Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are struggling to find something to criticise today "most people" ???

I know of no-one who refers to their cassette as a 'toilet tank'.

Not at all - MtB just like to pick arguments and start wind-ups,

The correct term for a 'tank' is 'tank' and the correct term for a 'cassette' is 'cassette'.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for your new (boating) year.

I also have never heard anyone call their cassette a tank.

Vanessa - it's worth looking into different toilet options (its a mucky subject but necessary).  The two main types are a removable cassette (like a caravan has) or a built-in pump out tank.  Both have pros and cons.  Some boats have a composting toilet but opinions vary on whether these are brilliant or a disaster.  I have a cassette which is good for being free to empty and I can empty it without having to move my boat.  However, it needs emptying regularly and it's heavy to lug about.  A pump out tank will cost you money to empty but is more civilised since someone else does it for you.  It's a big problem if your boat is iced in though and they can make your boat smell if not installed well.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This forum is no exception and I've heard about a female boater who was on this forum before my time and was driven off by this sort of thing.

Just the one? There are about five that I can think of immediately and that I know in real life and there is probably a further dozen or two I've never met.

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

They always think that being sexist is something that other boaters do, but they are not like that at all! 

I know you consider me one of the sexist pigs on here and you are dead right in what you say above.  I was only saying this exact thing to somebody yesterday, that none of us considers ourselves sexist, it's all the others. I can see it in others too but it's so disappointing I can't see it in myself, even when I try to see.

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Vanessa, explore your profile list under your name top left home screen and particularly the ignore option, it will rid you off the sexist clown/s on here.  Top Tip.

I tried that, but the problem is that the threads stop making any sense without some of the posts showing.

17 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Dear me, if you think being a Librarian is all about issuing , discharging and shelving stock then you have been severely misinformed!

Librarians assist in sourcing reliable information - mostly using on line resources. They also encourage the enjoyment of literature - organising book groups (yes, kindles are allowed!) author events, read to children, help customers complete on line forms , such as application for Universal Credit, provide a safe and welcoming haven in which to enjoy peaceful activities -as well as read. None of these necessarily require paper. You are aware that libraries provide e-books and audio books I suppose?
However, I am a school Librarian. My job involves even less paper. I run reading schemes whereby my students complete on line quizzes on books they have read - enjoyable for them but provides me with plenty of diagnostic information which I can use to justify reading interventions or SEN provision. I also teach, running both lessons for struggling students and intensive study to prepare our older students for exams. 
All things considered, I think my job will be quite safe if paper books do disappear. Thanks for the concern though ;)

Point taken, and there was me thinking libraries need books

:)

Here's a book every library should have.

https://www.fantompublishing.co.uk/product/k9-stole-trousers/

20 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Point taken, and there was me thinking libraries need books

Here's a book every library should have.

https://www.fantompublishing.co.uk/product/k9-stole-trousers/

That does look worth a read! I’ll buy one for my Library, and maybe one for my daughter too? She’s a freelance artist but her degree (1st class honours but I don’t like to brag...) is in animation. I think she may have met this chap at Thought Bubble in Leeds when she was stewarding? Met one of the W&G chaps anyway! I’ll ask her :) 

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I also have never heard anyone call their cassette a tank.

Vanessa - it's worth looking into different toilet options (its a mucky subject but necessary).  The two main types are a removable cassette (like a caravan has) or a built-in pump out tank.  Both have pros and cons.  Some boats have a composting toilet but opinions vary on whether these are brilliant or a disaster.  I have a cassette which is good for being free to empty and I can empty it without having to move my boat.  However, it needs emptying regularly and it's heavy to lug about.  A pump out tank will cost you money to empty but is more civilised since someone else does it for you.  It's a big problem if your boat is iced in though and they can make your boat smell if not installed well.

My preference was always for cassette toilets. Several reasons for this. Once, in the early days when hiring a boat with friends and a full tank, we were turned away from the only nearby yard that could offer a pump out because it was their hire fleet turn round day and they claimed they were too busy to help, including pumping out their own fleet. I also used to carry spare cassette tanks (on my last boat we had two spares plus the one in use......but it was designed with suitable storage for those 2 spare cassettes as the boat was built to our specs). That means that if for some reason, such as ice or canal stoppage, you got stuck some distance from a disposal site you can last a bit longer or, if push comes to shove, you can carry one down the towpath. You can't do any of that with a pump out tank.

Roger

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Albion said:

My preference was always for cassette toilets. Several reasons for this. Once, in the early days when hiring a boat with friends and a full tank, we were turned away from the only nearby yard that could offer a pump out because it was their hire fleet turn round day and they claimed they were too busy to help, including pumping out their own fleet. I also used to carry spare cassette tanks (on my last boat we had two spares plus the one in use......but it was designed with suitable storage for those 2 spare cassettes as the boat was built to our specs). That means that if for some reason, such as ice or canal stoppage, you got stuck some distance from a disposal site you can last a bit longer or, if push comes to shove, you can carry one down the towpath. You can't do any of that with a pump out tank.

Roger

If I was having a new boat built for me, I'd have a pump out toilet with a large dump-through tank and an emergency portapotty tucked away somewhere.

