Model lock gates approx oo scale

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

The vicar of St John's in Frome has asked me a slightly off the wall question. He is thinking of building a model of Devizes wharf (and quite an area round it) for a war game using 28mm soldiers. 28mm approximates to OO scale or 4mm to the foot. 

Simple question but one I couldn't answer, does anyone do kits of lock gates etc at this scale. 

The war being gamed is imaginary, however I suspect his imagination is as nothing compared to the collective musings on here could come up with, so once you've answered the question,  feel free to let the mind explore...

My mate Bob  has a rather good OO scale model railway that features ,amongst other things,a narrow lock on a derelict canal with a PFCS (you remember that organisation?) working party active in and around the lock- features an Ace barrow hoist, a series 2 LWB Land Rover, a wheelbarrow or two, some scale mud and assorted debris. I think it is all scratch built though.

The Scale Scenes ones are very good but need a bit of detailing.
The Hornby ones are basic.
The last ones are terrible.

There is an ex-working narrow boat on winter moorings somewhere in the Midlands that has the most accurate model of a canal and narrow gauge railway that includes a lock scene, even down to the "squirt" from between the lower gates.

• 2 months later...
On 22/12/2019 at 22:11, alan_fincher said:

Oh dear!.....

s-l500.jpg

I have seen a few real locks where the balance beams have fallen off like that ...

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

the lock is flat, which makes it easier to operate

Well it would be! :D

36 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

.... and so the lock is flat, which makes it easier to operate

This is the one case where I would be happy to use one of those wretched ratchet windlasses....

....because I wouldn't have to

On 22/12/2019 at 22:21, bobl said:

Hi I built mine using the Hornby lock with some alterations 

198B21CC-AD76-48FC-97C4-8BDE886DC373.jpeg

4EB7B7EF-D538-4747-A2B2-D516D983429F.jpeg

you do realise you could be prosecuted under the Safety at Work Act, don't you?

no PPE, inadequate work method, etc.   

.......................   well, it's not my fault those workers look so real     :unsure:

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

.......................   well, it's not my fault those workers look so real     :unsure:

Ha, I was about to say, Where's the arris fencing and orange barrier mesh? Old satsuma bags might suffice for that? 

17 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

This is what Colin end up with

vertical scale was deemed unimportant for the war game and so the lock is flat, which makes it easier to operate

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Loving the armour plated canal boat.     Though suspect not so good for shoot and scoot missions....

17 hours ago, Murflynn said:

The scene is set about 50years ago, when things got done and nobody died ( probably by good luck than good  management). Those Ace barrow hoists were scary weapons   in the wrong hands?

I'm not advocating a return to those days, but a lock clearance  then with volunteers could be achieved for less than £100. Now, it costs C&RT, five figures to do similar  even with some volunteer input.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, billh said:

The scene is set about 50years ago, when things got done and nobody died ( probably by good luck than good  management). Those Ace barrow hoists were scary weapons   in the wrong hands?

I'm not advocating a return to those days, but a lock clearance  then with volunteers could be achieved for less than £100. Now, it costs C&RT, five figures to do similar  even with some volunteer input.

I can remember doing the same less than 40 years ago. Telling the guy on the KL15 crane, lifting an enourmous kettle of mud out of the chamber, not to swing the jib round too far when emptying into the dumper as otherwise it would touch the overhead power lines!

On 13/03/2020 at 13:18, David Mack said:

I can remember doing the same less than 40 years ago. Telling the guy on the KL15 crane, lifting an enourmous kettle of mud out of the chamber, not to swing the jib round too far when emptying into the dumper as otherwise it would touch the overhead power lines!

When the farmer where our business is wishes to get on the roof of a building he just brings the telehandler round with a 2 ton bucket on the front, gets in the bucket then asks anyone who’s passing to lift him up to the roof. 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

When the farmer where our business is wishes to get on the roof of a building he just brings the telehandler round with a 2 ton bucket on the front, gets in the bucket then asks anyone who’s passing to lift him up to the roof. 

How does he get down again??