Docking with center helm

rodlloyd

Featured Posts

On 11/12/2019 at 03:02, rodlloyd said:

With my new barge, I am having trouble perfecting docking alongside with my center helm narrow boat.  54ft long, the helm and where I need to step ashore is actually 1/3 the way back from the front.   This means I really need to be perfectly parallel to the bank when I step ashore.  With the center of turning half way, as the front comes in, the back goes out and vise-versa.  

I like to pride myself with good boat handling but docking with my new boat is hard to master.  Any suggestions please.

Canal boats almost always come in with one end close to the bank first. There's not much you can do to alter this. Best for you to ensure that you have adequate handrails etc and suitably positioned ropes to allow you to walk safely along the gunwale from the centre helm to bow or stern so you can then step off with a centre rope to pull the boat in.

OK my idea of a bow thruster doesn't seem to have been taken up.

So how about using your (extra long) boathook from the steering position to pull yourself in.

Or even a small rhode anchor on a short rope, to chuck onto the bank, and pull yourself in on that?

If you get the pointy end in first, and a reasonably shallow angle, that could work most times.

Bow thruster would be easier though!

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, rodlloyd said:

1.jpg

IMG_6488.JPG

IMG_0726.jpg

Ah, thats different - lovely boat, but not your standard narrowboat at all!

Forget the boathook suggestion - unless you can get the back end in first.

The grappling hook idea could still work though.

But really a bow/stern thruster is the real answer.

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Likewise.

Rod's photos suggest that his boat is both a barge and a narrowboat!

Narrowbarge?!

Looks nice anyway.

We have wide beam narrowboats, so why not a narrow barge. Much prettier than most canal fatties.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I'm not sure what the underwater profile of this boat is but with my tug with a round bilge, centre wheelhouse, and deep draft a completely different strategy is required to that with a narrowboat. Unless the water is very deep I always come to a slow stop well away from the bank, turn in at 45 degrees and bring the bow into the bank and just as you are about to hit the bank give the stern a nudge with the engine just to bring the stern in a bit If you are going too fast and try to stop the boat by going astern near the bank with such a powerful engine it will just push it away again before you have got out of the wheelhouse grabbed a line etc. If you have a crew let them jump off at the bow with a line but not hold the bow and get them to come to the centre/stern for a line. They can pick up the bow line later after you have got ashore. On canals I never expect to get right into the bank so it is a bonus when you do. Nice boat but like mine there is a lot of clambering in and out of the wheelhouse if you are short-handed.