Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
TheMenagerieAfloat

Preference for being single handed?

Featured Posts

Goodness it is peaceful!

 

At present am very appreciative of assistance as am entirely new to all this... but the feeling of steering one's own boat is fabulous. Just have to master mooring and locks solo and I'll be off!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive never forgotten that feeling, I felt for the very first time that I was truly the master of my life and driving my own kingdom. I shouted and sang for at least ten minutes. It never gets old. That same feeling happens each time I take off. 

Edited by Winn
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the first time i went under a motorway bridge at night.all the cars with their lights flashing by almost as if they were at super-speed and there was i on my little secret kingdom tootling along..sneaking past

 the guardhouse while the guards were sleeping

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winn said:

Ive never forgotten that feeling, I felt for the very first time that I was truly the master of my life and driving my own kingdom. I shouted and sang for at least ten minutes. It never gets old. That same feeling happens each time I take off. 

I know that feeling too.

 

I find myself singing Gilbert & Sullivan without realising it.

?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Single handing is pure joy.  Part of the fun is doing locks and lift bridges on your own, working out how to do it and then doing it.  All very satisfying, and it stays that way for years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Winn said:

Ive never forgotten that feeling, I felt for the very first time that I was truly the master of my life and driving my own kingdom. I shouted and sang for at least ten minutes. It never gets old. That same feeling happens each time I take off. 

Ah, but should you choose to marry, you could turn it into a "Winn-Winn" situation! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Single handing is pure joy.  Part of the fun is doing locks and lift bridges on your own, working out how to do it and then doing it.  All very satisfying, and it stays that way for years...

 

Exactly this.  In fact so much so that if anyone tries to help, I get confused and things start to go wrong.  But with advancing years, I'm grateful for help with the heavy stuff now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/12/2019 at 22:03, Winn said:

Ive never forgotten that feeling, I felt for the very first time that I was truly the master of my life and driving my own kingdom. I shouted and sang for at least ten minutes. It never gets old. That same feeling happens each time I take off. 

 

Really? It just feels like steering a boat to me.

On 22/12/2019 at 22:29, stablemabel said:

I remember the first time i went under a motorway bridge at night.all the cars with their lights flashing by almost as if they were at super-speed and there was i on my little secret kingdom tootling along..sneaking past

 the guardhouse while the guards were sleeping

 

I've obviously been missing something! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/12/2019 at 00:10, Arthur Marshall said:

Single handing is pure joy.  Part of the fun is doing locks and lift bridges on your own, working out how to do it and then doing it.  All very satisfying, and it stays that way for years...

 

Until you done many hundreds of locks and bridges on your own and then after a while you're grateful for any help you can get! My ideal scenario is just staying in the boat and controlling the boat with the engine while someone else works the lock and I don't even need to use a rope.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackrose said:

 

Until you done many hundreds of locks and bridges on your own and then after a while you're grateful for any help you can get! 

Really, the more help I get the more I'm happy to do it myself. Everyone seems in such a hurry nowadays! Being sat on a boat in a lock after putting a stranger in total control must invalidate any insurance should the boat be lost!

Edited by Yellowback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

Until you done many hundreds of locks and bridges on your own and then after a while you're grateful for any help you can get! My ideal scenario is just staying in the boat and controlling the boat with the engine while someone else works the lock and I don't even need to use a rope.

 

Could be time to find a partner. Mr Smelly will advise on the requirements for a low maintenance type. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yellowback said:

Really, the more help I get the more I'm happy to do it myself. Everyone seems in such a hurry nowadays! Being sat on a boat in a lock after putting a stranger in total control must invalidate any insurance should the boat be lost!

 

I seldom find that people are in a hurry, or if they are I've never really noticed. It's not a problem for me but if you prefer to do it yourself you always have that option, so we're both happy doing what we want. But you must have an odd insurance policy. There's no exclusion in my policy regarding someone I don't know operating a lock for me. Does your policy also preclude all the people you don't know who happen to be lock keepers on rivers like the Thames, or volunteer lockies in countless other places? 

 

Anyway, without wishing to be rude, if someone's in "total control" of your boat while you're onboard the boat in a lock then you're not doing it properly. You should be communicating with whoever is operating the lock. I always am and in 18 years single handing I've never had a problem.

 

Merry Christmas!

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

In 18 years single handing I've never had a problem.

 

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you, and wishing you at a minimum another 18 years problem less boating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 05:25, blackrose said:

 

Really? It just feels like steering a boat to me.

 

I've obviously been missing something! ?

You very obviously have ...no romance in your soul! 

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.