Low profile vents

Bob692

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Bob692 said:

Are low profile vents BSS compliant? I am thinking of fitting a couple of these where I am going to fit solar panels, so the can lie flatter.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/vent-mc-tannoy-9-s-s-13509-av-112

I have had several boats with them fitted and they have all passed the BSS.

(Doesn't necessarily mean they comply, just that the examiners think they do)

IMG_20140428_124250.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Are low profile vents BSS compliant? I am thinking of fitting a couple of these where I am going to fit solar panels, so the can lie flatter.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/vent-mc-tannoy-9-s-s-13509-av-112

Yes as long as you take account of their free ventilation area and make sure it complies with the BSS.

I understand removing the fly trap screen will give a larger area  and putting spacers on the screws even more but as you want low profile the latter is not relevant.

30 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yuk!

Only suitable for plastic cruisers.

No respectable narrowboat owner should use them.

Proper mushroom vents are the only proper solution...

Times change.......

to ensuring you make rope handling much harder by trapping centre lines and getting torn off by the inevitable branches.

Never have understood the need for brass mushrooms that either look terrible or need constant polishing.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

to ensuring you make rope handling much harder by trapping centre lines and getting torn off by the inevitable branches.

Never have understood the need for brass mushrooms that either look terrible or need constant polishing.

Absolutely

However it's all part of doing boating properly (as imagined) - not just driving (!!)

I wondered why most boats these days have mushroom vents.......... So its a traditional/fashion thing. Even if they are infra dig they will be hidden under my solar panels and solar panels are hardly traditional but they are practical. Now I need to go a feed the horse thats pulling my boat.

Edited by Bob692
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I didnt think vents were obligitory anyway? Just advisable?

There's something about having to have hog and low level ventilation (and when I built) there was nothing terribly specific in the original BBS manual. Hence I made my own decision and studiously provided both.

I didn't care for the caravan type vents and IIRC liners or finishing plates weren't available  - so went for 'proper' brass thnigies made by someone in Leicester  - another 'traditional' metal worker, long since gone.

Standards change - hey ho.

14 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If you're fitting UFO vents, rejig the fixings so that you have 4 holes in the roof rather than umpteen as the standard fitting requires.  They are far from ideal in many ways.

Mine only have 4 screws -  at 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

I have found them "ideal", fully waterproof and 'sea-worthy' even when waves break over the roof.

CAM00350.jpg

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As has been said previously - the BSS has no 'say' over ventilation in Private boats (commercial boats is a different matter).

They can suggest that it may be better to have more ventilation but it is not a 'fail' not to have any ventilation.

Well I never.

Well I never.

It is well worth reading the BSS guidance so you are in a position of strength when your Examiner fails you on something that is not madatory.

Each section of the BSS has a letter in the top of the section 'box'.

It will be either an A or an R

A is 'advisory' and your non-compliance means it is not a fail just "in our experience it is better if you do it advisory", or

R which means it is required and mandatory.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Once you get dirt under the dome of those things you can't get it out, short of removing the domes (which involved drilling out the pop rivets in my case). Once the dirt accumulates, moss will start to grow in it, this in turn holds water, so the paint below fails and the cabin top starts to rust. The rust then creeps under the plastic inner part, eventually allowing water to leak through and drip into the boat, and further supporting the growth of plant life in the space between the vent unit itself and the inner cabin lining trim...

I have removed mine.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As has been said previously - the BSS has no 'say' over ventilation in Private boats (commercial boats is a different matter).

They can suggest that it may be better to have more ventilation but it is not a 'fail' not to have any ventilation.

However, not having any ventilation may result in a "fail" to live through the night!