Candle making for Christmas.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Material required.

Toilet roll or paper towel roll tubes

Lengths of string.

Scrapings from your friy up fat frying pan and from your roasting tin.

Method.       Nail one end of the string down on your table and then slip the bog roll tube over the string, Place the tube so that the string is dead centre in it. Pull string taught and nail the other end to the ceiling.  Scrape all the sol;idified fat from the frying pan and roasting tin into a metal pot and heat until fluid.  Then quickly pour it into the tube around the string wick. Leave for one hour to re-harden then peel away the tube and snip off the string wick leaving a bit stickin up, to reveal your beautiful handiwork.  The fat can be coloured too while fluid by mixing in any old paint, although most folk will prefer the fragrant but heady smell of a fry up breakfast cooking when alight,  In fact all sort of smells can be mixed in.   The big tall candles made in the long hand towel tubes can be sold to churches and can be made ''assembly line fashion'' once you've saved up enough tubes. The quickest way to do that is to cause severe food poisoning which will means using and buying tons of toilet rolls.   Good luck.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

It's not going to work. Animal fats are too soft.

You need to gather beeswax from your beehives. Best to keep these on the cabin roof. Travel only during the hours of darkness or you will lose most of the hive. ?

PS I adapted your suggestion to use a foil pie dish to deflect stove flue/deck-head overheating. Involved foil covered insulating [fibreglass] tape, it certainly worked, just looks rather strange.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

It's not going to work. Animal fats are too soft.

You need to gather beeswax from your beehives. Best to keep these on the cabin roof. Travel only during the hours of darkness or you will lose most of the hive. ?

PS I adapted your suggestion to use a foil pie dish to deflect stove flue/deck-head overheating. Involved foil covered insulating [fibreglass] tape, it certainly worked, just looks rather strange.

That's frying and roasting with oil that makes them soft, but it should be ok for making night light size candles, otherwize for the biguns to toughen it up use lard or a high viscosity motor oil, better still Hi-Press ep 140 gear oil or Texaco Marfak grease to fry and roast with.

Edited by bizzard

I use an old silicon sealant tube with top cut off.

Arrange string down centre through a hole in centre of the plunger cap, pour in old wax (melted) from whatever source.

When it's set just put into your sealant gun and push out a candle!

Works really well, and you can repeat as required. 

They look like this...

IMG_20191213_candles.jpg

Edited by zimzim
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

New York is given as the posters location, which is certainly New York in Rotherham, by the South Yorkshire Navigation. I've cruised my boat to both New York and Boston.

We've taken ours through Denver!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2020 at 18:48, ditchcrawler said:

Reported 

You've got to admire the excellent command of English used by these top flight advertisers, my crystal ball shows me a Nigerian postcode for correspondence. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 21:50, bizzard said:

Material required.

Toilet roll or paper towel roll tubes

Lengths of string.

Scrapings from your friy up fat frying pan and from your roasting tin.

Method.       Nail one end of the string down on your table and then slip the bog roll tube over the string, Place the tube so that the string is dead centre in it. Pull string taught and nail the other end to the ceiling.  Scrape all the sol;idified fat from the frying pan and roasting tin into a metal pot and heat until fluid.  Then quickly pour it into the tube around the string wick. Leave for one hour to re-harden then peel away the tube and snip off the string wick leaving a bit stickin up, to reveal your beautiful handiwork.  The fat can be coloured too while fluid by mixing in any old paint, although most folk will prefer the fragrant but heady smell of a fry up breakfast cooking when alight,  In fact all sort of smells can be mixed in.   The big tall candles made in the long hand towel tubes can be sold to churches and can be made ''assembly line fashion'' once you've saved up enough tubes. The quickest way to do that is to cause severe food poisoning which will means using and buying tons of toilet rolls.   Good luck.

But, following these detailed and helpful instructions I now have candles nailed to the table by the ends of their wicks !!!!! How do I get my table back?

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 21:50, bizzard said:

Material required.

Toilet roll ...

The quickest way to do that is to cause severe food poisoning which will means using and buying tons of toilet rolls.   Good luck.

On 17/05/2021 at 15:22, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what the attraction of this topic is

I don't know, but it may have been directly responsible for the great 2020 bog roll famine...

Either that or we should hail @bizzard as a prophet???

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2