Probably a stupid question

Steph H

Featured Posts

On 22/12/2019 at 18:11, OldGoat said:

That's good to hear. Shows you that calculations don't always show you what really works in practice!

I've had three boats now with Finrads fitted. Compared to radiators, they are next to useless. I've replaced them once for conventional rads and the difference was outstanding. Admittedly, they do have to be kept free of dust/vacuumed if you can get to the fins!

On 23/12/2019 at 10:20, ditchcrawler said:

How does the heat output compare with those cast ones to a modern double convector of the same length and height?

the photo I posted was a modern/new one, not cast. Just in case you thought this was... 

2 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

the photo I posted was a modern/new one, not cast. Just in case you thought this was... 

But the heat output should be similar to a cast one of similar proportions - the output is mainly determined by the surface area (hence the addition of fins on the back of panel radiators).

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

But the heat output should be similar to a cast one of similar proportions - the output is mainly determined by the surface area (hence the addition of fins on the back of panel radiators).

I see. The stated outputs for the various sizes appear to compare favourably with the regular/basic rads. 

Anyway, the cheapo pressed steel rads are so butt-ugly. When I was still a land-based home owner, I retrofitted reconditioned old iron rads in bedrooms and the two bathrooms. Loved them to bits. They take longer to heat up but also take longer to cool down. The floor standing variety allow curtains to be drawn behind them rather than in front as with tin radiators, so you heat the room not the window space. The modern ones are certainly becoming more popular.