Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Above and also backing the kind words of MTB

Lots of good local ish places to meet narrowboat owners,

Stanley Ferry (park in ferry boat PH car park) you can walk for almost a mile and talk to boaters on the tow path (both sides) I have a couple of friends who live there and love to chat, although they have to close the blinds when eating because some gongoozelers thing its feeding time at the zoo. There is also a nature reserve there.

Lemonroyde is now appointment only. Woodlesford is very pleasant and a small but very friendly community (they do have activities within the community)

I personally like Savile town Dewsbury, visited both by car and boat., quote from the cut -  "Wi luk afta each uther in here"

Gargrave is nice but not many perminant boats, ones we met were helpful but didn't have a very nice word for the local youth, personally I thought they were ok.

Aspley (Huddersfield), stayed a couple of times here and was made to feel very welcome, We were invited to moor on one of the private spots so we were on the "right side" of the canal.

There are loads more, Yorkshire is a wounderful place for good, honest, diverse people (Visist Hebbon Bridge, wind chime or dream catcher ever other shop, bread & milk walk for miles - love it been by boat about six times)

Yes there are a scattering of those mentioned before but eh stuff the lastards its their glass that's half empty not yours "fill it up lass and gu fo it"

Thank you for your kind words :) 

I shall indeed “gu fo it” x

21 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I’m sure as a single woman yourself you can understand why it’s important to make that clear when taking to strangers on line. 

You seem put out that conversations happen on here that are not to your liking. I suggest you stop following posts like this one so avidly and scroll on by. Let people be , your nasty bitterness is as unattractive as it is unwelcome.

Er, no. Gender has little to do with boat plumbing. (Male/female fittings aside!).

But dharlibg it is light relief to feed the (glamour puss)  troll when not re-wiring! 

• Unimpressed 1

59 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Er, no. Gender has little to do with boat plumbing. (Male/female fittings aside!).

But dharlibg it is light relief to feed the (glamour puss)  troll when not re-wiring! 

Sigh....I meant that it’s important to make your single status clear when talking on line so men-and women- don’t start flirting or stalking. Happens quite a lot on line unless you disguise yourself, which strikes me as rather duplicitous. 

But do troll away if it amuses you. Sad to see that’s how you choose to get your kicks though. 

3 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

But do troll away if it amuses you. Sad to see that’s how you choose to get your kicks though. 

I wouldn't even bother answering if I was you, it all seems to have got rather pointless. ?

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I wouldn't even bother answering if I was you, it all seems to have got rather pointless. ?

You’re right, it’s becoming oddly depressing ? 

Ill add her to the blocked list so I can stay on here-clearly the intention is to drive me away as I’m not the right “type” to own a narrowboat. 

• Greenie 3

On 04/01/2020 at 21:49, Vanessa1402 said:

There are indeed some nice and interesting folk on here. 
When I joined this forum I had a preconceived idea that narrowboat folk were perhaps gently, thoughtful, perhaps a little bohemian. Seems I was way off target in many cases! Serves me right for paying attention to stereotypes I guess 

I think your preconceived idea is quite common. Usually when a newspaper does an article about narrowboating, they find a couple of young artists living on a boat in London/Bradford-on-Avon/Oxford/Hebden Bridge and take pictures inside their wacky boat.  Then there's George Clark who makes tv programmes about the same couples doing up their boats.  Those sorts of people do exist - especially in the places listed above.  But across the rest of the country, the typical boat owner is harder to pin down.  The most common sort you see (in my opinion) is this:  A retired couple in their late 60s to early 70s.  The don't live on the boat but go to it regularly, either to fettle about with it on its mooring, or to actually cruise on it.  He looks similar to Harold Shipman and she looks like a cheerful but slightly long suffering sort and has 'practical' hair.  They also like steam trains and folk music.

