Man dies in boat fire

Califf

Featured Posts

If true then posting the boat name might come as a severe shock to anybody who knows who's boat it isn't but hasn't head the news.

Curiously although the Warwickshire Fire Service report sending two appliances to a fire at Barby Moorings, no mention is made of any fatality.

Similarly same story with Rugby Advertiser....

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/rugby-fire-crews-tackle-narrow-boat-blaze-1344098

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I’ve done many thousands of motorway miles and I didn’t understand your post either. 

I believe rubbernecking is slowing down to peer ghoulishly at road accidents.  Don't think it's appropriate here.  The OP says someone died.  Do we know this?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I believe rubbernecking is slowing down to peer ghoulishly at road accidents.  Don't think it's appropriate here.  The OP says someone died.  Do we know this?

Yes, I know what rubbernecking means but I didn’t understand the relevance to this thread. 

• Greenie 1

I hadn't spotted that OP has not ever made any other posts on the forum - it seems an odd post to be ones first.

Generally it is possible to validate claims about deaths on canal boats quite quickly.

I hope I'm right, but as neither the local news outlet nor the Warwikshire Fire Brigade make any mention of any casualty, despite reporting the incident, I'm tempted to think there hasn't been a death involved.

Nonetheless I'm grateful to OP for removing the name of the boat, in these circumstances - at least until any corroborating evidence is forthcoming.

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My understanding. Rubber necking is when you’re nodding off, you get a ‘flexible’ rubber neck. Swan necking is stretching your neck to look at things that don’t directly effect you, like a RTC.

I'm afraid all the dictionaries disagree with your understanding.  And swan necking is a finger deformity associated with arthritis  (unless it a couple of the Cygnus species showing affection, of course).

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm afraid all the dictionaries disagree with your understanding.  And swan necking is a finger deformity associated with arthritis  (unless it a couple of the Cygnus species showing affection, of course).

I think he is partialy correct. I use rubbernecking as the numpties who slow down and look at road accidents but years ago we used to say it when dropping off to sleep after lunch in training sessions at work. Furthermore words change in their  of use over time. I looked a couple of years ago in a dictionary my mum has from when she was a teenager and the word " Gay " mentions nothing about homosexuality as it does today. There are many instances like this.

31 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Never mind eh! My understanding stands.

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I looked a couple of years ago in a dictionary my mum has from when she was a teenager and the word " Gay " mentions nothing about homosexuality as it does today

BCE9129C-FB47-427C-A087-F8861453A191.jpeg.7f5b6bf3515576001030b56382021614.jpeg

Ovaltine makes you gay :)

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I hadn't spotted that OP has not ever made any other posts on the forum - it seems an odd post to be ones first.

Generally it is possible to validate claims about deaths on canal boats quite quickly.

I hope I'm right, but as neither the local news outlet nor the Warwikshire Fire Brigade make any mention of any casualty, despite reporting the incident, I'm tempted to think there hasn't been a death involved.

Nonetheless I'm grateful to OP for removing the name of the boat, in these circumstances - at least until any corroborating evidence is forthcoming.

That was the second what I considered odd first posting on the same day. I can't remember the other one now.

9 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

Sadly the info in the first post is correct. I am sure the emergency services will issue more information when the time is right.

Oh that is a great shame - I guess many of us were hoping it was not so.

Thank you for clarifying Graham.