Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

But you do not have an enquiry into the death of someone, & I do not receive an inquiry when someone asks me for a quotation.

There is no reason not to. The words are interchangeable in both those cases.

According to Bill Bryson, who appeared to have spent quite some time conducting research, much of what we now think of as American English more accurately represents English as it was when originally taken across the pond. It is now only seen as Americanism because English here has altered from it.  Whilst the upstarts have corrupted a fair bit, what they have corrupted is not as clear cut as we appear to think.

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

According to Bill Bryson, who appeared to have spent quite some time conducting research, much of what we now think of as American English more accurately represents English as it was when originally taken across the pond. It is now only seen as Americanism because English here has altered from it.  Whilst the upstarts have corrupted a fair bit, what they have corrupted is not as clear cut as we appear to think.

Surely cheque/check colour/color theatre/theater etc aren’t original English. That was just uneducated immigrants who couldn’t spel...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Surely cheque/check colour/color theatre/theater etc aren’t original English. That was just uneducated immigrants who couldn’t spel...

Color, honor and favor all appeared in Shakespeare's works - as did colour, honour and favour. Standardisation of English spelling only really spread with the wider availability of printed books. Before that, spellings were all over the place.It's comparable with the standardisation of time throughout Britain, which didn't happen until the spread of railways in the mid-19th century - both phenomena were a result of technological progress.

I think the use of the -er, as in center and theater, was standardised (or standardized) in the U.S. by the influential Webster's dictionary, first published about 1830.

Edited by Athy

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

Color, honor and favor all appeared in Shakespeare's works - as did colour, honour and favour. Standardisation of English spelling only really spread with the wider availability of printed books. Before that, spellings were all over the place.It's comparable with the standardisation of time throughout Britain, which didn't happen until the spread of railways in the mid-19th century - both phenomena were a result of technological progress.

I think the use of the -er, as in center and theater, was standardised (or standardized) in the U.S. by the influential Webster's dictionary, first published about 1830.

As a primary school pupil in the mid 60's my sister was part of an 'Department of Education' experiment ( I don't know if it was County wide, Regional or National) to show that spelling didn't matter. She was 'taught' to spell any word phonetically, which resulted in, as you can imagine' a wide range of spellings for the same word across the whole class. From memory the experiment only lasted a couple of terms, or maybe one-year but it put them all a year behind in their level of English which carried all the way through into secondary school.

She did eventually 'catch up' and became a Teacher herself.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Evening all!

Just got back from my 1st day at work after the hols and one of my colleagues is married to a man who fits heating systems into narrowboat! How useful is that going to be ? :D 

I had heard that relying on one stove for heat leads to inconsistencies in temperature so maintaining a consistent temperature throughout the boat help ward off damp. So I was kind of thinking I need an efficient heating system that goes beyond just a small stove, even in a 30 ft boat. Lucky to have a colleague who can help me out at mates rates eh? 

3 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

How useful is that going to be ?

It depends if he is qualified in the dark arts of gravity systems or not.

ETA, though on a 30 ft boat, you may not need any rads.

Edited by rusty69

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

Color, honor and favor all appeared in Shakespeare's works - as did colour, honour and favour. Standardisation of English spelling only really spread with the wider availability of printed books. Before that, spellings were all over the place.

So it’s all Gutenberg’s fault then?  I might have known...

6 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I have much to learn... :) 

And the more you learn the more you’ll realise just how much you have yet to learn...

Much like any new pastime I guess. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

I think it's a little unfair to blame Greta for that too!

Oh, wrong Berg.

Oh I dunno... she’s fair game ;)

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It depends if he is qualified in the dark arts of gravity systems or not.

ETA, though on a 30 ft boat, you may not need any rads.

Depends also on what he fits. 

29 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Just got back from my 1st day at work after the hols and one of my colleagues is married to a man who fits heating systems into narrowboat! How useful is that going to be ? :D 

I had heard that relying on one stove for heat leads to inconsistencies in temperature so maintaining a consistent temperature throughout the boat help ward off damp. So I was kind of thinking I need an efficient heating system that goes beyond just a small stove, even in a 30 ft boat. Lucky to have a colleague who can help me out at mates rates eh? 

Very, I hope!

A couple of pages ago, amidst the off-topic merriment which is such a feature of our forum, I did mention a 38-foot "Little Gem" class boat which was for sale, and did point out that one of its minus points was the fact that it had central heating but no solid-fuel stove. Many people like to have two methods of heating their boat, of which one is a stove: they aren't all perfect but they rarely break down completely [the stoves I mean, not the people], unlike diesel-powered central heating systems. So, if your Eberspacher (a leading brand of diesel central heating unit, often referred to by grosser names on here) goes "shan't", you can burn some wood in your stove and keep warm.

You may be surprised how the heat from a stove permeates throughout a narrowboat - at least, a shortish one - which is after all a quite confined space, as long as you don't leave doors and windows staring wide open.

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And the more you learn the more you’ll realise just how much you have yet to learn...

Much like any new pastime I guess. 

Oh I dunno... she’s fair game ;)

Depends also on what he fits. 

Quite right. When I began train spotting I got everso lost.

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Quite right. When I began train spotting I got everso lost.

When I first started train spotting, they kept shouting at me and taking away my paint pot and brush.

Then somebody explained....

3 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Evening all!

In a small boat I would just have a small stove with backboiler to heat hot water via a calorifier and a radiator, easy and cheap Vanessa plus reliable

• Happy 1

Open plan, bedsit style for short boats, even the lavatory can be included in the open plan with decent curtains at the windows,  stove in the middle of course.

The Porta-Pottie can even be brought in front of the stove for a warm and comfy ''sit on'' whilst watching the telly. :)

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Possibly not very!

As most decent second hand narrow boats already have a heating system....

On 06/01/2020 at 17:58, Mike the Boilerman said:

When I first started train spotting, they kept shouting at me and taking away my paint pot and brush.

Then somebody explained....

That looks a bit like a "joke". Only smaller. 

• Greenie 1