Imagination is a wonderful thing.

bizzard

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I have never forgiven my parents.  When I was a kid my parents opened a savings account in my name at the National Provincial.  They gave me a brass money box bound in black fabric with a slot for the coins.  My parents told me that I had to save half my pocket money plus any money gifts at Xmas and birthdays.   One day my dad came home with an enormous parcel - it was the Childrens' Encyclopedia.  He told me they had paid for it out of my savings!!  

By the way - it was rubbish.

I would have loved one.

The local library got used to me borrowing odd and out of my age range books

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Gwarn then, I not heard this!!

I don't drink water, fish get frisky in it.

Not an exact quote ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I don't drink water, fish get frisky in it.

Not an exact quote ;)

Lol fanx, I had just goggled it and realised I was aware of it but had forgot!

'Tis however, biologically incorrect. Fish don't fuck. (Or do they?!)

Which reminds me.... what's the difference between a goldfish and a mountain goat????

A goldfish mucks about in fountains, while a mountain goat.......

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

59 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I have never forgiven my parents.  When I was a kid my parents opened a savings account in my name at the National Provincial.  They gave me a brass money box bound in black fabric with a slot for the coins.  My parents told me that I had to save half my pocket money plus any money gifts at Xmas and birthdays.   One day my dad came home with an enormous parcel - it was the Childrens' Encyclopedia.  He told me they had paid for it out of my savings!!  

By the way - it was rubbish.

I got given that. It was. We got the Childrens Newspaper too, and so was that. I used to read my dad's Telegraph instead, probably what turned me into  a raving leftie (though it was quite a good paper back then) . Now I live in a house with bookshelves on every available wall and fewer books than I used to have, but still about ten thousand. My wife has a few thousand of her own, mostly about or of music. When out on the boat, I read about a book a day. Don't have so much time at home, so three or four a week. Don't watch TV much! 

If your dead tired but can't sleep a book is much better than sleeping pills. After a few passages your eyes get heavy, the book lilts, your not sure how long you dosed, blearily you try to pick up where you left off and try again only to let the book lilt and drop, and your gone, wonderful.

Some of the old classics are my favourite choice.   Swifts Gullivers Travels, brilliantly bizzare but what an insight to the future and the study of mankind Swift had. He was nearly locked away in an asylam, the powers that were at the time judged him as an imbecle and lunatic.  Ballantyne's Coral Island, another brilliant novel, exciting, very informative, a tremendous lot to be learn't about the sea, tropical, plants, trees and fauna, tidal waves, cannibals, pirates ect. Even Treasure Island is quite informative. I Ilike these old novels written in their original old English style.   And There's Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels, absolutely brilliant. Nothing better than reading these on a miserable foggy evening by the light of an oil lamp when all is quiet, again an awful lot to be learnt from those novels too.    Dickens I find quite heavy going, too many charactors coming and going, one tends to get them all mixed up.

Even Enid Blytons Famous five series and all her other childrens adventure books can be informative, like how to boil eggs, make beds of heather out in the open and getting pricked crawling into Gorse bushes and creeping about in tunnels.

But best of all  the older childrens books in my opinion are the Arthur Ransome's series of novels beginning with Swallows and Amazons, he really understood how childrens minds worked. Books not only for children but for all ages of the young at heart wrote Arthur, not Arthur Marshall, Arthur Ransome.    I do read plenty of non fiction too.  I have virtually all the Warne's Observers pocket books.  That's it I'll get back to my Noddy in Toyland, Noddy is about to give Big ears and Angela golden hair a ride in his car.   I nearly forgot Rupert books, wondrful for the the nippers. Bill Badger, Algy Pug, Willy Mouse ect.  Transport yourself into another world.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I get my kindle out for such occasions.

They're no good if you've run out of toilet paper though . Whereas book pages can be handy for that purpose, Sacrilage I know, but if needs are desparate. :)

On 28/12/2019 at 14:49, bizzard said:

Folk are losing it mighty fast, I've noticed and becoming pretty boring.  The reason in my opinion is the constant peering at screens, television, smart bloomin phone, computers, lap tops and eye pad things.

Peering at pictures on screens requires no imagination, its done for you. 

The imagination needs to be culitivated, excersised regularly to keep it in fine fettle to prevent you from becoming a total screen watching bore.     Panic, I've lost me Eye pod thingy!!! :)

He says as he submits yet another online forum post. 

