Imagination is a wonderful thing.

bizzard

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

So you can read your ballast then?

My bookshelves and books are needed to keep the boat level. Readable trimming ballast. Take the books out and it has a pronounced list to port! I do have an e-reader thingy too as the amount of books acquired since fitting out the boat would sink it if they were all in dead tree format.

Jen

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When I take the books off over winter it certainly wrecks the trim... I spend winter touring 2nd hand bookshops stocking up for next year.

Moving on the boat it was the hardest thing to give up I gave many boxes of books away, most of the remaining are technical tree and fungi books now.

The kindle was a life saver but it can't replace real books

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Moving on the boat it was the hardest thing to give up I gave many boxes of books away, most of the remaining are technical tree and fungi books now.

The kindle was a life saver but it can't replace real books

I have terrible trouble giving away books even ones I don't like, but if you need the right book book to trim your boat I suppose some must go.

Just now, buccaneer66 said:

I have terrible trouble giving away books even ones I don't like, but if you need the right book book to trim your boat I suppose some must go.

Yup books are one of the very few things I miss, just owning the things is a pleasure and second hand book shops, oh I love second hand book shops

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

I’ve been a librarian for about 20 years or so now? Had to give up my Library manager job in 2010 and move into education because Tories don’t like Libraries but they can’t take away schools- yet anyway! School Librarian now and although my school isn’t a “tablet” school, kids do like reading on their devices. Doesn’t really detract from the content- in fact, kids with SEN find it easier to manipulate the image to suit their needs. 
 Also..Librarians have long promoted on line reference material over printed, as the second a piece of info Is printed it is in danger of becoming  incorrect very soon, whereas reliable on line resources are constantly updated. Most libraries no longer give shelf room to encyclopaedias for that very reason. 

Encyclopedias are great historical records. I used to have a Britannica where the aeronautic entry was mostly Montgolfier balloons. But to teach kids to rely on online sources seems a bit suicidal to me - books may be out of date, but you can take that into account. What's online is just mostly nonsense unless you can teach them to double check everything . 

I used to navigate the system by 2nd hand bookshops, but there are fewer and fewer these days. 

1 hour ago, soforene said:

Nowt wrong with my Ipad and hundreds of books therein.

Many an hour is spent in the company of Jack Reacher or Aloysius Pendergast and when I get a boat (one can dream....) then the space saving alone will make it all worthwhile. ?

Absolutely nothing wrong with ereaders at all, real books are special though

35 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with ereaders at all, real books are special though

You need both! The battery never goes flat in a book. As is being said in another thread, there's a place for technology and a place for bits of paper. Both are good.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Encyclopedias are great historical records. I used to have a Britannica where the aeronautic entry was mostly Montgolfier balloons. But to teach kids to rely on online sources seems a bit suicidal to me - books may be out of date, but you can take that into account. What's online is just mostly nonsense unless you can teach them to double check everything . 

I used to navigate the system by 2nd hand bookshops, but there are fewer and fewer these days. 

The problem with encyclopaedias is they are often full of out of date information and therefore unsafe sources. You do have to be careful in using on line resources but you can’t go far wrong if you access through library websites. 

6 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I can count on fingers the number of books I have read. seems there is a lot of hype surrounding books(buying, storing and reading), so I have decided when I retire, I will pick up the hobby of reading books.

My degree is in English Literature  so I had to read voraciously as a young ‘un. May have burnt myself out as I read a lot less than people think I do- I’m a librarian :) 

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I can count on fingers the number of books I have read. seems there is a lot of hype surrounding books(buying, storing and reading), so I have decided when I retire, I will pick up the hobby of reading books.

I wouldn't describe it as hype, I know plenty of people who don't get it and hardly read.

Finding a book that grabs your imagination that you don't want to end it a joy.

The pleasure of actually owning them is odd I'm not normally someone who places importance on things but books.

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have never forgiven my parents.  When I was a kid my parents opened a savings account in my name at the National Provincial.  They gave me a brass money box bound in black fabric with a slot for the coins.  My parents told me that I had to save half my pocket money plus any money gifts at Xmas and birthdays.   One day my dad came home with an enormous parcel - it was the Childrens' Encyclopedia.  He told me they had paid for it out of my savings!!  

By the way - it was rubbish.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

I have never forgiven my parents.  When I was a kid my parents opened a savings account in my name at the National Provincial.  They gave me a brass money box bound in black fabric with a slot for the coins.  My parents told me that I had to save half my pocket money plus any money gifts at Xmas and birthdays.   One day my dad came home with an enormous parcel - it was the Childrens' Encyclopedia.  He told me they had paid for it out of my savings!!  

By the way - it was rubbish.

Aww gutting! 
Yes, they used to be the thing to have-can’t give them away now! 

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I wouldn't describe it as hype, I know plenty of people who don't get it and hardly read.

Finding a book that grabs your imagination that you don't want to end it a joy.

The pleasure of actually owning them is odd I'm not normally someone who places importance on things but books.

well, that's another problem, which ever few books I have read, I had to read in 1 sitting because otherwise I will forget most of the characters. I have short attention span and poor memory.

as to non fiction, Internet is good source of information, I dont think I am ignorant as such, but I do think I am missing the pleasure of reading.

Edited by restlessnomad

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I hate books.

I know this because I read one once....

Lol :) 

I always tell reluctant teenage readers that books contain a conversation that someone is trying to have with you-sometimes someone that has been dead for many years and that learning the things they learned saves us from having to relearn things again and again. Failing that , I tell them if they read solidly for 10 mins they can have a lolly. Usually they get engrossed enough to forget to ask for the lolly. So maybe you just need a lolly ;) 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Lol :) 

I always tell reluctant teenage readers that books contain a conversation that someone is trying to have with you-sometimes someone that has been dead for many years and that learning the things they learned saves us from having to relearn things again and again. Failing that , I tell them if they read solidly for 10 mins they can have a lolly. Usually they get engrossed enough to forget to ask for the lolly. So maybe you just need a lolly ;) 

I was just messing about really. Did you not recognise me plagiarising W. C. Fields?!!

You are very wise however...

For a gurl :giggles:

• Haha 1