Will new bill save red diesel?

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not at all - my sister was a teacher, I chose 'industry' and was fortunate to be able to take early retirement at aged 46

gave me plenty of 'play-time'.

My bro in law used to say it was the best paid part time job in Britain. In later years as head of a big school he changed his mind. I don't think I could have coped with all the time off personally. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I agree. I make my point because, when I asked anyone who cared to answer,

"how has the EU law and regulation affected you in a negative way over the past few decades?"

The Red diesel issue was one of very few answers.

Given that it was one of the few things people could identify, it seems that hardly anybody has been negatively impacted by the EU, and one would wonder why on earth we are leaving. 

I accept that we are leaving. I don't think it will make much difference to me personally, and I much prefer a Tory government to a left wing Labour government as the least worse option.

From a distance it seems you haven't accepting we are leaving at all, as you keep banging on with your remainer rants.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

And wait 300 million years, give or take a few million, and I might get my old job back, coal mining.

?

If coal were discovered today, we/you would not be allowed to mine it.

If fracking had been discovered at the same time as coal mining, we would have been fracking like there was no tomorrow.

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

From a distance it seems you haven't accepting we are leaving at all, as you keep banging on with your remainer rants.

What on earth makes you think that:

I have acknowledged the fact a number of times but, for the sake of clarity,

Boris won the election. He's got a huge majority. We are leaving.... on his terms..... fact.

Nothing I can do about that is there? It's the done'est deal, of done deals, of all time - Smelly has absolutely nothing to worry about, to the point where he can stop hedging his bets.

I accepted it is going to happen the moment the exit poll was announced.

It doesn't mean I have to like it, I still don't know of any good reasons to do it, nobody has provided any good reasons to do it and, until I am prevented, I am free to say so, and to complain about it, as often as I like, in as many ways that I like. If you want to stop me, you are part of the reason to be fearful of just how far Boris, (his string pullers), might go.

I understand and accept that we are leaving.... not quite sure how many times, I might need to say that to convince you :( 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

What on earth makes you think that:

I have acknowledged the fact a number of times but, for the sake of clarity,

Boris won the election. He's got a huge majority. We are leaving.... on his terms..... fact.

Nothing I can do about that is there? It's the done'est deal, of done deals, of all time - Smelly has absolutely nothing to worry about, to the point where he can stop hedging his bets.

I accepted it is going to happen the moment the exit poll was announced.

It doesn't mean I have to like it, I still don't know of any good reasons to do it, nobody has provided any good reasons to do it and, until I am prevented, I am free to say so, and to complain about it, as often as I like, in as many ways that I like. If you want to stop me, you are part of the reason to be fearful of just how far Boris, (his string pullers), might go.

I understand and accept that we are leaving.... not quite sure how many times, I might need to say that to convince you :( 

This is the bit you repeatedly deny Richard. We have educated you countless times since the referendum as to good reasons to leave. One reason alone outweighs any reason for ever wanting to stay in. I will educate you again, having a sovereign government, the kind you are already now starting to see in action far outweighs a bit of trade that will be dealt with anyway. Having the government you and I have a vote in electing far outweighs a non country, club unelected by us having primacy over our government. You have actualy read up on just what eu primacy in law means havnt you?  It doesnt mean having a 1/28th say and hoping for the best.

• Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

12 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

And wait 300 million years, give or take a few million, and I might get my old job back, coal mining.

?

Ah - the Island could do with a bit more industry - wait a mo' you've only got chalk...

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If coal were discovered today, we/you would not be allowed to mine it.

If fracking had been discovered at the same time as coal mining, we would have been fracking like there was no tomorrow.

Their would have been no tomorrow I suspect huge earthquake jobs done and we have gone

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Their would have been no tomorrow I suspect huge earthquake jobs done and we have gone

Maybe, maybe not.... the US hasn't sunk into oblivion, so probably the latter.

I'm not supporting fracking, merely making the comparison between an industry which allowed big holes to be created under property, and one which is being prevented from doing something not dissimilar.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Maybe, maybe not.... the US hasn't sunk into oblivion, so probably the latter.

I'm not supporting fracking, merely making the comparison between an industry which allowed big holes to be created under property, and one which is being prevented from doing something not dissimilar.

I get you Richard the problem is everytime fracking starts here earthquakes follow! Or so it seems I know the USA has had them as well,  its the method of extraction that's maybe the cause? I lived in a mining area so subsidence has always been a problem, but it's slow taking many years not the bang crash house gone that sometimes follows earthquakes 

Interesting how the removal of a little tax break on red diesel leads to such debates on subjects from global warming to brexit, fracking and all manner of other topics, in reality it is economics that will drive the change, not our love of boating, saving the planet, electing the government of our choice, but basic economics of supply and demand.

