Has anyone used this site before?

m11kyg

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Must say, I'm particularly impressed that £2m boat according to the listing, has a TV aerial.

I notice that re houses too. Multimillion pads in the sticks circa 4 acres etc and one of the common features listed is "private parking".

5 minutes ago, m11kyg said:

I only ask as it's not one i've seen before and i'm sellling my boat soon and since this one claims to be free i thought i'd ask the question and see if anyone has used it before?

It depends on what sort of boat you have.  If you've not heard of it (neither have I) then most inland boat owners won't have either.  It's based in Southampton, that well-known canal centre.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And how peed off would you be if it didn't ;)

Especially if you didn't realise until it was delivered!

36 minutes ago, m11kyg said:

I only ask as it's not one i've seen before and i'm sellling my boat soon and since this one claims to be free i thought i'd ask the question and see if anyone has used it before?

Please forgive the somewhat arch responses. As a new poster it initially looked like you were only here to promote you own new website!

As it's free I don't see it matters or not.

Relying on the advertiser to write their own advert often leads to poorly constructed blurb. 

I'm not in the market, but the Yarwoods tanker barge caught my eye. 

Particularly I was curious about the wheelhouse and engine room.  Neither appear in the photos but we do get two of the bath!

This business is located less than 2 miles from Canal Walk, Southampton, site of the Southampton -Salisbury Canal which closed down in approx. 1803.

However it is in the Solent which attracts sea going craft rather than Narrowboats, there was an ex Black Prince narrowboat used for residential use moored on the River Hamble nearby until a few years ago

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It won't be free I predict, once you actually craft a decent advert and try to publish it, whatever the front page says...

No harm in placing the advert over 60 narrowboats listed. If they want a fee then don't pay it.

14 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

No harm in placing the advert over 60 narrowboats listed. If they want a fee then don't pay it.

I agree, I was just speculating. Maybe it really is free and they are trying to compete with the (also free) apolloduck which usually has about 1,000 narrowboats listed. 

Apolloduck make their money by charging you to add extra photos and other improvements beyond the basic level free advert. I suspect boatsforsale.co.uk will be doing the same.   Would be interesting to see an iteration of the site from say six months ago, to see if all the boats for sale have changed, or are all still the same. 

• Greenie 1

I have never seen this site referenced here (or anywhere else) before, though it claims to have been running since 1997.  But I have seen hundreds if not thousands of references to Apolloduck. Place a free ad if you like, but don't expect it to generate many (any) prospective buyers.

I bought my boat through it, from a broker who rarely dealt in narrow beam canal going boats (I know I'll get told off if I pass my plastic boat off as a narrowboat). 

I was told I was the first person to look at it, and it had been listed for 2 months. Meant I haggled hard, so I wouldn't advise selling through there solely. 

• Greenie 1