Vetus pump out toilet

pfishuk

Featured Posts

We have a vetus pump out toilet that seems to be blocked and back filling

We know the tank isn't full as we can see the level in it. We dont use it for solids and only a 2 sheets of paper at any one use. Two things really. 

Any idea how to unblock it

Any idea how to stop it blocking?

Cheers

11 minutes ago, pfishuk said:

It won't be pleasant but its the 'cost' of having a pump out.

Have you had a visitor (who may of put something in they shouldn't)

You need to open the 'flap' insert your hand and have a feel around for a blockage - it could be something as simple as a build up of 'lime scale' (this is very common on Vetus units in particular) in which case the pipe will be a fraction of its original diameter and will need replacing.

It builds up particularly badly if the urine does not have sufficient water to dilute it - the crystals build up and completely close off the pipe.

This is a boat 'toilet pipe'

Image result for toilet pipe lime scale

11 minutes ago, pfishuk said:

Remove the whole system and replace it with a proper toilet system (cassette) which is much more reliable, convenient and free of charge to empty.

It is surprising the number of boats that change from pump-out to cassette, but you rarely hear of anyone going the other way.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, pfishuk said:

We have a vetus pump out toilet that seems to be blocked and back filling

We know the tank isn't full as we can see the level in it. We dont use it for solids and only a 2 sheets of paper at any one use. Two things really. 

Cheers

If its anything like a Vetus HATO macerator all the gubbins are in a 'sandwich' box and you may well need to empty and clean this out. These used a fairly small bore pipe to the tank so it may well be scaled up as Alan says. 

Once cleaned and working giving it regular doses of descaler should help.

6 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

If its anything like a Vetus HATO macerator all the gubbins are in a 'sandwich' box and you may well need to empty and clean this out. These used a fairly small bore pipe to the tank so it may well be scaled up as Alan says. 

Once cleaned and working giving it regular doses of descaler should help.

Biological washing powder will remove the scale eventually once you get some flow through it. Lime scale will dissolve in bleach too. If the pipe is flexible try bending it to break up the scale but start at the tank end.

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Biological washing powder will remove the scale eventually once you get some flow through it. Lime scale will dissolve in bleach too. If the pipe is flexible try bending it to break up the scale but start at the tank end.

Hadnt thought of biological powder. Always thought cheap white vinegar was quite effective and harmless with the added advantage if it doesnt work you have something to put on your chips. Obviously I dont mean after you have already tried it in the loo ?

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the TV adverts for lime scale remover, bleach won't break down lime scale, it just 'bleaches' it.

They actually show examples …………...

Are they telling Porkies ?

It is used in a dairy as limestone remover for the auto milking system,  Hypochlorite I think. That is a bleach is it? Failed chemistry when sulfur was spelt with ph.

7 hours ago, pfishuk said:

We dont use it for solids and only a 2 sheets of paper at any one use.

Don’t get me wrong, I fall firmly in the pump out camp, but this type of toilet regime makes me wonder why on earth you bother having a toilet on board at all!

Dont put anything that hasnt gone through your body down the toilet...ie put all paper in a  nappy sack and chuck that in the bin. Far less chance of problems.

We use a Leesan vacuflush system which is very good and only suffers if you eat sweetcorn......if you dont put the paper down.

Mine was nearly new when it blocked. I used a wet and dry vac to suck the bowl out, stripped it down, checked the blades and descaled the lot. Never did find exactly where it blocked but they have ridiculous small diameter pipes and ninety degree bends behind the pan.

I no longer put paper down ours anymore either.

9 minutes ago, CV32 said:

thin single/double ply cheap stuff that disintegrates in a glass of water

That's the stuff that 'lets you feel the inner man'. Just keep your finger nails short.

And, folks say cassettes are complicated / awkward / difficult / dirty !!

These pump-outs don't seem to be the panacea they are offered as being. (Limescale blocked pipes, yeast, air-vents, burst/rusted thru tanks, special toilet paper, or, keep used toilet paper in a carrier bag at the side of the toilet - 3rd world technology)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the stuff that 'lets you feel the inner man'. Just keep your finger nails short.

And, folks say cassettes are complicated / awkward / difficult / dirty !!

These pump-outs don't seem to be the panacea they are offered as being. (Limescale blocked pipes, yeast, air-vents, burst/rusted thru tanks, special toilet paper, or, keep used toilet paper in a carrier bag at the side of the toilet - 3rd world technology)

But the thing is the reliability arguement is skewed towards condemnation of unreliable pump out systems because those who have had no such problems with their pump out systems simply dare not say anything for fear of invoking the "commentator's curse" (or whatever the forum equivalent is)! 

Thanks all. Manned up and emptied the bowl this morning will whack a load of oust down there today and leave it for a while to see what happens. Luckily have a portapotti for emergencies. 

Just out of interest how much would it cost to strip out the pump.out system and replace with a cassette. I'm in Leicestershire and would need some knee to do it for us.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

But the thing is the reliability arguement is skewed towards condemnation of unreliable pump out systems because those who have had no such problems with their pump out systems simply dare not say anything for fear of invoking the "commentator's curse" (or whatever the forum equivalent is)! 

In the 3 years we have had this boat, I have had to dismantle our vacuflush pump 3 times to remove stuff from the duck valves. Not sure why they have to use ducks to make them though? A messy 1 hour job but exposure to smells etc is only for very short time. Far nicer than a twice a week cartridge empty. If our vacuum pump had been put in an a more accessible place then the job would take a quarter of the time.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

In the 3 years we have had this boat, I have had to dismantle our vacuflush pump 3 times to remove stuff from the duck valves. Not sure why they have to use ducks to make them though? A messy 1 hour job but exposure to smells etc is only for very short time. Far nicer than a twice a week cartridge empty. If our vacuum pump had been put in an a more accessible place then the job would take a quarter of the time.

Now you see my point - to sing the praises of my ten year old trouble free Jabsco macerator would be to court disaster. If I now have a problem, the first thing through my newly mended macerator will be your duck and hang the consequences! 

• Happy 1

I usually wait till a pumpout is due then chuck a pint of spirit vinegar down the toilet and send it through a little at a time. Worst thing I ever did was put bleach down there when I first got the boat. The bedroom stank of poo for nearly two years after that. Finally got everything smelling fine, just add a teaspoon of Silky RX once a month and I give the pumpout pipe a quick second rinse to clean the pipe after every pumpout.

I use this every 6 months to clear the limescale from my Vetus macerator toilet the day before a pump out, but don't ever add anything else to it in between pump outs.

https://www.prokleen.co.uk/pro-kleen-toilet-macerator-descaler-and-cleaner

No smells, no limescale.

Edited by cuthound
To add the missing link & unmangle the effects of autocorrect

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

I use this every 6 months to clear the limescale from my Vetus moderator toilet the day before a pump out, but don't ever add anything else to it in between pump outs.

https://www.prokleen.co.uk/pro-kleen-toilet-macerator-descaler-and-cleaner

No smells, no limescale.

Ahem. I think you meant Vetus masturbator toilet, not Vetus moderator!

• Haha 1