Croydon canal

Bill P

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

I think the Croydon Canal was abandoned in 1836 by the railway company who'd bought it in order to use much of its land, for what is now called the "Overground" railway from West Croydon via Forest Hill to New Cross and beyond. Therefore not a "recent abandonment".

A short section of the Croydon Canal, later lined with concrete not clay, still exists in Betts Park, Anerley, which someone could in theory float along in a rubber dinghy, something I'd like to see done. So I suppose it could be argued that it's not totally abandoned? It depends how you define that maybe?

I think the reference to recent abandonment was to me accidentally xtending the Coal cana's life by 100 years!

I've seen the canal in Betts Park, and the same though had crossed my mind - so many canals so little time - I'll add it to my list but be warned I need to live to 200 to get through said list

Interesting indeed! I've sometimes visited and often been through Peckham over the years, but  haven't ever been to take a closer look at what's left of its canal , and I do wonder whether "Only Fools and Horses" may have missed an opportunity to get some laughs out of it. There was I think also a branch off to Camberwell.

Maybe it wouldn't be that big a project for some of all that to be restored? I think a lot of it is still unobstructed? It probably goes through several London boroughs who'd have to be involved. Definitely Southwark. [Possibly Greenwich and/or Lewisham, I'd have to look that up.]

On 09/02/2020 at 07:36, magpie patrick said:

I think the reference to recent abandonment was to me accidentally xtending the Coal cana's life by 100 years!

I've seen the canal in Betts Park, and the same though had crossed my mind - so many canals so little time - I'll add it to my list but be warned I need to live to 200 to get through said list

I did actually walk the section in Betts Park one day when I was about 11 or 12 with my friend Nigel from school; we just did it because it was there and drained of water at the time, out of curiosity. Sadly I heard recently from another friend who keeps contact with the rest of our school year that Nigel had died; in fact I last met him in 1976. We're all 64-65 and slowly dying off!

So Magpie Patrick, should you or anyone else decide one day to tick off that section on your wish list, do please invite me along! My local knowledge is old, but might be useful to the project.

Having lived much of my life in SE20 and Beckenham I've been up and down that line a lot over the years e.g. commuting to various jobs I had in London. But I was only vaguely aware of the existence of that remnant of the Croydon Canal, so all I can really offer about it is this article:

https://lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/openspaces/nature-reserves/dacres-wood-nature-reserve

I suppose it's probably still there.

5 hours ago, Peter X said:

Interesting indeed! I've sometimes visited and often been through Peckham over the years, but  haven't ever been to take a closer look at what's left of its canal , and I do wonder whether "Only Fools and Horses" may have missed an opportunity to get some laughs out of it. There was I think also a branch off to Camberwell.

Maybe it wouldn't be that big a project for some of all that to be restored? I think a lot of it is still unobstructed? It probably goes through several London boroughs who'd have to be involved. Definitely Southwark. [Possibly Greenwich and/or Lewisham, I'd have to look that up.]

The Camberwell branch runs through Burgess Park for its full length, but is completely infilled. There is still (or was last time I was there) a footbridge crossing over nothing. The Peckham Branch is a linear park, with most of the bridges intact. The northern section is largely built over, with the Surrey Canal Road built over part of the route during the 70s or maybe early 80s. The bridge carrying the Old Kent Road over the canal was removed a number of years ago as part of a road improvement scheme. Lost cause now I'm afraid.

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The Camberwell branch runs through Burgess Park for its full length, but is completely infilled. There is still (or was last time I was there) a footbridge crossing over nothing. The Peckham Branch is a linear park, with most of the bridges intact. The northern section is largely built over, with the Surrey Canal Road built over part of the route during the 70s or maybe early 80s. The bridge carrying the Old Kent Road over the canal was removed a number of years ago as part of a road improvement scheme. Lost cause now I'm afraid.

Picture of the Old Kent Road bridge in 1990  shortly before the Road was lowered

Old Kent Road crossing 10 4 90.jpg