Wilko Smokeless Coal

fergyguy

Featured Posts

I was considering buying 40 x 25kg bags of smokeless fuel which works out at £7 per bag  but noticed today in Wilko today 10kg bags are £4 so equates to £10 for 25kg so just wondering if it’s worth trying to avoid having to find somewhere to free store a bulk purchase from coal merchant.

Haven’t tried the Wilco stuff, but we have used Aldi, Lidl and Wickes, and assume that they all come from a similar source.   Not terribly impressed, hard to light, burns quickly and creates large amounts of ash.  In the end, I am not sure that it is any better value than SuperTherm, which we pay £11 per 25kg for.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

Haven’t tried the Wilco stuff, but we have used Aldi, Lidl and Wickes, and assume that they all come from a similar source.   Not terribly impressed, hard to light, burns quickly and creates large amounts of ash.  In the end, I am not sure that it is any better value than SuperTherm, which we pay £11 per 25kg for.

I agree fully. The only thing in the favour of the 10 kg bags I've used is their weight..

17 hours ago, fergyguy said:

I was considering buying 40 x 25kg bags of smokeless fuel which works out at £7 per bag  but noticed today in Wilko today 10kg bags are £4 so equates to £10 for 25kg so just wondering if it’s worth trying to avoid having to find somewhere to free store a bulk purchase from coal merchant.

Not sure where you are precisely but Midland are promoting 10% off for six bags or more. Mercia Midland is your closest.

I wouldn’t bother with the 10kg bags. There’s a reason it’s inexpensive.

Edited by Nightwatch

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Our flavourite at the moment is Excel. They didn’t have it a week ago so we are on Supertherm. Not as good. Bought three bags to see us through till they have more Excel.

Excel is always "my go" to fuel too, but I haven't found a handy supplier since relocating so I've tried a few lately, all worse in every way - heat, fumes, ash. I'm currently burning my third bag of "Newheat" at  £9.50 for 20kg from Saltisford Arm and I'm rather pleased. A little more ash than Excel, but not bad at all, a fair bit better in terms of fumes.  Big ovals, but easy to light. It may well be my new preferred choice, although Excel remains high on my list.

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Thanks nightwatch I’ll take a look as the boat I’m buying is moored at Mercia 

Don’t know if it’s still the case but both MC and the Still Waters shop here were having trouble getting supplies a couple of weeks ago. That cold snap meant that the big buyers were snaffling all the stock.

7 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Don’t know if it’s still the case but both MC and the Still Waters shop here were having trouble getting supplies a couple of weeks ago. That cold snap meant that the big buyers were snaffling all the stock.

MC seem to run out rather quickly. It would make sense to buy more, but they may well have restrictions of some sort, one may, indeed, be your explanation.

Well at the Wilko here in Loughborough the 10 kilo bags are Blaze.  The same as sold in Wickes, but a bit cheaper at Wilko. 

It may not be the very best quality, but at equivalent to £10 for 25 kilos, it really is quite good value. We regularly burn Blaze. 

13 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

The Wickes store local to me used to leave 3 pallets of coal out the front every night , the store is set back from the road behind its own car park and totally in the dark with no CCTV, god knows how much they lost but all because they were too lazy to fork lift the pallets inside after closing. 

Some people just dont give a fork.

• Haha 1

I used a mixture of 'red' and petcoke. Petcoke is excellent value and more controllable/ easier to light than anthracite. Care needs to be taken though, apparently it can burn through grates if it's given too much air. Petcoke burns clean with no smoke, and leaves very little ash. I used 'red' overnight as I can't keep petcoke in for 8 hours.