But the most common type of boat owner is in fact invisible.  Nobody knows what they look like.  Their boats are in marinas and boatyards all over the country, never visited, and slowly rotting away.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/01/2020 at 12:14, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how many forumites know, or care what CBSIFTECB is a mnemonic for ? If we all knew what everyone else knew then there wouldn't be much need for forums such as this, google, or even the Internet.

According to Google, it's not a mnemonic for anything:

image.png.64fe8e105738b8dc341942e255da5491.png

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

That was the only instance google could find of it, other than your post on here.

So not a proper mnemonic then.  Just a random series of letters.

It may not be well known by the 'average voter' but is well known (and important) to a pilot.

Other versions are available.

mnemonic
/nɪˈmɒnɪk/
noun
noun: mnemonic; plural noun: mnemonics
  1. a system such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations which assists in remembering something.

On 31/12/2019 at 01:34, Vanessa1402 said:

It was Peter Lord she met at Thought Bubble, I got mixed up with names :)

What, the bloke who used to flog carpets on telly? Or perhaps I've got mixed up with names.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I think your preconceived idea is quite common. Usually when a newspaper does an article about narrowboating, they find a couple of young artists living on a boat in London/Bradford-on-Avon/Oxford/Hebden Bridge and take pictures inside their wacky boat.  Then there's George Clark who makes tv programmes about the same couples doing up their boats.  Those sorts of people do exist - especially in the places listed above.  But across the rest of the country, the typical boat owner is harder to pin down.  The most common sort you see (in my opinion) is this:  A retired couple in their late 60s to early 70s.  The don't live on the boat but go to it regularly, either to fettle about with it on its mooring, or to actually cruise on it.  He looks similar to Harold Shipman and she looks like a cheerful but slightly long suffering sort and has 'practical' hair.  They also like steam trains and folk music.

But the most common type of boat owner is in fact invisible.  Nobody knows what they look like.  Their boats are in marinas and boatyards all over the country, never visited, and slowly rotting away.

Not laughing at you just laughing at the accuracy of your post! We have that mix of people on this mooring and the said boats rotting of course

• Greenie 1

Folk keep berating such boat owners, but they're (mostly at least) paying their CRT licence.  Would you rather: a. They all brought their boats out more to clog up the waterways; or, b.They didn't exist and the rest of us pay CRT more?

• Greenie 2

I’d argue that the most common type of new livaboard  boaters are very visible, unfortunately. His presence is known in advance (it’s usually a He), by floating debris escaping from overflowing bin bags on the back deck, and oily scum in the water. They’ll be various crap on the towpath or leaning on the hedge and quite often a convenient gap into the field behind to dump more unsavoury stuff out of sight. 

The boat itself will be listing badly, with black windows either from years of filth or stick on film. It doesn’t matter, as long as you can’t see in. Stuff is piled up in the bow against the padlocked door, the hull will have last been blacked in 1987, and you’ll pity the poor bugger that did a safety cert on it.

The occupant can be an elusive breed, rarely rising in daylight during winter months, but can be identified by dreadlocks, clothing that’s all various shades of black, a coat proudly emblazoned with a company name (that he’s DEFINITELY never worked for), and of course a can of strong lager in his hand. 

You’re very unlikely to ever see them on the move of course, which is a good thing. To be down wind of one for hours at 4mph isn’t going to be pleasant. 

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

I’d argue that the most common type of new livaboard  boaters are very visible, unfortunately. His presence is known in advance (it’s usually a He), by floating debris escaping from overflowing bin bags on the back deck, and oily scum in the water. They’ll be various crap on the towpath or leaning on the hedge and quite often a convenient gap into the field behind to dump more unsavoury stuff out of sight. 

The boat itself will be listing badly, with black windows either from years of filth or stick on film. It doesn’t matter, as long as you can’t see in. Stuff is piled up in the bow against the padlocked door, the hull will have last been blacked in 1987, and you’ll pity the poor bugger that did a safety cert on it.

The occupant can be an elusive breed, rarely rising in daylight during winter months, but can be identified by dreadlocks, clothing that’s all various shades of black, a coat proudly emblazoned with a company name (that he’s DEFINITELY never worked for), and of course a can of strong lager in his hand. 

You’re very unlikely to ever see them on the move of course, which is a good thing. To be down wind of one for hours at 4mph isn’t going to be pleasant. 

1.  Most boaters aren't liveaboards.

2. Your prejudice is obvious.

3. If they are a new liveaboard, then 'years of filth' will have nothing to do with them, nor will 33 years of no blacking.

4. Punching down for humour is never a good look.

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Folk keep berating such boat owners, but they're (mostly at least) paying their CRT licence.  Would you rather: a. They all brought their boats out more to clog up the waterways; or, b.They didn't exist and the rest of us pay CRT more?

I wasn't berating them.  Just stating a fact.  It's a source of bemusement to me, nothing more.

• Greenie 1

On 29/12/2019 at 06:44, Mad Harold said:

It may take a little time to find a 30 footish boat.Looking at ads,there are plenty of 50ft battleships,available but not many around 30ft.Also,few builders are making 30 footers anymore.Those that are available are likely to be fairly old,(1970s-1980s) so care will be needed when you buy.

My last boat was a 30ft narrowboat and it took several months to find it.

Certainly they aren't as prevalent as in the days when Springer, Barney etc. were bashing out lots of shorter boats. There are still builders making them: Aintree for example have their "Beetle" range which comes in several sizes starting at 25 feet.

For some years Midland Canal Centre alias Stenson Boats marketed their "Little Gem" range. The smallest was 31 feet and the next size up was 38 feet. There is currently a 38-footer for sale on Apollo Duck for £32,000., built in 2006. It does have a fixed bed (hoorah!) but appears to have no solid-fuel stove (boo!)

On 02/01/2020 at 22:40, Alan de Enfield said:

I think I was born in the wrong era - I just don't understand any of this Cods and Pollack's (Didn't mean to mention fish - maybe I got away with it !!).

Individually I understand the words, but string them together and ……………………………...

What Does Self-Partnering Mean?

In Western developed society self-partnering is barely recognised.

And even if we have some kind of idea what it might be, do we know how to do it?

Possibly not …

Self-partnering is the biggest determinant within this Thriver Community, because to have a true recovery after narcissistic abuse depends on one essential ingredient, “Am I willing to self-partner myself or not?”

Also is the willingness to understand this: “My relationship with narcissists reflects back to me how I am not as yet self-partnered, and how I can be affected in terrible ways because of this.”

Our unfortunate programming – the turning away from self-partnering – is the biggest reason why we were narcissistically abused … truly.

Therefore, it is time for this article, as this topic is too big to address in a video …. and I really hope it can help you if you are feeling confused about self-partnering.

I also deeply wish that you will be inspired to understand how everything in your life is determined by how self-partnered you are or aren’t.

I was recently advised, in   nother thread, to use "Google Translator". Will it help here?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was recently advised, in   nother thread, to use "Google Translator". Will it help here?

I wouldn't put that into Google in case "self partnering" turns out to be what we were once told would make you go blind...

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 23:00, AWETHEAYET said:

Please nobody Quote or re-post Alan D E last google post, I now have a blister on the wheel finger :(

I know you were mostly sorta joking but for anybody who finds themselves in that position again and doesn't realise that when you are Reading a post that has a very long quote in it you can collapse the quote. 

To the very left of the black bar of the quote is a white circle with an arrow in it, just tap or click the circle and it will collapse the quote to just the size of the black bar. Handy to know if you are scrolling though a thread with lots of graphics. 

70AE7FFD-E33B-47E8-8762-6651604D4DAE_4_5005_c.jpeg

8AF445BF-97CE-43AC-AE88-CC917706D93D_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Greenie 2