Shocking shower.

fudd

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I used to own an Audi 100 and once got a shock from a battery post while the engine was idling, never did work that one out.

Also got a tingle from a 240v double insulated ultrasonic cleaner, prob below RCD cut off current but I always unplug now during preparation. 

Possibly a fault with the alternators rectifier and somehow you got a bit of AC current. A lady once went into the bakers and got an electric shock. She trod on a bun and a currant ran up her leg.

Its all about friction. Same as humans spontaniousely combusting by wearing synthetic underwear, causing static sparks. If they happen to fart at the same time the spaks ignite the farts methane gas which sets them on fire. More common with vegitarians.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I used to own an Audi 100 and once got a shock from a battery post while the engine was idling, never did work that one out.

Also got a tingle from a 240v double insulated ultrasonic cleaner, prob below RCD cut off current but I always unplug now during preparation. 

Bosch electrics too mmmm! I don't trust any German electrical things I think they're out to electrocute us all by encouraging us to buy their electrical tute. I think its because they keep losing world wars against us and getting their own back. I've discovered that their own home market electrical stuff doesn't give much trouble,even,WeberEbersplutters.

• 11 months later...

I found out what the problem was. The calorifier had  a small leak just above the electrical connection and was dripping on it. I replaced it and no more shocks. 

Edited by fudd
  • Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, fudd said:

I found out what the problem was. The calorifier had  a small leak just above the electrical connection and was dripping on it. I replaced it and no more shocks. 

That’s good news. Now take a shower to keep the neighbours happy ????

On 27/12/2019 at 16:10, nb Innisfree said:

Many years ago when working as a motorcycle courier, I noticed my bike was sometimes missing on one cylinder when revving hard (Kwacker GT750). I'd just got home after a very long, hard, busy day in pouring rain and wondered if a plug lead was loose. I thought, I'll soon find out which one it is - all logic, at this point, had just gone out the window - so I reached down, and at the same time as giving it a big handfull, pulled on one of the plug leads! It felt a bit like Thor had just wacked me in the back of the head with his hammer!

On 27/12/2019 at 08:14, LEO said:

Interesting question, we encountered this problem over several years in a hotel we stayed in in Greece. In the end one guest complained to the Travel Rep and a qualified electrician was called. He found a serious electrical 'leakage' fault and the problem was solved. We were all lucky apparently it could have had serious consequences.

Lucky it was sorted so quickly... :o

On 27/12/2019 at 10:54, Nightwatch said:

It’s gone now, but about six years ago, and for about a year, we had a strange thing happen. When putting in diesel and when the nozzle touched the hull fitting to could see tiny sparks passing between the two. Didn’t notice this stopping or when but strange.

YIKES!!!

Good job it's not petrol!

The fuel hose really should be earthed!

I remembered an electric shower heater that could give mild electric 'tingles'.

It had a bare wire heating element in a waterway drilled through an acrylic block which the water flowed through in direct contact.

Interesting minimal engineering.

I have only had problems with static in dry, centrally-heated offices and homes. 

In the 1970's we did get a mild shock from the fridge in an apartment we had rented on the Costa Brava. Remembering a hint for reducing hum I  had read in a US electronics magazine,  I unplugged its 2 pin plug, and put it back the other way round. Result, no more shocks. There was evidently an insulation breakdown between the casing and one the mains conductors, and reversing the plug had connected that conductor to mains neutral.