Resealing Caldwell's windows

Featured Posts

Hello all you wonderful people, I wondered if any of you knew of a good window fitter in the London/Uxbridge area , I have 3 windows that need re sealing , willing to pay obviously, and plenty of tea and biscuits of course , any reply will be greatly appreciated, thank you all for your time.

Strange that you have had no response. I can’t personally help. But may I ask is it to seal the glass in the frames or the frames to the boat side?

We have Caldwell Windows. We had a couple of tiny seepage issues a few years ago. Rather than take out the frames I tried to loosen the retaining screws near to where we thought the penetration was, (some screws didn’t budge) anyway applied a very small sliver of sealant along the edge of the frame and carefully wiped off with a damp cloth. What couldn’t be wiped off sealed the gap. Tighten the few screws that did move. I was surprised that it worked. Saved a load of hassle.

15 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Strange that you have had no response. I can’t personally help. But may I ask is it to seal the glass in the frames or the frames to the boat side?

We have Caldwell Windows. We had a couple of tiny seepage issues a few years ago. Rather than take out the frames I tried to loosen the retaining screws near to where we thought the penetration was, (some screws didn’t budge) anyway applied a very small sliver of sealant along the edge of the frame and carefully wiped off with a damp cloth. What couldn’t be wiped off sealed the gap. Tighten the few screws that did move. I was surprised that it worked. Saved a load of hassle.

That sounds like a neat trick and may try it, it may help till a proper fix, thank you 

Just now, tortuga guy said:

That sounds like a neat trick and may try it, it may help till a proper fix, thank you 

Oh its the frame BTW, thanks again. 

Have they changed the formulation of Captain Tolley? The liquid in my previous tube was extremely white (like milk) and worked perfectly; last year it ran out and I bought some more. Not only was it a relatively clear liquid (still white but almost see-through) but also even when it had dried it was water-soluble and got washed away by the first rainstorm so it was totally useless.

12 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Have they changed the formulation of Captain Tolley? The liquid in my previous tube was extremely white (like milk) and worked perfectly; last year it ran out and I bought some more. Not only was it a relatively clear liquid (still white but almost see-through) but also even when it had dried it was water-soluble and got washed away by the first rainstorm so it was totally useless.

Mnnn.    Sorry but don't know the answer to that. Mine was bought about a year ago and is milky

3 hours ago, dor said:

Or try Captain Tolley’s creeping crack cure.

it stopped a leak I had until I could fix it properly.

Worked for me. Even sealed two leaks that had been present for years before I bought the boat (oak inner frame completely rotted out in two corners) - mine had an inset rubber bead to cover the screws and removing a bit at the top before applying liberally sealed whatever the source of ingress was.

Edited by wiltshirewonderer

8 hours ago, dor said:

Or try Captain Tolley’s creeping crack cure.

it stopped a leak I had until I could fix it properly.

Yup, and a covering of wateproof tape over the joint will keep the worst of the weather off it to give you a fighting chance of the seal seeing you through to the better weather. You can replace the tape as needed, but I have had a bit on my similar issue for a month so far.