Most of the low lying fruits of carbon fuel is getting exhausted and it is getting more expensive to mine,frack,drill to maintain our global consumption and this is driving change (some may say too slow but eh people will not lower their standards of living and others will strive to increase theirs that’s a fact of being human)

Technology by human endeavour will find solutions to the change required to move from fossil, else wars will be fought on a global scale for energy.

On a local note, how can we changed, what help can the gov give on conversion to Hybrid systems or full electric, tax breaks, loans, grants (Some one said "let’s use the railway electrification system to have charging points along the system"

I look forward to the challenges we face in the future and I'm sure together we will find solutions.

5 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Interesting how the removal of a little tax break on red diesel leads to such debates on subjects from global warming to brexit, fracking and all manner of other topics, in reality it is economics that will drive the change, not our love of boating, saving the planet, electing the government of our choice, but basic economics of supply and demand.

Most of the low lying fruits of carbon fuel is getting exhausted and it is getting more expensive to mine,frack,drill to maintain our global consumption and this is driving change (some may say too slow but eh people will not lower their standards of living and others will strive to increase theirs that’s a fact of being human)

Technology by human endeavour will find solutions to the change required to move from fossil, else wars will be fought on a global scale for energy.

On a local note, how can we changed, what help can the gov give on conversion to Hybrid systems or full electric, tax breaks, loans, grants (Some one said "let’s use the railway electrification system to have charging points along the system"

I look forward to the challenges we face in the future and I'm sure together we will find solutions.

Still lots of carbon fuel out there for many many years...i.e. Gas. Hundreds of wells drilled every year for oil but only a few percent have commercial quantities of oil. All have gas.

We have to find other ways to generate power. The big energy companies have been looking for 50 years plus with very limited success. For me nuclear is the short term but there has to be a big breakthrough in fission or other tech soon or else we are all doomed. No, on reflection, we are all doomed.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Still lots of carbon fuel out there for many many years...i.e. Gas. Hundreds of wells drilled every year for oil but only a few percent have commercial quantities of oil. All have gas.

We have to find other ways to generate power. The big energy companies have been looking for 50 years plus with very limited success. For me nuclear is the short term but there has to be a big breakthrough in fission or other tech soon or else we are all doomed. No, on reflection, we are all doomed.

You are right Bob I just hope that a few of us survive so that the human race continues, the best we could hope for is something like spanish flu wipes out four fifths of the worlds population that would sort it out nicely! Very grim eh but unfortunately its whats needed?

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Back on topic

1.  BBB (Big Bad Boris) has said that from 1st. February all EU regulations will end for us (Oh yeah....)

2.  UK major fuel duty is on road use and should not be levied on other use

1) They have been incorporated into British legislation https://www.gov.uk/eu-withdrawal-act-2018-statutory-instruments

2) So why does all petrol, including that for generators and tools, pay duty at the full rate?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Iain_S said:

So why does all petrol, including that for generators and tools, pay duty at the full rate?

My guess is that pretty much all expenditure on Petrol is 'discretionary', whilst Diesel (Red) is rebated to 11p (from 58p) it is for 'commercial use' (Agriculture, Construction, commercial boats etc etc) and 'leisure boating' has slipped in 'under the radar' until is was picked up by the EU and full duty was applied for propulsion use, whilst retaining the rebated price for 'domestic use' (the same as Kerosene for domestic use in 'houses')

Petrol, on the other hand is very little used in 'commercial applications' (only one that springs to mind is petrol 'angle grinders') and use on leisure boats, generators, etc is charged at full duty the same as diesel.

Successive Governments have probably considered that the introduction of new legislation to allow for the use of 'odd 1000' litres of rebated petrol is not worthwhile.

We should be grateful for having had 50+ years of cheap diesel to which we were not entitled, rather than moaning 'not fair' when the law is finally applied

Just flipping open a page in my log

On 22/7/01 I topped up the tanks in Holyhead and put in 239 litres @ 29p/litre.

On 26/7/01 I topped up in Troon (Scotland) with 400 litres at 21p/litre,

On 30/7/01 topped up at Rhu with  450 litres at 21.5p/litre

Paying £1 / litre just 18 years later makes a big difference, it is our choice to 'boat' so we have to pay for our choices.

Edit : 8 to 18 years

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1