Good morning

Having read through quite a lot, here's my take. I retired from teaching 6 years ago and decided a boat would be a good way to keep me active. I bought Halcyon, which was a 36 foot, cruiser stern. I learnt a lot and decided that I liked being out and about on the water. I do have a house, but go to my boat in Thorne every week. A couple of years ago, I decided to have a shell built for me to fit out ( I was a Design Technology teacher ). The new boat is 40 foot long, still a cruiser stern, and I designed the interior to be 8 foot saloon, 5 foot galley, 5 foot shower and 8 foot bedroom. I'm still working on the fitout, but there's a video here showing current progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEg5UG8d1s

I went away this year for over 3 months. Coming home through Leicester, I met up with a dear lady called Ann from Ripon who manages her boat single handed. She had been away all of the summer. Her boat is 30 foot, but is a Sea Otter, made of aluminium, this makes it much lighter than a standard narrowboat. I mention Ann because she is in her 80's and I'm sure many others on here have come across her.

I would say that, for your own comfort, a 30 foot boat could be a little small and 36 to 40 would be better. They are also very easy to handle as a single handed boater.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If I was having a new boat built for me, I'd have a pump out toilet with a large dump-through tank and an emergency portapotty tucked away somewhere.

I would still go for a composting bog though, I agree about the dump through though far better than a macarator can be the work of the devil!!

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

£5400?  Some people live on boats which cost less than that!

True, but you only ever buy one, mine was made in 1948. And all spares are available.

There are often a few on ebay. one at present at only £500.

Some folk spend more than that on spare cassettes.................................................................

Hi,

Firstly good luck and remember all the posts on here are just opinion although most I am sure are well meant.

I am in a similar position to you and have spent the last few weeks looking around for a boat to live on.

I have found one that I really like and and have been to see it twice, the last time with friends for a second pair of eyes.

It is nice and tidy, airy and light yet still cosy, Recent blacking and in what appears to be superb condition and well maintained.

Even has double glazing!

I reckon I could move on with a suitcaes and a bag of shopping!

I think the boat will go for 30K although the poster price is considerably higher.

Although I really like this one and it has made me smile on both visits, practically I also know there are many others out there and there is no rush to make a poor choice.

I have spent a lot of time doing "research" including a couple of old fashioned books and online as well as Marina visits..

I have seen about a dozen boats, some are Ok, some are complete dumps and others have potential...

The one thing that always comes up time and again is get a FULL Survey done by a reputable professional Marine Surveyor.

Good luck and happy New Year.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Paddlin Panda said:

Hi,

Firstly good luck and remember all the posts on here are just opinion although most I am sure are well meant.

I am in a similar position to you and have spent the last few weeks looking around for a boat to live on.

I have found one that I really like and and have been to see it twice, the last time with friends for a second pair of eyes.

It is nice and tidy, airy and light yet still cosy, Recent blacking and in what appears to be superb condition and well maintained.

Even has double glazing!

I think the boat will go for 30K although the poster price is considerably higher.

Although I really like this one and it has made me smile on both visits, practically I also know there are many others out there and there is no rush to make a poor choice.

I have spent a lot of time doing "research" including a couple of old fashioned books and online as well as Marina visits..

I have seen about a dozen boats, some are Ok, some are complete dumps and others have potential...

The one thing that always comes up time and again is get a FULL Survey done by a reputable professional Marine Surveyor.

A lot on here dont trust surveys I am afraid I have bought 3 times first with waste of money 2 without saved me a fortune on the survey

Top tip:  make sure you are there for the survey.  Go round with him and ask questions. 

Makes complete sense to me.

They will be working for me/you and it will be a good opportunity to learn and see what the boat looks like out of the water.

If anything needs moving for access one can at least supervise or do it yourself.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

That does look worth a read! I’ll buy one for my Library, and maybe one for my daughter too? She’s a freelance artist but her degree (1st class honours but I don’t like to brag...) is in animation. I think she may have met this chap at Thought Bubble in Leeds when she was stewarding? Met one of the W&G chaps anyway! I’ll ask her :) 

5 hours ago, Paddlin Panda said:

Hi,

Even has double glazing!

All posts on here are of each person's own opinion. However just as a for instance we have lived aboard over thirty years on 8 different boats so have more idea than plenty of the noobs who stick stuff on such as you tube. All opinions are valid but....? 

• Greenie 1

All posts on here are of each person's own opinion. However just as a for instance we have lived aboard over thirty years on 8 different boats so have more idea than plenty of the noobs who stick stuff on such as you tube. All opinions are valid but....? 

Thank you, the point is understood.

Happy New Year.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Wow!!  Eight boats. Are they all tied together, must look like Hong Kong harbour. Must be a devil of a job searching for the Mrs on each one, which one you dine on, sleep on, toilet on, do the washing on ect.  Have you and the Mrs had a big row ?  :unsure:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Wow!!  Eight boats. Are they all tied together, must look like Hong Kong harbour. Must be a devil of a job searching for the Mrs on each one, which one you dine on, sleep on, toilet on, do the washing on ect.  Have you and the Mrs had a big row ?  :unsure:

6 up on AdeE then! who has two boats tied together.

• Haha 2