It's different strokes for different folks. Boring people come in many different guises and in case you hadn't realised there are plenty of book reading bores too! ?

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

Dickens I find quite heavy going, too many charactors coming and going, one tends to get them all mixed up.

A colleague suggested I start on Pickwick Papers.  it gave me an enthusiasm for Dickens.  Now I read one occasionally - perhaps one a year.

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We got the Childrens Newspaper too, ..............

I entered a painting competition in the CN and won a week on the training ship Foudroyant.  It made a sailor out of me at the age of 12.  Rowing a naval whaler around Gosport, sailing the same over to the IoW, sleeping in an 'ammock, peeling half a cwt. of spuds in a big hand operated machine, visiting an onshore exhibit - a WW2 submarine.   My most vivid memory is leaning over the bulwarks, watching the water boat coming to fill the tanks of the old ship of the line - the boat had a big spherical rope fender and came alongside a bit to fast - the fender buried itself in the rotten planking.  Held together by tar and paint, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

A colleague suggested I start on Pickwick Papers.  it gave me an enthusiasm for Dickens.  Now I read one occasionally - perhaps one a year.

Pickwick papers is the only Dickens I’ve read- thought it was quite accessible. I think it was originally serialised in a newspaper so that might be why. 
I think I’ll read Christmas Carol - want to see how the dark Peaky Blinders tv version compares! 

1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Pickwick papers is the only Dickens I’ve read- thought it was quite accessible. I think it was originally serialised in a newspaper so that might be why. 
I think I’ll read Christmas Carol - want to see how the dark Peaky Blinders tv version compares! 

I think most of Dickens' novels were originally written for serialisation in the newspaper.   That is why the chapters tend to be little stories in themselves.  

22 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I think most of Dickens' novels were originally written for serialisation in the newspaper.   That is why the chapters tend to be little stories in themselves.  

Very likely.

Many novels began like that.  Sherlock Holmes, Strand magazine.  Frank Richards Billy Bunter, The Magnet.  Rupert I think was Daily Mail.

I'm reading ''Boiler expolsions'' by C.H.Hewison at the moment BOOOOOOOM!!!

Last week I read ''The Watch Tower'' by I.C.U.Coming.

Edited by bizzard

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Very likely.

Many novels began like that.  Sherlock Holmes, Strand magazine.  Frank Richards Billy Bunter, The Magnet.  Rupert I think was Daily Mail.

I'm reading ''Boiler expolsions'' by C.H.Hewison at the moment BOOOOOOOM!!!

I hope it's not giving you any ideas.

:unsure:

On 28/12/2019 at 21:59, tree monkey said:

Yup books are one of the very few things I miss, just owning the things is a pleasure and second hand book shops, oh I love second hand book shops

I find music also is best in physical format, especially vinyl. Just owning a favourite record is a pleasure. 

On 29/12/2019 at 22:46, bizzard said:

Ballantyne's Coral Island, another brilliant novel, exciting, very informative, a tremendous lot to be learn't about the sea, tropical, plants, trees and fauna, tidal waves, cannibals, pirates ect. Even Treasure Island is quite informative. 

Ah! The Coral Island by RM Ballantyne.

One of my favourite books as a kid. Read it over and over, along with another favourite Brendan Chase by B.B.

Treasure Island and Kidnapped! - both cracking reads. Yep, the Famous Five books. Arthur Ransome's books. ?

W. E. John's "Biggles" series also loomed large growing up.  Especially the ones written about the RFC in WW1 which it turns out that he'd had direct experience of.

Btw, Arthur Ransome's old 1946 wooden sailing boat Peter Duck is still being sailed: 

Edited by bagginz
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, bagginz said:

Btw, Arthur Ransome's old 1946 wooden sailing boat Peter Duck is still being sailed: 

We saw a bunch of people crowded around a boat on the pontoons a few years ago at Wells. Turned out to be Peter Duck. An intrepid adventure for such an old classic.

ETA. Well, she was actually towed back in by the lifeboat.Quack-quack-oops.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2015-08-15/did-they-mean-to-go-to-sea-famous-authors-sailing-boat-has-to-be-rescued-by-lifeboat/

Edited by rusty69