• Via a bug killing filter built into the boat
    • From the boat taps but boiled first
    • Buy bottled water for drinking
    • Refill single use plastic bottles from the water side stand pipes
    • Use a purpose made water carrier

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

In reply to the thread on Water regulations a short poll

A good idea, Brian: the results will be very revealing. It only allows people to vote for one choice though. I have voted for "refilling plastic bottles", but we do sometimes buy bottled water too.

Only time I haven't drunk from the taps in 25 years was last summer when we left the boat for two months with the tank half full and the water smelt of bad eggs on our return. Drained tank added bottle of Milton when we refilled and again on next refill, another refill and the water is now ok to drink again.

Just now, Loddon said:

Only time I haven't drunk from the taps in 25 years was last summer when we left the boat for two months with the tank half full and the water smelt of bad eggs on our return. Drained tank added bottle of Milton when we refilled and again on next refill, another refill and the water is now ok to drink again.

Probably best to keep your eggs in the fridge rather than in the water tank....

• Greenie 1

We drink straight from the taps from the tank. However not always. The reason we do it here is that its not mains water, its much better unchlorinated private supply so never has any taint. We still use water straight from the tank elsewhere but swmbo sometimes puts it though a filter jug for her tea ? I dont,  I just whack it intut kettle from the tank for mi coffee.

Option 2 is slightly ambiguous. Firstly if we're being pedantic I'm not sure if filters actually kill bugs? But more importantly lots of people have filters, but fewer have filters that can actually filter down to less than about half a micron, required to filter out bacteria and cysts. Viruses can't be easily filtered but I think they may be less of a risk. 

https://www.wqa.org/learn-about-water/common-contaminants/bacteria-viruses

• Greenie 1

Yes. Option 2. Water filter. Don’t want to get too immune to bugs and nasties. As all livaboards our turnover of water is not a problem. S/S tank rather than steel helps. As does plastic pipe work I guess.

Edited by Nightwatch

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Option 2 is slightly ambiguous. Firstly if we're being pedantic I'm not sure if filters actually kill bugs? But more importantly lots of people have filters, but fewer have filters that can actually filter down to less than about half a micron, required to filter out bacteria and cysts. Viruses can't be easily filtered but I think they may be less of a risk. 

https://www.wqa.org/learn-about-water/common-contaminants/bacteria-viruses

That is exactly why I worded it like that. Some people have filters which they think will make anything safe to drink.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is exactly why I worded it like that. Some people have filters which they think will make anything safe to drink.

I think a sub-poll is necessary.  Who here thinks they have a bug killing filter? 

1) I think my filter kills bugs

2) I hope my filter kills bugs

3) I KNOW my filter kills bugs!!

4) I just likes voting in polls....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think a sub-poll is necessary.  Who here thinks they have a bug killing filter? 

1) I think my filter kills bugs

2) I hope my filter kills bugs

3) I KNOW my filter kills bugs!!

4) I just likes voting in polls....

Mine doesn't KILL bugs it just filters them out - I think you need UV filters for actually killing bugs.

This is the one I have :

The Sawyer MINI Water Filter is rated to 0.1 micron absolute, weighs only 2 ounces, and filters up to 100,000 gallons of water! The MINI can be attached to the included collapsible drinking pouch, inline on a hydration pack, on a standard soda bottle, or simply use the included drinking straw to drink directly from the water source. How is that for versatility? Like all Sawyer filters, a proper backwashing can restore up to 98.5% of the filter’s flow rate. That means no expensive cartridges to replace, ever...

* Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness...

* The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium...

57 minutes ago, Loddon said:

How did you check that the water was fit to drink?

We need to know the background:

1. My tank is SS

2. My tank is plastic

3. My tank is integral to the boat

4. My tank is filled via a filter from the canal

5. My tank collects rainwater

6. My tank's filler is carefully positioned so loads of carp inevitably goes in it

7. My tank is directly connected via amazing filters to my composting bog system

8. I don't know where my tank is. Do I have one?

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

We need to know the background:

1. My tank is SS

2. My tank is plastic

3. My tank is integral to the boat

4. My tank is filled via a filter from the canal

5. My tank collects rainwater

6. My tank's filler is carefully positioned so loads of carp inevitably goes in it

7. My tank is directly connected via amazing filters to my composting bog system

8. I don't know where my tank is. Do I have one?

This one is very relevant. At present I am looking at houses for sale and no where on any of the bumff from any estate agents is this listed? Perhaps it should be printed on their documentation other wise how the hell will I find the filler?

• Haha 2