Need to get dry

Horizon

Featured Posts

Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone has any help they can offer, I’m going to be relocating from Lincolnshire to Sheffield in the coming weeks, but I’ve just found I have a leak from an air vent on the roof, I’ve covered it with a bucket for now but I need to repair, anyone got a good location, basically I want to wait under a bridge of fly over for a day or two whilst I fix it and let it dry best I can, is there anywhere along the way any one would suggest, I’m a good Yorkshire man so won’t pay those dry dock fees lol thank you in advance 

Not sure if it's too far, but on the Stainforth and Keadby canal, just after Thorne, the canal passes under the M18, you can moor up there for a while. There's also a bridge a few miles back at Crowle, and another just after Keadby which is a new link to Keadby power station.

29 minutes ago, Horizon said:

Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone has any help they can offer, I’m going to be relocating from Lincolnshire to Sheffield in the coming weeks, but I’ve just found I have a leak from an air vent on the roof, I’ve covered it with a bucket for now but I need to repair, anyone got a good location, basically I want to wait under a bridge of fly over for a day or two whilst I fix it and let it dry best I can, is there anywhere along the way any one would suggest, I’m a good Yorkshire man so won’t pay those dry dock fees lol thank you in advance 

At the moment Tinsley flight is sort of closed the river is in the red and silt seems to be causing them problems, Ethel went up yesterday but was extremely hard work involving a lot of pulling on ropes!! When I inquired about passage I was told not in the foreseeable future, so talk to them is my advice

The good thing with the M18 bridge, you are close to Thorne if you need any supplies. It's not far after Stanilands Marina who have a reasonable chandlery and you will also pass Thorne Boatyard who are very helpful.

My boat is in Bluewater marina, I don't live aboard, but if I'm there and you need an extra pair of hands, always happy to help out.

Kevin

I think what I’ll do is get her under cover, dry and warm inside, and do a couple jobs, I need to have new front doors made I can do them but it’s a good opportunity to do them. Does any one have advice on glass for the doors, ? I’m thinking etched glass but have no idea what type. 

1 minute ago, Horizon said:

Does any one have advice on glass for the doors, ?

Laminated or toughened would be best. In a house this is a requirement under building regulations unless they are very small panes. Laminated can be cut by a glazier toughened is made to size.

Ask a question get a great answer I love the canal world life, I think as laminated is from the sounds of it easier to come about, I’ll go for that, I should probably have some curtains or blinds made rather then never have the option with etched glass, I might just might like to look out now and again lol thank you

1 hour ago, Horizon said:

Thank you, most likely hang back a little before I get there then, I’m not in the mood for hard work lol, I’ve got far to much I can get on with. Thanks for the advice 

I take it you have moorings at Tinsley, as Peter says boats are struggling to get up the flight and it’s been raining all day so could stay closed for a while, also Sheffield closes down 7th Jan for 3 month and the basin is full.