Damp.

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Do things come out terribly creased? Noticed they do hanging bags that would be great in the wardrobe but not very convenient if things come out needing tons of ironing. 

Ironing? What's that? Do boaters iron?

Banned ironing the day we got our first boat, refused to allow an ironing board though we have an iron for the one in a thousand times something has to be flat. 

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Ironing? What's that? Do boaters iron?

Banned ironing the day we got our first boat, refused to allow an ironing board though we have an iron for the one in a thousand times something has to be flat. 

I’d need to iron I’m afraid - I don’t wear anything that can be worn with creases - not exactly a jeans and t-shirts woman :-/ 

So I’m guessing yes, they come out terribly creased. Pity. 

1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I’d need to iron I’m afraid - I don’t wear anything that can be worn with creases - not exactly a jeans and t-shirts woman ?

So I’m guessing yes, they come out terribly creased. Pity. 

But all that electricity out of the batteries, its scandalous! Definitely not allowed on our boat. But then, we are terribly creased ourselves so it doesn't show.

10 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Do things come out terribly creased? Noticed they do hanging bags that would be great in the wardrobe but not very convenient if things come out needing tons of ironing. 

I haven't noticed anything being creased but like many others I don't iron ? . Why not buy a cheap vacuum bag and try it out to see and if the clothes are uncreased, then buy bigger better ones

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I haven't noticed anything being creased but like many others I don't iron ? . Why not buy a cheap vacuum bag and try it out to see and if the clothes are uncreased, then buy bigger better ones

haggis

My money is on @Vanessa1402 's "vintage" clothing coming out very creased indeed. Modern fabrics of the anti-crease and non-iron type might have a chance, but cotton...? 

52 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes but once you’ve worn them for a few days, the crinkles disappear...

And if the crinkles don't disappear, you haven't been wearing them long enough...

We had a Calor gas-powered iron on our first bote.

Only used it about once though! 

On 06/01/2020 at 11:26, Sea Dog said:

My money is on @Vanessa1402 's "vintage" clothing coming out very creased indeed. Modern fabrics of the anti-crease and non-iron type might have a chance, but cotton...? 

Indeed...my knitwear would be ok and my reproduction stuff. 
The marina I’m looking at has on land storage included in mooring fees-I suppose it’s too much to hope this would be a walk in wardrobe! 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And if the crinkles don't disappear, you haven't been wearing them long enough...

We had a Calor gas-powered iron on our first bote.

Only used it about once though! 

Gas iron ? I had no idea they were available! 
Maybe one of those old fashioned irons that you heat up on a stove is the answer? 

The marina I’m looking at has on land storage included in mooring fees-I suppose it’s too much to hope this would be a walk in wardrobe! 

:D

You never know! (My fingers are crossed for you, Vanessa!) ;)

• Happy 1

Indeed...my knitwear would be ok and my reproduction stuff. 

Gas iron ? I had no idea they were available! 
Maybe one of those old fashioned irons that you heat up on a stove is the answer? 

You would need three or four of the irons that heat on the stove. You use them in a rota. As the first begins too cool off you put it at the back of the Kew on the stove and pick up another to use from the front of the Q and so on.

If you.are worried about damp AND are connected to.a shoreline, thrn a dehumidifier will keep the boat nice and dry inside.

I use a Meaco DD8L as part of my winterising process.

As to ironing, just do what virtually every other boat owner does and wear jeans & T shirts, which uncrease as you wear them. ?

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph
  • Greenie 2

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

If you.are worried about damp AND are connected to.a shoreline, thrn a dehumidifier will keep the boat nice and dry inside.

I use a Meaco DD8L as part of my winterising process.

As to ironing, just do what virtually every other boat owner does and wear jeans & T shirts, which uncrease as you wear them. ?

Really, really not a jeans and t-shirts person! 
Dehumidifier sounds good :) 

Bed wetting is also a source of dampness, not only dampness but stinks as well, it all soaking through a mattress is terrible. A good way of containing the wee is  for the wetter to sleep in a waterproof hammock so the bed wetter wallows in their own wee soaking it up without it seeping out all over the floor and mats. In the morning just carefully gather up the hammock  full of wee in your arms and empty it overboard. It helps if the bed wetter abstains from drinking anything for at least 6 hours before going to beddy bi's.   There are of course nappies, but moving about in sleep mode might dislodge them and cause a leak.  :closedeyes: