Stone chandlery closed

frahkn

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

But nothing new - when I first went to Plymouth there was a beer called Star Light which I'd swear came from pipes connected directly to the gents...

When I were a Lad, our local brewery (Shipstone's) made delivery by 'Os & Cart, a large number of their customers suggested that the 'osses made a contribution to its manufacture.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dor said:

Joules plan to bring their brewery back to Stone.  I doubt that the original site is available, and this could be a useful location for them.

Would rather see it reinstated as a chandlery though.

Before the chandlery there was very little on that site, according to old OS maps. The Joules site was on the opposite side. The Joules brand has now been bought back by a small company formed by one of the former directors and brews at Market Drayton. Which was where the brew came from before Stone. The wharf is currently under extensive development to include a performance venue as well as pub.

See https://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/our-taphouses/our-pub-list/crown-wharf-stone for details and history. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When I were a Lad, our local brewery (Shipstone's) made delivery by 'Os & Cart, a large number of their customers suggested that the 'osses made a contribution to its manufacture.

Still done today at the Wadworth brewery in Devizes, big Shire horses delivering beer by cart. Impressive to see.

32 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Still done today at the Wadworth brewery in Devizes, big Shire horses delivering beer by cart. Impressive to see.

Also at the Nook Norton Brewey Oxfordshire, The brewey is also the last one where the machinery is still powered by a steam engine, line shafts and belts.

• Happy 1

53 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Also at the Nook Norton Brewey Oxfordshire, The brewey is also the last one where the machinery is still powered by a steam engine, line shafts and belts.

It's a very interesting site. It's just a shame that their product tastes like mud with added hops.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dor said:

Joules plan to bring their brewery back to Stone.  I doubt that the original site is available, and this could be a useful location for them.

I thought they were already building it

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

But nothing new - when I first went to Plymouth there was a beer called Star Light which I'd swear came from pipes connected directly to the gents...

This is scary!! I was talking about "Starlight " to a youngster last night, it was like witch piss and sold in all the NAAFIs innitt :D I remember being well unimpressed when it went up to 23 pence a pint which was extortionate.

4 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Good brewery, Brilliant to work for, I ran a few of their pubs as does my lad. Never liked 6x though Ive sold many thousands of gallons.

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is scary!! I was talking about "Starlight " to a youngster last night, it was like witch piss and sold in all the NAAFIs innitt :D I remember being well unimpressed when it went up to 23 pence a pint which was extortionate.

I'd never tasted anything like it: it was so foul I had to teach myself to drink lager. I believe I particularly remember it from the Sydenham in Union Street who seemed to keep rather special hours.  I would have still drunk virtually anything else even it if it was free!  As a publican, I suspect you must be amazed they had the nerve to offer it.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd never tasted anything like it: it was so foul I had to teach myself to drink lager. I believe I particularly remember it from the Sydenham in Union Street who seemed to keep rather special hours.  I would have still drunk virtually anything else even it if it was free!  As a publican, I suspect you must be amazed they had the nerve to offer it.

Yeah but I wasnt a publican in the days we are talking about lol :D They sold it in Rooftops and I think Diamond lils but not the two trees. It was watneys I think. It was about 3 percent or sommet I reckon? It was expensive though in such as Lils as it was only about 11 or 12 pence a pint oop norrff.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Point of order Mr Chairman!

I beg to differ.

Shipstones Bitter was a wonderfully bitter beer, beautiful stuff.

(Even if 'shipstones' is an anagram of honest piss)

9 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Recently, someone has bought the recipes and restarted Shipstones on a small scale. 

I was talking to one of the brewers here on the Island a while back.

He said that there are labs that will, given a sample of a beer, tell you exactly how it is made up, what yeast was used, what malt etc, so that it can be reverse engineered, so to speak.

But, IMHO, the results never match the original.

I think the new Shipstones is a case in point.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I've just realised there are plenty of private linear moorings along there. Does the chandlery own them too?

I think so.

One of those moorers told me (a few days ago) that the old "hardstanding" area was to bu used for container storage and that all the moorers had been offered 20' containers for £120 per month.

On 27/12/2019 at 08:43, 1agos said:

It is a huge site. I expect it will be housing.

Staffordshire Council Local Plan has some very stiff policies about loss of employment sites and this location is not on their Brownfield Land Register. It also reflects Stone as a "canal town", so loss of facilities would be against council policy.

Can I suggest that we need to keep a watch on planning applications, particularly as there are already sufficient Part 2 sites allocated for local housing in Stone so any prospective housing developer could not use this loophole.

On 27/12/2019 at 08:43, 1agos said:

It is a huge site. I expect it will be housing.

Staffordshire Council Local Plan has some very stiff policies about loss of employment sites and this location is not on their Brownfield Land Register. It also reflects Stone as a "canal town", so loss of facilities would be against council policy.

Can I suggest that we need to keep a watch on planning applications, particularly as there are already sufficient Part 2 sites allocated for local housing in Stone so any prospective housing developer could not use this loophole.

On 27/12/2019 at 01:08, dor said:

Joules have no plans to bring the brewery back to Stone, their brewery is now in Market Drayton. They have aquired several sites on the opposite bank for developement adjacent to the old Joules building and they plan on building a pub, theatre and heritage center. Works are well underway on the site and all due to open late 2020.