Stone chandlery closed

frahkn

Featured Posts

Sad, it was a very useful place when using the Stone dry dock. Very well stocked and a really good range of paints but top prices and some of stuff looked like it had been there for years, I suspect fuel filters full of dust :). It always had a drab run down feel to it and their refusal to sell diesel at 0% was not good.

I went to the closing down sale earlier in the year, 20% off the stuff you don't need, 50% off the stuff you really don't need, and nowt off the stuff that I wanted.

............Dave

It was a very useful chandlers. They usually had something we didn't know we wanted. Even more useful when we moored in Stone and someone decided taking our bow line was the cheapest way to get a new rope for whatever purpose. 

Chandlers are really becoming few and far between, so many useful ones have gone in the last few years even though there are more boats. 

• Greenie 1

Sunday closing

The Trent & Mersey Canal committee did choose to close their canal in the 1840's. I sometimes wonder of this religious based decision had any effect on the take over of that canal by the North Staffordshire Railway.

Are these chandlery buildings in danger from development by those intent on profit, I wonder?

44 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Sunday closing

The Trent & Mersey Canal committee did choose to close their canal in the 1840's. I sometimes wonder of this religious based decision had any effect on the take over of that canal by the North Staffordshire Railway.

Are these chandlery buildings in danger from development by those intent on profit, I wonder?

I would suspect that is why its closed, a prime redevelopment site

17 hours ago, Heartland said:

Sunday closing

The Middle Level byelaws (1875) still forbid navigation "though any sluice or lock between the hours of ten in the forenoon and four in the afternoon on a Sunday or Christmas Day". I broke that one this summer...

16 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

There are quite a lot of boats on hard standing behind the chandlers in various states of disrepair. I wonder what the future holds for them.

I think they are all gone , the caravan storage area appears to be still there. 

3 hours ago, dor said:

Joules plan to bring their brewery back to Stone.  I doubt that the original site is available, and this could be a useful location for them.

Would rather see it reinstated as a chandlery though.

Why not both? Have your pint while you buy your pump.