Carbon monoxide safety on NBs

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The more I learn the more amazed I am to have survived...when we were young and broke there was little knowledge about boat stuff. We installed fires  bodged up glass doors ,all without co2 monitors and smoke detectors. Ignorance is bliss.

dont need coal in gippsland at moment, its a bit smokey..

...but that was the whole point of my post a few days ago. If the flue is good then you dont get CO in the boat. In the old days we had an open coal fire in the house. Last week we stayed in a hotel with an open wood fire in the lounge. No one died while we were there. With a good flue then all the combustion gases are extracted.

Once the flue gets blocked however, all bets are off and it is then a major problem. It's less easy to see on  a boat stove compared to an open fire if the flue is compromised and that is what I ignored.

1 minute ago, Up-Side-Down said:

How much, if any, of your flue pipe is insulated? The debate as to whether all the flue should be insulated will no doubt run forever but there is little doubt in my mind (based on decades of experience) that all the external section of pipe should be of the double insulated variety. The position of your blockage proves that point.

Yes, I agree. I would always go with a double insulated variety. The blockage in mine was just at the roof level ...where the pipe exits the roof. The chimney is a double tube but not as well insulated as at the collar (or below) so there will have been a steeper temperature gradient at that point and therefore potential for condensation of volatiles from the stove combustion gas.