What's the worst you've had around the prop?

wandering snail

Featured Posts

This today on the Adderley flight is, so far the worst we've had to deal with, even worse than a sprung mattress on the Northampton Arm. It's the stuff C&RT contractors use to make temporary dams with and nothing on board would cut through it. Made our 65hp engine stop dead! 

004 (4).JPG

Edited by wandering snail
  • Horror 1

10 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

This today on the Addersley flight is, so far the worst we've had to deal with, even worse than a sprung mattress on the Northampton Arm. It's the stuff C&RT contractors use to make temporary dams with and nothing on board would cut through it. Made our 65hp engine stop dead! 

004 (4).JPG

Assuming you mean Adderley and not Addersley, then that was on the offside bank next to the first bridge down from the flight when we were there are week or two ago. I guess it must have blown in.

Worst for us was a hoody, a go-kart tyre fender, complete with rope, and a length of razor wire. All at the same time in Poolstock No 2 lock on the Leeds and Liverpool. 

MP.

• Horror 1

I had one of those builders tonne bags once, it turned into a giant plait and blunted the sharpest of knives after a couple of strokes. 

We also picked up a tyre which fortunately only grabbed two of the bats on the prop, it was extraordinary in that you could reverse but the boat also went backwards in ahead!

Edited by BWM

Picked this up just going into a lock on the Ashton, had to haul the boat onto the lock landing and set about it with a hacksaw, working down the hatch, took forever.

Next was a duvet cover which didn't stop me, just made a lot of black smoke (heavy flywheel).  By the time I made it to a mooring it was well on, had to cut it off in strips.

IMG_0481.JPG

Edited by NB Esk
Meant to say duvet cover

We got lucky with this one.

It kind of caught, but didn't wind on enough that it was actually hard to get off - but we did end up trailing something of a similar length to the train that Princess Diana had at her wedding.

It was actually very good quality carpet that weighed a ton, and was undamaged.  I had Ideas I was going to save it for reuse, but I was firmly told to pull it out and put it on the bank

(Normally I'd not leave something like this laying around to be put back in, but twpo of us didn't actually have the strength necessary to haul it onto our roof).

P1000549.JPG

• Horror 1

Had a roll of that orange temporary net fencing wrap itself  around the prop when coming into my berth in the marina. Free dry  docking to remove it, as the roll belong to the marina which had falling in to the water at the end of the pier when repairs were made.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

This today on the Addersley flight is, so far the worst we've had to deal with, even worse than a sprung mattress on the Northampton Arm. It's the stuff C&RT contractors use to make temporary dams with and nothing on board would cut through it. Made our 65hp engine stop dead! 

004 (4).JPG

Contact Lady G, ideal for her to make her curtains.

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

An under water web cam could be attached under the uxter plate facing forward. This to detect and spy any rubbish approaching the prop with malicious intent. When it does it relays a message via thingys and whatsnames to servos connected to the gearbox and automatically bungs the boat into reverse to ward it off until you've passed it by.  If you go along in revere a lot you will need a web cam faciing backwards. But don't make them too sensitive or it'll be detecting all the fish swimming past, continually shoving you into reverse, or forward whichever the case might be. making you dithery , dizzy and a nervous wreck not knowing whether your coming or going and will cause great expense by keep destroying gearboxes. 

• Happy 1

Concrete reinforcing bar. It coiled around the prop and shaft like a spring. Had to cut it into sections with a junior hacksaw then ease the bend using a goat chain and a mooring pin so as to unscrew the various bits over the prop. My hatch is under the steerer's step, so that made it fun!

• Horror 1

Years ago on the river in Leeds I was passing a bankside building site when I noticed we were slowing down. I looked behind and saw a large traffic cone about 100ft behind us skipping along on the surface or just below it. What was odd was that it was catching us up, a bit like the scene from Jaws. Eventually, our progress slowed right down and I had to stop mid stream. The cone had fallen in from the building site and had about 50 yards of 6mm blue polypropylene rope tied into it, the polypropylene merrily wrapping itself around the prop shaft into a tight ball occluding the prop as we proceeded. I cut the cone off and managed to get to the shore where we could tie up and then get the ball of rope off.

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

Don't have a picture but down the Stourbridge Locks I once got a poof round  the prop (I think that's how you spell it}

How did manage to get a 'homosexual' wrapped round your prop? Sounds like the sort of thing that  Monty Python would do for a sketch.

• Haha 2

The worst thing I have ever experienced wrapped round the prop was back in the 1960's on Pisces. The offemnding object was a dead, but fully grown, King Charles Spaniel tied inside a heavy sack. Being an old working boat, we had no weed hatch so it involved two of our crew getting into the water to remove it. Fortunately my job was to replace the propshaft shearpin so I stayed dry that day.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I had somebody's cratch cover wrap itself around my prop as I engaged reverse to stop at Streethay Marina. That took me over two hours to remove. ?

Who'd have thought a submarine had a cratch cover. :mellow:

• Haha 1