What is the history of nb Kilsby?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

nb Kilsby is on its way to Tooley's for repair, as per this news story. 

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18084663.narrowboat-journey-2020-canal-fest/ 

I was curious about its origins. The name doesn't feature on the HNBC or National Historic Ships websites, but it looks pretty old. 

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

Sadly the quoted history is far from accurate.  Kilsby was built by Braithwaite and Kirk for Fellows Morton and Clayton in 1913 as a horse boat for general cargo.  In 1945 it was sold to the Manchester Ship Canal Co for use as a mud boat on the Bridgewater Canal.  Sold off for conversion to a houseboat in the 1980s it was called Helsby for a while.  I’m sure Pete H has much more info!

Paul

Mods - can this be moved to History & Heritage where it will get more attention?

Edited by Paul H

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

Sadly the quoted history is far from accurate.  Kilsby was built by Braithwaite and Kirk for Fellows Morton and Clayton in 1913 as a horse boat for general cargo.  In 1945 it was sold to the Manchester Ship Canal Co for use as a mud boat on the Bridgewater Canal.  Sold off for conversion to a houseboat in the 1980s it was called Helsby for a while.  I’m sure Pete H has much more info!

Paul

Mods - can this be moved to History & Heritage where it will get more attention?

Paul, many thanks.