What's the worst you've had around the prop?

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Somebody else's old mooring rope, still attached to the bank. As I left the mooring the boat came to an abrupt halt. The propshaft had been pulled out of the centaflex coupling. Everything came to rest with the prop jammed up against the leading edge of the rudder. Fortunately there was no

major ingress of water and it was easy to reassemble.

• 4 weeks later...

So today I have had the weed hatch up five times:

1. Carpet hall runner
  2. Padded horse jacket (pictured)
  3. A dress, or maybe a curtain, or maybe a dress that used to be a curtain
  4. A pair of tracksuit trousers
  5. A collection of plastic bags

I would like to think that I have totally hoovered the Wyrley and Essingham of all debris, but somehow I doubt if!

24AF8439-1954-4E1A-A1C9-45BDD0F9A1BC.jpeg

Edited by The Dreamer

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Not as much as that DD bra TM had to wrestle with. Imagine how much that weighed with full cups.

I don't know but you would think at Monkey's age he would manage to deal with them with out having to wrestle - unless the wrestling was part of the plan that is. :huh:

• Haha 1

Just now, Tumshie said:

I don't know but you would think at Monkey's age he would manage to deal with them with out having to wrestle - unless the wrestling was part of the plan that is. :huh:

You have obviously never had the pleasure of going down a weed hatch......It always involves some wrestling!

Just now, Mike Todd said:

Those who have never had a real clogged prop seem not to appreciate just how heavy waterlogged material can get. A 'puffer' jacket may feel light and airy when being worn but just try lifting one that is in the water.

I lifted a waterlogged bin bag full of rubbish out of the cut last week. It was incredibly heavy.

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Those who have never had a real clogged prop seem not to appreciate just how heavy waterlogged material can get. A 'puffer' jacket may feel light and airy when being worn but just try lifting one that is in the water.

Yes - I wasn't joking in post 54. 

55 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I pulled a puffer jacket of the cill of Walsall top lock as it was preventing the gate from closing, it was so heavy that as the coat became visible I thought someone was still wearing it. Fortunately it was just extremely water logged.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I pulled a puffer jacket of the cill of Walsall top lock as it was preventing the gate from closing, it was so heavy that as the coat became visible I thought someone was still wearing it. Fortunately it was just extremely water logged..........Tree Monkey slipped out of it and went back to sleep.

Early in our boating days our 19ft Fairline came to an abrupt stop on the Bridgewater canal. Lifting the outboard we found about six feet of a thin ply canoe surrounding the leg. The prop and surrounding bits had gone right through the bottom of it. It was a bit like solving one of those metal puzzles that used to be found in Christmas crackers, twisting it one way and then the other to get it free. It was soggy and heavy, but thankfully the outboard was undamaged. Otherwise in later years we were stopped dead by an anorak (the clothing item) in Northgate staircase and a vintage builders rubble bag in the middle of Gosty Hill Tunnel. That was not a particularly happy moment. 

2 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

1. Carpet hall runner

I would like to think that I have totally hoovered the Wyrley and Essingham of all debris, but somehow I doubt if!

Please keep up your spectatcular efforts as we will be following you down in a week or two!

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Richardson said:

Early in our boating days our 19ft Fairline came to an abrupt stop on the Bridgewater canal. Lifting the outboard we found about six feet of a thin ply canoe surrounding the leg. The prop and surrounding bits had gone right through the bottom of it. It was a bit like solving one of those metal puzzles that used to be found in Christmas crackers, twisting it one way and then the other to get it free. It was soggy and heavy, but thankfully the outboard was undamaged. Otherwise in later years we were stopped dead by an anorak (the clothing item) in Northgate staircase and a vintage builders rubble bag in the middle of Gosty Hill Tunnel. That was not a particularly happy moment. 

Very astute of you to deduce that the rubble bag belonged to a vintage builder.

5 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

1. Carpet hall runner

Will let you know tomorrow. Heading from Wolverhampton to Pelsall (all being well).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

So how did that go for you?

BTW, you were seen passing by Mrs Dreamer, but I was up in Liverpool on business!

Not a patch on your haul. One weed hatch investigation producing a few bits of plastic bags. So thanks for collecting it all yesterday! I am very surprised we didn't pick up more, there's so much crap in there, it's quite disgusting really. I think we saw the padded horse jacket on the towpath, looked huge.

We presumed that was Mrs Dreamer waving as we passed.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Surely a different one, because @The Dreamer wouldn't have left it on the path.

To be fair there's not a lot you could do with it, you would need to go back for it with a wheel barrow and cart it off to a skip or one of those large commercial wheelie bins. Funny thing is the wind could have blown it down to the canal before it got water logged. 

That's a generic 'you' before anybody thinks I'm casting blame. :)