Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

huami

Featured Posts

A short while ago I joined this group and was so impressed with the helpful responses I received.
Now the time has arrived that I'm in the final planning stages and on Monday and Tuesday 27/28th January I will be starting my search for a live aboard narrow boat.
I'm not looking for a large boat as I will be siglehanded and I'm hoping to find something for about 40000.oo.
I could really do with some advice as I am arriving from Thailand in the weekend and will be staying with a friend in London. I will need to travel by train but to where?
Someone recommended heading for Rugby then hiring a car and using Google maps to try to find some marinas that have boats for sale.
I may also have to find somewhere to stay on the Monday night (B and B).

Thanks again in advance and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

cleardot.gif

As well as Apollo Duck, one of the best places to start looking at lots of boats is Whilton Marina. Their website has lots of boats to browse, so you've got an idea before you get there, once there you can get the keys to three boats at a time and they'll leave you to look around. That's a good way to get an idea of what's on offer and more importantly what aspects of a boat appeal, eg stern type, layout, round or square windows. Whether you buy from there or not is up to you.

1 hour ago, p6rob said:

As well as Apollo Duck, one of the best places to start looking at lots of boats is Whilton Marina. Their website has lots of boats to browse, so you've got an idea before you get there, once there you can get the keys to three boats at a time and they'll leave you to look around. That's a good way to get an idea of what's on offer and more importantly what aspects of a boat appeal, eg stern type, layout, round or square windows. Whether you buy from there or not is up to you.

Hi ....  and thanks for the information.

Can you tell me if RUGBY would be the correct train station to get off to go to Whilton Marina?

Thanks

I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you're flying in, getting the train up from London and then hoping to procure a boat relatively quickly to live aboard?

If that's the case it's a bad idea. You need time to look at plenty of boats, decide which to get surveyed, book the dock or crane, etc, etc. It's not a quick process unless you run into it blindly, but then the chances of ending up wasting your £40K rise significantly.

I can't recall your budget, which would help us to look for you.

I assume you want something that looks smart, not in need of major investment.

This boat is small, but rather sweet, need to check hot water situation: https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/mike-heywood-43-traditional/626648

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3526web/3526abnb.php?BoatID=3526   ABNB are well established and always have a few decent boats. Brokered boats will always cost a bit more than private sales.

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3401web/3401abnb.php?BoatID=3401 worth a look .....

https://www.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/narrow-boats/barge ... different

You need a surveyor, best to find one now. A hull survey is almost essential, a full survey is worthwhile as a lot of the cost will be liftout, etc.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi ....  and thanks for the information.

Can you tell me if RUGBY would be the correct train station to get off to go to Whilton Marina?

Thanks

Beware of accepting any surveys that Whilton offer you that they've previously had done on boats they're selling. 

You should commission your own survey conducted by an independent surveyor, not one which Whilton recommends.

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C'mon you cannot expect the 'average voter' to actually read the question AND understand it.

in her defence, the font in first post is so tiny. (probably so because its a generic text, copy pasted across to multiple forums.)

Edited by restlessnomad

For accommodation in the Rugby area try the Barley Mow at Newbold.  Canalside and we were well looked after when we stayed there.  Also a pub in Brinklow  cannot remember the name but does bed and breakfast.

Rugby is a good station to get to, and is fairly convenient for all the midlands marinas.  Someone like Enterprise will either be able to deliver a car to you there, or a taxi to the Rugby office will be convenient.  Leamington Spa or Warwick are alternatives.  Avoid Parkway stations as they are often only designed for car access.

Good Luck.

N

With most brokers having websites, some being really quite good at it too, you'd be a mug to arrive without a shortlist of boats you'd like to  see, and even with appointments to see them.  This would allow you to make a much better travel and accomodation plan and better target your limited viewing opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The OP is 'normal' sized (and the same size as yours) on my LapTop.

In fairness, it is a wee bit smaller on my phone, which is probably why I didn't see it either. Oh, hang on... :D

(Truth to tell, I've done enough of this myself and was only taking the mickey - we all need to RTFQ sometimes)

• Happy 1

Hi Guyz and thanks for all the comments, they really are appreciated. 

I don't have any "rush" to buy but at the same time I don't like hanging around.

At the moment I seem to be set for London to Rugby or London to Long Buckby. 

I have been checking out Whilton Marina on line and they seem to have quite a choice.

Thanks to BEngo For {For accommodation in the Rugby area try the Barley Mow at Newbold.  Canal side and we were well looked after when we stayed there.  Rugby is a good station to get to, and is fairly convenient for all the midlands marinas.}

At the moment everything is "planning" and trying to get a short list together although I might be too soon and many that are now available may have already gone in a months time.

Anyway ... As usual .. Thanks again and please keep it coming!

Neil

1 hour ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi Guyz and thanks for all the comments, they really are appreciated. 

I don't have any "rush" to buy but at the same time I don't like hanging around.

At the moment I seem to be set for London to Rugby or London to Long Buckby. 

I have been checking out Whilton Marina on line and they seem to have quite a choice.

Thanks to BEngo For {For accommodation in the Rugby area try the Barley Mow at Newbold.  Canal side and we were well looked after when we stayed there.  Rugby is a good station to get to, and is fairly convenient for all the midlands marinas.}

At the moment everything is "planning" and trying to get a short list together although I might be too soon and many that are now available may have already gone in a months time.

Anyway ... As usual .. Thanks again and please keep it coming!

Neil

One place that i would recommend for viewing is Debdale wharf, they often have boats on brokerage but they have many out of the water which will give you a good insight as to what a selection of craft look like below the water. 

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

For accommodation in the Rugby area try the Barley Mow at Newbold.  Canalside and we were well looked after when we stayed there.  Also a pub in Brinklow  cannot remember the name but does bed and breakfast.

Rugby is a good station to get to, and is fairly convenient for all the midlands marinas.  Someone like Enterprise will either be able to deliver a car to you there, or a taxi to the Rugby office will be convenient.  Leamington Spa or Warwick are alternatives.  Avoid Parkway stations as they are often only designed for car access.

Good Luck.

N

The White lion offers b+b, and possibly the bulls head.