Will new bill save red diesel?

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Remember what Japanese cars/ bikes were once called. (For the benefit of young people it was jap c##p). Already chinese output is ,on balance, as good as the UK produced in the 50s and 60s after which the UK gave up producing. They can only improve whilst we slip further back to join the 3rd world.

Some Chinese stuff is already better than made in the first world, I have some Valence batteries made in China by an American company, but the quality is fantastic. 

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Not quite

We cease to be a member but still have to dance to their tune for another 11 months until we have agreed a deal.

So in reality its a year away.

I understand there is a transition period.

However we are in fact leaving the EU at the end of January . 

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I understand there is a transition period.

However we are in fact leaving the EU at the end of January . 

We are, but for the transition period we obey the EU rules so red diesel is a gonner I suspect! I am a full blown leaver so its going to a hard one for the next 11 months after we leave

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

for the transition period we obey the EU rules so red diesel is a gonner I suspect! 

As far as red diesel for boats  is concerned no one seems to know what is happening. 

Does anyone know of any retailer who has lifted a finger regarding changing to white diesel?

Another year  doesn't seem too long to continue as at present and to disobey the rules that we have been disobeying for several years already . Honestly I think red diesel used in boats is a trivial and insignificant thing in the whole Brexit scheme of things. Why implement any change that will affect businesses when it will become irrelevant in the near future?

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

As far as red diesel for boats  is concerned no one seems to know what is happening. 

Does anyone know of any retailer who has lifted a finger regarding changing to white diesel?

Another year  doesn't seem too long to continue as at present and to disobey the rules that we have been disobeying for several years already . Honestly I think red diesel used in boats is a trivial and insignificant thing in the whole Brexit scheme of things. Why implement any change that will affect businesses when it will become irrelevant in the near future?

Next year isnt it? so lets see what happens then?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Not quite

We cease to be a member but still have to dance to their tune for another 11 months until we have agreed a deal.

So in reality its a year away.

Again, not quite.  Subject to approval by UK and EU parliaments we have a withdrawal agreement which will come into force on 31st Jan as we leave the EU.  We than have 11 months where we maintain alignment with EU regulations while we negotiate a trade deal.  After that we either have a trade deal or leave WTO.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Again, not quite.  Subject to approval by UK and EU parliaments we have a withdrawal agreement which will come into force on 31st Jan as we leave the EU.  We than have 11 months where we maintain alignment with EU regulations while we negotiate a trade deal.  After that we either have a trade deal or leave WTO.

I think they can extend that beyond the end of 2020 if they agree to do so.

Let's hope that proves to be unnecessary .

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

I think they can extend that beyond the end of 2020 if they agree to do so.

Let's hope that proves to be unnecessary .

Luckily our PM has told them it will not be extended. Its what any one with any sense would do or the EU will pussy foot about. Whether it stays that way remains to be seen. Obviously a clean break Brexit would be better than extending but after forty odd years of oppression it will take time to Lance the boil. The biggy is 11pm 31st January if article fifty hasn't been revoked by then we have left, cannot go back unless a request to join the crock is made at a later date. I still keep pinching myself being this close to ridding of it. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Can I register my narrowboat as a fishing boat, (do have fishing mate aboard sometimes), and avoid the red tax?

Yes but a couple of points for consideration :

1) You will probably pay out more in Commercial Fishing licence fees, commercial BSS, Commercial Insurance etc that you save by using Red diesel.

2) When all the canal side fuel-sellers have gone over to 'White' as there is virtually no requirement for 'Red', where will you get you Red from ?

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When all the canal side fuel-sellers have gone over to 'White' as there is virtually no requirement for 'Red', where will you get you Red from ?

Red diesel is available at some road fuel stations and it may be ordered for  delivery by tanker.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Red diesel is available at some road fuel stations and it may be ordered for  delivery by tanker.

Decanting your own fuel into boat tanks will do wonders for the environmet with spillage.

Unless you have a large neck filler and a big tank, many suppliers will not serve narrowboats.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Can I register my narrowboat as a fishing boat, (do have fishing mate aboard sometimes), and avoid the red tax?

Only if you agree take it out to sea in all weathers and then it's unlikely you'll be filling the tank ever again. :)

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Decanting your own fuel into boat tanks will do wonders for the environmet with spillage.

Unless you have a large neck filler and a big tank, many suppliers will not serve narrowboats.

It happens (self refuelling) more than you may imagine.

In our 'old' marina a number of boats would self-refuel, take car/van,  go to the local garage and buy Red at a lower price than the marina. 10 x 25 litre cans, seems to me hardly worth it,  a small saving & to avoid starting the engine and cruising 100 yards to the fuel berth.

This makes refuelling without spillages a thing of the past (we use a similar one for refuelling at Sea)

Battery powered syphon / pump

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122229334747?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Luckily our PM has told them it will not be extended.

I keep pinching myself being this close to ridding of it. 

Your mate said we would leave at the end of October and that he would be dead in a ditch. He kept neither of those commitments so, as you intimate, what he says needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I hope your wife bought you lots of pairs of big white underpants for Christmas. You seem to be wetting yourself with excitement at every opportunity. She won't be able to keep up with your washing at the rate you are going ???

Given that you won't experience any benefits whatsoever from leaving, one has to wonder what else you have in your life? Perhaps you are a loser in every other area of your life and this is the only thing you have ever won. The fact that you still think you might lose suggests this.

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Your mate said we would leave at the end of October and that he would be dead in a ditch. He kept neither of those commitments so, as you intimate, what he says needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I hope your wife bought you lots of pairs of big white underpants for Christmas. You seem to be wetting yourself with excitement at every opportunity. She won't be able to keep up with your washing at the rate you are going ???

Given that you won't experience any benefits whatsoever from leaving, one has to wonder what else you have in your life? Perhaps you are a loser in every other area of your life and this is the only thing you have ever won. The fact that you still think you might lose suggests this.

Ahh You musnt keep biting. As usual you havnt the gumption to understand that leaving alone, is a massive benefit. We in the UK will again be leaders as sure as eggs is eggs others will follow. Until 11pm on the 31st the fat lady hasnt sung so I am not counting my chickens. As for needing lots of underpants that is better than nappies that you and some others seem to keep wetting. Have you looked back recently at the reams of moaning posts about anything whatsoever politicaly since december 12th. There are but two kinds of posters if you look, those that voted out in the referendum and Conservative in the recent G/E and those that voted remain in the referendum and some other now obscure political party. I know which group I am pleased to be a member of. As Ive said before, dont go backing any horses or playing the lottery, you will be throwing the money away that can be better spent on turnips on Februaury first.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, MartynG said:

I agree but I expect that's the way a lot of people will go. (Not me).

That's what lots do in mainland Europe, couple of Jerry cans on a trolly to the supermarket filling station and that's for white. It will be the same here as Boat yards and fuel boat wouldn't be able to get anywhere near Tesco prices.

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Well back on topic Ireland on the first of Jan 2020 can no longer use green diesel in boats and canal boat thinks we will be following suit shortly 

The difference being , Eire is not leaving the EU.