Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

well, all words are made up and emma watson is harry potter's girlfriend... but I understand what you are saying.... its difficult to keep up with popular culture when you are not actively into it.

And when you can't use google!

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

well, all words are made up and emma watson is harry potter's girlfriend... but I understand what you are saying.... its difficult to keep up with popular culture when you are not actively into it.

The nineties rang, they want your ROFLAMO back. 

I’m probably more au fait with popular culture because I work with teenagers- rarely get to the staff room to talk with other grown ups as I spend breaks manning the Library desk. Not much I don’t know about the teenspeak and my! Don’t they love it when I use it myself! True dat. 

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And when you can't use google!

Isn't that the suggestion that was made during the 'Welsh' debate. If you want to look you can do, if you don't then don't.

Why would I want to find out who Emma Watson is ?

Why would anyone presume that I know who she is ?

I wonder how many forumites know, or care what CBSIFTECB is a mnemonic for ? If we all knew what everyone else knew then there wouldn't be much need for forums such as this, google, or even the Internet.

15 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I’m probably more au fait with popular culture because I work with teenagers- rarely get to the staff room to talk with other grown ups as I spend breaks manning the Library desk. Not much I don’t know about the teenspeak and my! Don’t they love it when I use it myself! True dat. 

ha ha, for some reason I find it hilarious imagining an angry teenage girl trapped in a 51yr old woman's body...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

News headlines this morning declared someone I've never heard of has decided she is 'Pansexual'. Thinking it may involve kitchen equipment I thought I'd look for a definition :

"not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity".

Is that different to 'bi-sexual' for which the definition appears to be :

"sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women".

Yeahbut.....

The woman concerned is a Liberal MP.

So there really is no hope for her!

32 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Innit.

But 'manning'?

Tsk tsk, staffing, surely.

?

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's why I have never heard of her.

A rare-breed indeed.

just saw news, its Layla Moran who thinks it will damage her career... the other day Jo Swinson said she is proud to break glass ceiling...

I always thought lib dems are socially progressive bunch... so its a bit strange ... anyway its all offtopic...

on topic... @Alan de Enfield ... do you watch graham norton show?

Edited by restlessnomad

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, But I know who he is.

ah, that show is my guilty pleasure, he got this massive red sofa where show biz ppl sit and promote their product, and usually a singer sings at the end... unlike other chat shows its pretty friendly and funny... mainly because graham is a top class host.

I dont read tabloid newspaper, hardly watch any movies now a days.... so this bearded gay fella is my only source of celebrity news.

Edited by restlessnomad

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how many forumites know, or care what CBSIFTECB is a mnemonic for ? If we all knew what everyone else knew then there wouldn't be much need for forums such as this, google, or even the Internet.

That's a googlewhack. At least until this page is found by Google. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You win todays star prize.

They are Pre take off checks, 

Then someone has to say “chop suey, ready for take off”, iirc....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Wring word

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yeahbut.....

The woman concerned is a Liberal MP.

So there really is no hope for her!

Innit.

But 'manning'?

Tsk tsk, staffing, surely.

?

Lame come back. 

5 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

ha ha, for some reason I find it hilarious imagining an angry teenage girl trapped in a 51yr old woman's body...

That’s me exactly! :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't that the suggestion that was made during the 'Welsh' debate. If you want to look you can do, if you don't then don't.

Why would I want to find out who Emma Watson is ?

Why would anyone presume that I know who she is ?

It’s the implication that knowing something about popular culture is something to be sneered at that I found objectionable. 

To get back on topic, I'm now confused! should I get off the boat and open the gate for my partner or stay on and let my partner open it for me :)

One thing I have found out in life is we are not the finished articule and we should all be willing to learn, I didn't know that classing someone as single had other implication, like for example I used to use the phrase mixed race until someone educated me that this implies there is a pure race. Life is about learning and one should never close our minds to new concepts and new ways of looking at things, what is importent to me is it is better to respect others, even if you disagree with what they say, than to attack them personally.

Any way back to the boating, my partner and I have agreed, next lock we are both getting off and we'll whistle the bugger through.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

what is importent to me is it is better to respect others, even if you disagree with what they say, than to attack them personally.

We used to use the expression here "play the ball, not the man", but Team Mod seem to have forgotten that these days.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

News headlines this morning declared someone I've never heard of has decided she is 'Pansexual'. Thinking it may involve kitchen equipment I thought I'd look for a definition :

"not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity".

Is that different to 'bi-sexual' for which the definition appears to be :

"sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women".

I must confess I never liked steering the boat. It went back to our hiring days when I made a right royal arse of myself (the whole thing just seemed so counter intuitive, plus I'd try to correct mistakes far too quickly and get into a silly weave). Hubby and son took to it really quickly, plus I loved the social interaction of lockwheeling.

When we lived aboard I knew I should try again and did, the problem is there are so many judgemental men of a certain age on the cut just waiting for the female steerer to get it wrong and so derisory when you do. It made me miserable, and that wasn't why we were boating.

Dave and I worked out once that on a flight of locks he did far more work than me. I'd walk ahead and set the locks leaving him single handed. We'd do a whole flight of locks without seeing each other sometimes. It was a system that worked well and efficiently for us (oh how I miss the joy of efficient lock working!)

It was so annoying that whenever I met someone they'd see me with a windlass and say "he's making you do the work" knowing he'd be arriving at a lock set for him with the gates open but the rest was up to him. My job was definitely the easiest, no doubt about that.

If I could go back in time and do things differently I'd make more of an effort to steer - I know Dave envied me the lockside interaction I had, particularly when we were in a big queue for the lock when I used to walk to the front and help while he was left holding the boat.

It's best not to look back with regret though - we had the best seven years of our lives when we lived aboard and met a fantastic group of friends that I hope will be friends for life. We were incredibly lucky to have had that experience.

Edited by Ange
added a bit
  • Love 1