Stone chandlery closed

frahkn

Featured Posts

On 28/12/2019 at 13:05, Cheshire cat said:

Stockport isn't Shire horse friendly. Far too many steep hills. Even the brewery is on Lower Hillgate.

The horses used to travel regularly between the main brewery on Lower Hillgate to Hempshaw Brook Brewery (ex Bells brewery acquired by Robinsons) off Higher Hillgate in my lifetime. The shire horses had no problem with the steep streets of Stockport. whilst pulling a laden waggon.

3 hours ago, jam said:

Joules have no plans to bring the brewery back to Stone, their brewery is now in Market Drayton. They have aquired several sites on the opposite bank for developement adjacent to the old Joules building and they plan on building a pub, theatre and heritage center. Works are well underway on the site and all due to open late 2020.

It was some months ago that I saw something that was saying they were moving the brewery back to Stone. I was a bit surprised as they have a nice setup in Market Drayton, but thought that maybe they needed more space. I suppose someone has seen Joule’s carrying out some development on the site in Stone and assumed it was for a new brewery. The motto is ‘don’t believe everything that you read in the papers’. 

Edited by dor

21 hours ago, dor said:

It was some months ago that I saw something that was saying they were moving the brewery back to Stone. I was a bit surprised as they have a nice setup in Market Drayton, but thought that maybe they needed more space. I suppose someone has seen Joule’s carrying out some development on the site in Stone and assumed it was for a new brewery. The motto is ‘don’t believe everything that you read in the papers’. 

They are indeed carrying out an extensive and expensive developement in Stone. The Joules website has a detailed timeline of the land purchase and details of the progressive stumbling blocks in the proposed developement. Very interesting read. Apparently still on target for the opening in late 2020.

An interesting point with Joules brewery is that the brewery in Market Drayton (over the border) is still using the same quality of water with similar constituents as the original brewery in Stone used all those years ago.

We really fancied those moorings when we were living in the area - we enquired but there were unsurprisingly no vacancies. I wonder what will happen to them.

Edited by Ange

1 hour ago, jam said:

An interesting point with Joules brewery is that the brewery in Market Drayton (over the border) is still using the same quality of water with similar constituents as the original brewery in Stone used all those years ago.

What? They are still pinching it from the cut?

On 29/12/2019 at 23:57, jam said:

The horses used to travel regularly between the main brewery on Lower Hillgate to Hempshaw Brook Brewery (ex Bells brewery acquired by Robinsons) off Higher Hillgate in my lifetime. The shire horses had no problem with the steep streets of Stockport. whilst pulling a laden waggon.

I thought this was why the cobbles were kept for so long uncovered on the hill in Lower Hillgate and Underbank. Robinsons bottling plant is now on Ashton Road in Bredbury, the horses don't get that far unfortunately.

They are a beautiful sight dressed in all the harness and ribbons. I know the family and they will keep the horses and wagons as long as is possible.

I hope that whatever happens in Stone that we don't lose any more visitors space on the cut in town, the McCarthy and Stone flats cost us much space on the shopping street side leaving only space for 3 boats, and the trip boat moorings on the other side are out of bounds. It often feels as though the good people of Stone don't want us to shop there.

Mooring on the park below the lock is not as convenient if you have shopping to carry.

8 hours ago, jam said:

As I understand it, the major breweries (at least) have been synthesizing their water for quite some time. If they want Burton water in Bolton, they can "adjust" the local stuff to match it. 

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I hope that whatever happens in Stone that we don't lose any more visitors space on the cut in town, the McCarthy and Stone flats cost us much space on the shopping street side leaving only space for 3 boats, and the trip boat moorings on the other side are out of bounds. It often feels as though the good people of Stone don't want us to shop there.

Mooring on the park below the lock is not as convenient if you have shopping to carry.

Agree. And stone great for charity shops. Great clothes at good prices, unlike Nantwich which charges more than the original shops in some cases. 

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

As I understand it, the major breweries (at least) have been synthesizing their water for quite some time. If they want Burton water in Bolton, they can "adjust" the local stuff to match it. 

Adnams do in suffolk because floods many years ago contaminated the wells they used 

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

According to the Joules website " the Market Drayton brewery has access to Pure Mineral Water drawn from the same Aquifer as the original Brewer " I presume this means the deep well draws from the same filtered permeable rock strata.

Edited by jam

I was chatting to a local in the Borehole over the holiday period. He told me that the owners of the chandlery have retired. There is a "to let" sign on the building. As someone else said the boats out on hard standing have been removed although the caravans are still there so perhaps that land is not part of the plot.