Mifi antenna

MtB

Featured Posts

I have a Voodoofone mifi dongle thing (model R216) that works brilliantly most of the time, but tonight the connection is minghing (technical term).

I'm wondering about buying one of these for such occasions. Do they work or are they a waste of beer tokens, does anyone know please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Aerial-Booster-4G-Vodafone-R212-R215-K5150-K5006z-R216/253179505484?hash=item3af2acab4c:g:QFMAAOSw241Yh3Ac

s-l1600.jpg

P.S. the voodoofone dongle is unlocked and has a Three "All You Can Eat" sim in it.....

If you are buying one, buy a real one without all the writing on the side.

If you have a midi dongle, you will need leads to change the output leads from that unit to a smaller (TS9??) Socket.

Why not get a router, with a decent aerial, the router can be operated from a 12v stabilised socket.

Shown is Huawei B525 and a Poynting XPLOL-1,TV aerial is going as TV works far better through a direct ethernet cable from the router, and we can tether 21 laptops, phones and blow up the Pentagon whilst watching Netflix.

20191215_221605.jpg

20191215_221718.jpg

• Greenie 1

The antenna gain for an omni directional antenna is just a few dBi (say 4dBi). If the antenna is claiming a lot more than it is probably very directional (or they are not being honest), which means it must point at the base station within a few degrees.  For a fixed install on a building in a weak signal area it is possibly a good idea, but on a boat where you don’t know which way to point it, it is going to be a nightmare to align.  Of course if you can see the base station then you can align it, but then if you can see it you don’t need a high gain antenna.

My view is an external antenna is a good benefit but I would only have an omni directional antenna.  

Mike,

It says its 48 dBi, or 2 x 24dBi, and also

"

Just install panel outside of your house/boat/caravan/motorhome, check position of your nearest station and set anetnna in that direction."

So it's directional and you need to know where the providers aerial is.

For Matty40s it says it has TS9 connectors for a Huawei and a variety of other mifi routers.

I've had the same aerial as Matty for several years now and it boosts the signal significantly, even though it's only a few Dbi boost. In the middle of nowhere, with not even a phone signal, (EE and Three), the mifi connected to the aerial gets a good signal which allows calls over Facetime and watching video, like Catchup and YouTube.

20 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree with Matty.

Get yourself a decent anntena. We use the Poynting XPLOL-1. Brilliant for non-campers.

Unless you are moored in crick marina ☹️

It works when it feels like it and if we do get a signal it's very week (three)

No phone or data signal on EE either. It's pretty much a complete notspot. 

If we move onto the cut just outside the marina it works fine on 3 but still nothing on our phones on EE.

Makes me laugh when they rave about the 5g roll out when you can't get a basic signal in some places.

17 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Unless you are moored in crick marina ☹️

It works when it feels like it and if we do get a signal it's very week (three)

No phone or data signal on EE either. It's pretty much a complete notspot. 

If we move onto the cut just outside the marina it works fine on 3 but still nothing on our phones on EE.

Makes me laugh when they rave about the 5g roll out when you can't get a basic signal in some places.

Can you get Vodafone?  We're round the corner at Yelvertoft and get a good Vodafone data signal.....

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Can you get Vodafone?  We're round the corner at Yelvertoft and get a good Vodafone data signal.....

Thanks for the info Rob but I think we will just have to put up with it for now as we are already paying for two data contracts plus our phones.

They all worked ok over summer when we were out and about it's just crick.

We might look at a different marina for next winter or brave it out on the canal.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That we can get a 3/4G signal at all inside a metal box amazes me. Putting an antenna outside and higher up is always going to have a better chance than relying on what can find its way through the windows/portholes.

Jen

This is all true, but I find the occasions when my mobile phone doesn't get me all the internet connection (including tv streaming) I need are few and far between.  Granted, I do occasionally have to put it in the window,  and I accept it can be bettered with a higher gain aerial at height, but I haven't yet had reason justify the extra expense.

43 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Thanks for the info Rob but I think we will just have to put up with it for now as we are already paying for two data contracts plus our phones.

They all worked ok over summer when we were out and about it's just crick.

We might look at a different marina for next winter or brave it out on the canal.

Cropredy [also a Castle Marina] has a stonking 4G signal on BT/EE and a semi decent marina Wi-Fi, depending where you are moored. The cell tower is only 800 yds or so away in Williamscott

• Greenie 1

Over years of experimenting, I've found the most cost effective solution is a simple whip antenna which I put on top of my pigeon box. The next best is a yagi array with umpteen elements that - being highly directional - only works if you know exactly where the transmitter is. I can see the distribution mast on top of the South Downs (It's got a nice red light on it - just for me - which I can see from my study window.....