Sheffield Keel 'Olive'

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Does anyone know the whereabouts or fate of a Sheffield keel called Olive?  Back in about 1970 it was moored on the Don at Sprotborough, and in private ownership.  It became the first clubhouse of the Strawberry Island Boat Club, before being replaced some time in the 1970s by a new temporary 'portakabin-style' clubhouse. I heard it went down south somewhere, but perhaps it has been broken up?  

5 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

Does anyone know the whereabouts or fate of a Sheffield keel called Olive?  Back in about 1970 it was moored on the Don at Sprotborough, and in private ownership.  It became the first clubhouse of the Strawberry Island Boat Club, before being replaced some time in the 1970s by a new temporary 'portakabin-style' clubhouse. I heard it went down south somewhere, but perhaps it has been broken up?  

Saw it at Limehouse in 1986!

117 115 London Ring Cruise Limehouse Lock 17th August 1986.jpg

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Better than the other way round.

Tim, is it the one moored back left?

Yes

Also on the same day. Also shows a pre-deconversion of Fulbourne moored up next to Elizabeth

421732974_112LondonRingCruiseLimehouseBasin16thAugust1986.jpg.6cd845c12d6c94d1af18cccc80c30430.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Yes

Also on the same day. Also shows a pre-deconversion of Fulbourne moored up next to Elizabeth

I like the (logical) word "pre-deconversion".

Edited by Athy

19 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

There is a website and associated Facebook page called Liquid Highway which is about tugs & Barges around the Thames, might be worth asking there

Many thanks. 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:12, Tim Lewis said:

There is a website and associated Facebook page called Liquid Highway which is about tugs & Barges around the Thames, might be worth asking there

Many thanks. I'm writing about the Strawberry Island Boat Club , and Olive functioned as its first moored boat and first clubhouse. I was interested in what happened to it subsequently.