Status Updates

Featured Posts

There have been quite a few of these appearing lately in New Content, and I haven't the foggiest idea what they mean.  Frinstance:

Sir Nibble>mrsmelly

Sir Nibble posted a new status update on mrsmelly's profile

Probably FOMO, but can anyone tell me what's going on?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I noticed one a few weeks ago, and there have been a couple more since. It appears to be that, when one member sends a message to another, sometimes it appears here rather than being a private conversation between the members. This could of course be a source of potential embarrassment or annoyance.

Once they're displayed, there seems to be no way of hiding them from public view either. I think it may be that members inadvertently write their message in the space marked "Write a public message on the recipient's profile. So I'm going to do so on your profile page and see if it appears on "View New Content"..

What's a fomo?

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

I noticed one a few weeks ago, and there have been a couple more since. It appears to be that, when one member sends a message to another, sometimes it appears here rather than being a private conversation between the members. This could of course be a source of potential embarrassment or annoyance.

Once they're displayed, there seems to be no way of hiding them from public view either. I think it may be that members inadvertently write their message in the space marked "Write a public message on the recipient's profile. So I'm going to do so on your profile page and see if it appears on "View New Content"..

What's a fomo?

Ah, I thought you implied in your message to me that it was a private message.  FOMO  =   Fear Of Missing Out.

There is a box marked "Write a public message on xyz feed..."

Not my italic. 

So but I'm not sure that is the same thing as a status update, which is different and as far as I'm aware only a member can change their status. 

However it doesn't explain what you are seeing. Depending on what your view new content is set to display. 

Daniel

6 hours ago, DHutch said:

There is a box marked "Write a public message on xyz feed..."

Not my italic. 

So but I'm not sure that is the same thing as a status update, which is different and as far as I'm aware only a member can change their status. 

However it doesn't explain what you are seeing. Depending on what your view new content is set to display. 

Daniel

Yes, Athy explained what was causing it, and demonstrated what happened, so Athy > Mac of Cygnet appeared, with "Athy posted a status update on Mac of Cygnet's profile", but nothing appeared on 'status updates'  on my profile, so I will put it down to one of the many things which have left me behind in Cyberworld, and forget about it.