Warning, boat break ins, GU

matty40s

Featured Posts

There have been at least 3 unoccupied boats broken into, and a lot of damage caused, 2 at Stoke Bruerne and one half way up the Buckby flight in the last few nights. ....apparently , according to the police, by a by someone from the canal side, not the towpath.

TV ripped off wall, guitars and inverter.. and stove ripped out and stolen from the one on the Buckby flight. 

Edited by matty40s

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There have been at least 3 unoccupied boats broken into, and a lot of damage caused, 2 at Stoke Bruerne and one half way up the Buckby flight in the last few nights. ....apparently , according to the police, by a by someone from the canal side, not the towpath.

TV ripped off wall and stove ripped out and stolen from the one on the Buckby flight. 

I assume they mean gas stove.

FB (Canal Market Place) has a report of another in Weedon Bec.

"Just north of Weedon Bec on the Grand Union. Towpath side Probably happened on Friday 13th Dec. They have stripped my friends boat of its stove, fridge, bike, coats shoes, food, and all kinds of stuff you would need to kit a boat out. Including the inverter! My friend is gutted, and homeless for Christmas."

For clarity - I have no relationship with the FB OP or the affected boater (although I hope they can get sorted quickly).  The above is a quote from Facebook which appears genuine enough and is supported by a crime ref. number.

Edited by GRLMK38
Clarification

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Linky appears broken..

If you search in the main search box for Weedon Bec, the relevant post appears 4th on the list.  If that doesn't work, it will be in today's post inside the Canal Market Place Group (which you may have to join if you're not already a member).

I do feel sorry for the miscreants in these case. Perhaps they are from broken homes? maybe they have been misunderstood through life? may be they need help in moving forward. Maybe it would be nice if you could actualy do something to the scumbags if they had the bottle to do it in your presence :rolleyes:

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Perhaps someone who does facebook could show the detail.??

It’s as previously posted. A copy/paste of the post:

Pay attention on the southern grand union, this from another site. That’s two boats in pretty quick succession, unfortunately it looks like it’s someone on about.

Hi all. Sadly to report a break in:
Just north of Weedon Bec on the Grand Union. Towpath side  Probably happened on Friday 13th Dec. They have stripped my friends boat of its stove, fridge, bike, coats shoes, food, and all kinds of stuff you would need to kit a boat out. Including the inverter! My friend is gutted, and homeless for Christmas. 

We have a crime number. 

There was also a very similar crime reported north of here, near Long Buckby previous to this. So we assume they are moving south on the Grand Union, ruining people's Christmas.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

We should feel sorry for boaters who have lost a stove?  It is not as if they have lost £50,000,000 in jewels, now there's folk I feel deeply sorry for...

Having a wealthy Daddy sometimes helps!

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Easiest way in, hatches, windows, doors, they areant bothered about causing damage apparently.

thanks.. just wandering as you can't physically get through our doors or windows as they are too small (glass area)….. they probably crow bar in?

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Disgusting. Would a normal boater do this sort of stuff?

Oh yes. When we were moored near Birdingbury Wharf on the Upper GU, our large side fenders which protected the hull from the concrete edge, were stolen. But worse than that, the boat moored in fromt of us had his lister Gearbox stolen, whuich must have taken them quite a while as it had to be removed from the engine. I cannot believe either were not committed by boaters

46 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Disgusting. Would a normal boater do this sort of stuff?

We had a mop nicked from the roof, by another boater, I kid you not!  The next day, walking along the towpath with the dog, there it was on their roof.  It was instantly recognisable by its rank appearance, thus I was not particularly troubled to get it back, but it really did pose the question “why”!

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

key!  (we've got steel doors and small windows - unless they are really skinny or they use a crowbar it would be job to get in....

You confused me when you said they couldn't physically get thru the doors - I was imagining some hobbit / dwarf sized doors.

Those battery angle-grinders are super tools !!!!

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

When boats are broken into, what form of entry do they get?  is it usually doors or windows?  

Bow doors behind cratch covers are a firm favourite, and if those bow doors have small windows even better as far as thieves are concerned. Once they're under the cover nobody can see them and they can take as long as they want. That's why I don't have windows in my doors or a cratch cover.

The other vulnerable areas are hatches or doors which have interior bolts just screwed into the wooden lining or exterior hasps screwed into wood. You don't even need a crow bar - a large screwdriver will do as a lever.

As for windows, any size window is vulnerable to vandalism, but thieves generally don't like to enter a boat through a broken window for obvious reasons.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Those battery angle-grinders are super tools !!!!

Fortunately most boat break-ins are done by opportunists and they rarely carry more than a screwdriver.

Edited by blackrose