ID the painter?

magnetman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I dont know, theres a painted canalware pan in the way......

If you zoom right in theres a faint signature in the bottom left corner. I believe it to be an original Van Dyke.

(Unfortunately its Dick Van Dyke, and his paintings are rated about as highly as his cockney accent).

• Haha 1

The handbowl is real enough, the painting not by any recognised hand I’m aware of. Having had a look, it could be the work of a boatman painter, typically neat and careful stuff which typified their work. Nothing to do with the modern Chinese stuff which makes me prostrate with dismal. I feel a hint of Frank Jones’ work in the roses, perhaps the painter was influenced by him. Which boatman painter? I don’t know. Possibly early souvenir work, I’m only offering suggestions. Can anyone put flesh on these meagre bones?

The hand bowl itself is definitely a good quality item. Spotted in a charity shop in West London. I didn't buy it but was tempted. £35. Not a stunning bargain as it's clearly not particularly old in terms of the patina of the paint but it did seem to be a reasonably interesting item and the worn off paint on the handle indicated that it has been well used. That's why I wondered if it was a "real one" in the sense of something which has been on a working canal boat. 

ETA for some reason it reminded me of the lady who used to have a shop beside Braunston bottom lock in the 90s. I think her surname was Ward not sure of her first name but she had some of these sorts of things at the shop in the mid nineties. Also had pints of milk which I found handy :)

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

The handbowl is real enough, the painting not by any recognised hand I’m aware of. Having had a look, it could be the work of a boatman painter, typically neat and careful stuff which typified their work. Nothing to do with the modern Chinese stuff which makes me prostrate with dismal. I feel a hint of Frank Jones’ work in the roses, perhaps the painter was influenced by him. Which boatman painter? I don’t know. Possibly early souvenir work, I’m only offering suggestions. Can anyone put flesh on these meagre bones?

It is certainly not unlike work by former boatman Joe Harrison, though not close enough perhaps that I think it is actually by him.

My gut feeling is also its a boatman painter, and possibly painted for the souvenir market, although I notice Magnetman thinks it has had real use.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

The hand bowl itself is definitely a good quality item. Spotted in a charity shop in West London. I didn't buy it but was tempted. £35.

In the current  marketplace I'd have thought £35 was a very reasonable price for this.

If I'd seen it, I suspect I would now own it!

7 hours ago, dave moore said:

A close up from a can Uncle Joe painted for me .

Other members of his family  also have  a few cans he painted he gave me a book full of his pencil sketches of Roses & castles but the book is now in danger of the paper falling apart  i also have a few small Narrowboats that he whittled out of wood about the time he was painting ware for his mate  David Bladgrove when things where sold off the boat at Stoke Brurne 

101_0183 (2).JPG

7 hours ago, dave moore said:

A close up from a can Uncle Joe painted for me .

Other members of his family  also have  a few cans he painted he gave me a book full of his pencil sketches of Roses & castles but the book is now in danger of the paper falling apart  i also have a few small Narrowboats that he whittled out of wood about the time he was painting ware for his mate  David Bladgrove when things where sold off the boat at Stoke Brurne