Requirements needed

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi 

I have a question

is there a minimum amount of crew needed on a boat

could 1 person crew a 50ft narrow boat on his own?

could 1 person crew a 60 ft Dutch sea crusiser

could I person crew a 70ft Sea cruiser

the above legally, or insurance wise.

just a thought

on the coast owning a 45 sea boat, could/ would you be legal   On the south case on your own?

col

I have seen people who manage to crew two loaded 72 foot trading narrow boats, (motor and butty pair), on their own, including stopping in odd places to sell other boaters diesel, solid fuel and gas.

I couldn't do it, but if you are agile and resourceful enough, it is certainly possible!

Plenty of people sail around the world o their own, and on the canals I would say at least a third are singe handed

Just now, alan_fincher said:

I have seen people who manage to crew two loaded 72 foot trading narrow boats, (motor and butty pair), on their own, including stopping in odd places to sell other boaters diesel, solid fuel and gas.

I couldn't do it, but if you are agile and resourceful enough, it is certainly possible!

Exactly this ^^^^^^

24 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi 

I have a question

just a thought

on the coast owning a 45 sea boat, could/ would you be legal   On the south case on your own?

col

If private then yes. Of course Mr insurer may need asking? Many small fishermen go out to sea single handed daily.

29 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi 

I have a question

just a thought

col

I regularly crewed our 52ft Narrowboat single handed without any problems, and that included several journeys on the Thames between Reading and either Oxford or Brentford and the Insurance Company were fine with it. You just have to make sure that you have everything you might need close to hand, so that you do not have to leave the tiller, or moor up, to get them.

The crew requirements are defined by the navigaion authority, and perhaps by your insurance.  You could possibly have insurance that does not allow single handing, although I don’t think that is a normal restriction.  Similarly CRT don’t, as far as I know, have any specific crew requirements, so single handing is fine.  However that is not necessarily the case with other navigation authorities, for example ABP for the Port of Hull, require two on board on the Tidal Trent in their jurisdiction, ie downstream of Gainsborough.

26 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Absolutely.  I am also reasonably confident that it could be done on her own too ?

I am more than reasonably confident. In about ten seconds I can think of four women I know with 50ft+ narrow boats they single hand around (and all used to post on here). I could probably think of several more if I thought about it properly.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am more than reasonably confident. In about ten seconds I can think of four women I know with 50ft+ narrow boats they single hand around (and all used to post on here). I could probably think of several more if I thought about it properly.

and a fairly small woman who usually single handed a hefty historic dutch barge and made the rest of us look like amateurs. She spent a lot of time seriously overstaying on VM's so sadly it was quite rare to get a chance to witness her boat handling skills. :)

...............Dave

If you're single handing you're not "crew" but "captain", Shirley. 

On 15/12/2019 at 21:31, dmr said:

and a fairly small woman who usually single handed a hefty historic dutch barge and made the rest of us look like amateurs. She spent a lot of time seriously overstaying on VM's so sadly it was quite rare to get a chance to witness her boat handling skills. :)

...............Dave

If you need water, don't bother with Tod, somebody's moored on it. ????

46 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

If you're single handing you're not "crew" but "captain", Shirley. 

If you need water, don't bother with Tod, somebody's moored on it. ????

Broken down mate, air in the diesel, could be here for months :).

....and this is the "squatting spot", the service berth is the next one. We did try to move back a bit more but ran out of water, and there was still good access to the tap till another boat moored in front of us. I really should move to the other side, its not good here, so close to the pub that you can go for a quick pint without even putting your coat on.

................Dave

14 hours ago, dmr said:

Broken down mate, air in the diesel, could be here for months :).

....and this is the "squatting spot", the service berth is the next one. We did try to move back a bit more but ran out of water, and there was still good access to the tap till another boat moored in front of us. I really should move to the other side, its not good here, so close to the pub that you can go for a quick pint without even putting your coat on.

................Dave

?Them fierce northern winds are very penetrating. As for moving further back, there's a pile of stone and shallows there as you have found. Have a good  Christmas. 

Edited by Jim Riley

• 5 weeks later...

I've moved my 57 x 12ft widebeam single handed on canals and rivers including the Thames from Limehouse to Teddington and up to Reading; R. Avon from Bath to Bristol, but I employed the services of a pilot to get me across the Bristol channel from Portishead to Sharpness. Done part of the Severn on my own up to Tewkesbury and the length of the Warks Avon.

When you turn up at a lock on a big boat on your own you sometimes get funny looks from people on smaller boats who assume your crew must be asleep inside. People who only ever move their boats with crew assume single handing is difficult. It does take a bit more skill but once you get used to it it's all perfectly possible.

Reading-20130418-00201.jpg

Edited by blackrose

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:07, peterboat said:

Plenty of people sail around the world o their own, and on the canals I would say at least a third are singe handed

Exactly this ^^^^^^

Indeed they do. On the canals, it is perfectly possible as long as a) it is accepted by the boat's insurance company and b) that the boater is capable and competent in boat handling and management.

As far as sailing single handed round the world b) is perfectly achievable technically,  and it has been done many times as you say. However, complying with a) is very problematical, because it is impossible to totally comply with the requirements of the Collision regulations, which negates any insurance cover. In case you are unfamiliar the specific rule it is quite specific and very clear:-

Rule 5

Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the

situation and of the risk of collision.

Many a blind eye has been turned to this requirement over the years!

Howard

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, howardang said:

Indeed they do. On the canals, it is perfectly possible as long as a) it is accepted by the boat's insurance company and b) that the boater is capable and competent in boat handling and management.

As far as sailing single handed round the world b) is perfectly achievable technically,  and it has been done many times as you say. However, complying with a) is very problematical, because it is impossible to totally comply with the requirements of the Collision regulations, which negates any insurance cover. In case you are unfamiliar the specific rule it is quite specific and very clear:-

Rule 5

Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the

situation and of the risk of collision.

Many a blind eye has been turned to this requirement over the years!

Howard

I sailed from Sydney back to the UK when I was in the Army, big crew and always 2 people on watch at night.It was a proper adventure we were supposed to do legs of the journey but I wangled the whole trip brilliant time which i would love to repeat

34 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I sailed from Sydney back to the UK when I was in the Army, big crew and always 2 people on watch at night.It was a proper adventure we were supposed to do legs of the journey but I wangled the whole trip brilliant time which i would love to repeat

That sounds like a great trip and I can understand that you would want to do it again. There are ways of doing it but most of them have either a large cost element or sometimes take up a long time in training, and work does have a habit of  getting in the way!:boat:

As a matter of interest, I looked on the web site of a large Yacht Insurers to see what they might quote for single handed yachtsmen; significantly, they were Haven Knox-Johnston Boat Insurance, a familiar name in single handed sailing! They can and do provide single handed cover, but only up to 18 hours per day, and this hourly restriction I think is echoed by another poster to this thread who mentioned that his inland cover also has the same time limit.

Howard

8 minutes ago, howardang said:

As a matter of interest, I looked on the web site of a large Yacht Insurers to see what they might quote for single handed yachtsmen; significantly, they were Haven Knox-Johnston Boat Insurance, a familiar name in single handed sailing! They can and do provide single handed cover, but only up to 18 hours per day, and this hourly restriction I think is echoed by another poster to this thread who mentioned that his inland cover also has the same time limit.

Yes that was me, although not with HKJ. The broker did say that the 18 hour restriction is designed around sea sailers, and not really intended to deal with canal boating, but it is in the standard policy wording.