Leisure batteries.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

you will probably find the 'spare batteries' are in fact dead and the previous owner couldn't be bothered to weigh them in at a scrappy.  Measure the voltage if under 12.4 they are unlikely to be very useful.  If you are on a shore line then charge them up with a mains charger for 8 hours and then load them with a old style car headlight bulb (60watt), they should light that for over 10 hours to be of much use (50Ahrs ). If they are 'dead' then connecting them to your present batteries may damage the ones in use, and if they have a 'dead cell' they may actually explode/split their case.

My poor understanding of batteries:

don't introduce poor batteries to a bank because they’ll drain the good ones. 

The good ones wanting to top the weakest. 

So, you’d need to know if the batteries you want to add are at least as good as the ones you’ve got. 

?

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

My poor understanding of batteries:

don't introduce poor batteries to a bank because they’ll drain the good ones. 

The good ones wanting to top the weakest. 

So, you’d need to know if the batteries you want to add are at least as good as the ones you’ve got. 

?

Yup. See post 2

Whenever I buy a boat I buy a new set of batteries and fit them the day I pick the boat up. Not knowing the history of batteries can be more trouble than its worth. Bin and replace with new and charge em plenty.