Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mrsmelly

Is it ever going to stop raining?

Featured Posts

As title. Banging down here again all day today. Everything is waterlogged, basicaly not stopped for over two months apart from the very odd day. Out in a few minutes time to a great local event with 100 tractors taking part raising money for the local hospice which will be all but ruined ?

Just come back from Warminster, as I passed Longleat Safari Park Some fellow with a long white beard was marshalling the animals into pairs and mumbling something about an ark...

19 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Just come back from Warminster, as I passed Longleat Safari Park Some fellow with a long white beard was marshalling the animals into pairs and mumbling something about an ark...

Edward_Hicks,_American_-_Noah's_Ark_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

the Thames has been mostly on red boards for months, there are lots of CRT notices telling us that waterways or sections of them have too much water, and it has indeed rained a lot lately here in Croydon.

I try to take the optimistic view; the reservoirs should fill up and we'll have few restrictions on lock use in 2020.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

About right, that's clearly the lake at Longleat...

...and the boat is clearly East European Lady's latest creation.

I/m dreaming of a wet Christmas....

Epic wet season so far for us on the far edge of the North Downs. The rain normally never quite reaches us. But this year its hardly stopped.

It’s only raining in the Deep South. The other half of the U.K. is enjoying pleasant (for mid winter) weather. Probably the sins of the south catching up with it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s only raining in the Deep South. The other half of the U.K. is enjoying pleasant (for mid winter) weather. Probably the sins of the south catching up with it.

It is raining hard in the Fens, whose people are neither southerly nor (as far as I know) sinful.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is raining hard in the Fens, whose people are neither southerly nor (as far as I know) sinful.

If you care to look at a map of the U.K. you will notice that the fens are in the southern half of the country. And if not sinful, how come so many there have webbed feet and two heads?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If you care to look at a map of the U.K. you will notice that the fens are in the southern half of the country. And if not sinful, how come so many there have webbed feet and two heads?

:D

Because two heards are better than one, of course.

People think that East Anglia is further South than it actually is. Actually we're roughly on a level with Leicester, which while not flat-cap North isn't below the Mason-Dixon Line either.

The north starts at postcode N1.

I walked 100 yards north up the Calodonian Road..... and saw a flat cap and 2 whippets.

Edited by mark99
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

The north starts at postcode N1.

I walked 100 yards north up the Calodonian Road..... and saw a flat cap and 2 whippets.

Perhaps the "Caledonian" Road?....in which case you'd expect to see a set of bagpipes and two kilts.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

:D

Because two heards are better than one, of course.

People think that East Anglia is further South than it actually is. Actually we're roughly on a level with Leicester, which while not flat-cap North isn't below the Mason-Dixon Line either.

The most southerly point of mainland U.K. is 49 deg 57’ North, the most northerly is 58deg 40’, giving a latitude span of 8 deg 43’. So the mid point is 4deg 21.5’ north of 49deg57’, ie ~54deg 18’. Which on the east coast is somewhere between Bridlington and Scarborough, on the west between Lancaster and Kendal. 

Just now, nicknorman said:

The most southerly point of mainland U.K. is 49 deg 57’ North, the most northerly is 58deg 40’, giving a latitude span of 8 deg 43’. So the mid point is 4deg 21.5’ north of 49deg57’, ie ~54deg 18’. Which on the east coast is somewhere between Bridlington and Scarborough, on the west between Lancaster and Kendal. 

I'm sure you're right.

My calculation had evidently not taken into account that Scotland was still part of "the country".

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm sure you're right.

My calculation had evidently not taken into account that Scotland was still part of "the country".

As per the Pointless definition of a country - “a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right.” But I agree it is confusing when Scottish Nationalists refers to Scotland as a country, whilst (deliberately) failing to realise that that “country” is part of another country.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

As per the Pointless definition of a country - “a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right.” But I agree it is confusing when Scottish Nationalists refers to Scotland as a country, whilst (deliberately) failing to realise that that “country” is part of another country.

bugger! now you've started something!

Towpath in Rugby is very muddy, slippery and not very nice. Leaving here, hopefully, tomorrow to find a bit of well maintained towpath for Christmas. Not as easy as it sounds.

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

the Thames has been mostly on red boards for months, there are lots of CRT notices telling us that waterways or sections of them have too much water, and it has indeed rained a lot lately here in Croydon.

I try to take the optimistic view; the reservoirs should fill up and we'll have few restrictions on lock use in 2020.

Want to bet?

Nell bridge been a no go more times already this year than the last several years put together. Its torrential STILL here. Never mind eh :blush: