Middle Level Commissioners crack down on bank-side squatter boats,

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I met him last year, he introduced himself to me, gave me his card and was a perfect gent, but I wasn't taking the Pee

Precisely. I have found the same situation on all the waterways I have been on in the past thirty years to include the Bridgewater. 

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

Like this

IMG_20191210_133750800.jpg

Is that not just a request for you to contact them so they know when you arrived and can monitor the situation, much like going in to Bristol harbour except the large payment Bristol require. Nothing onerousabout that and quite polite surely? No where does it say we are going to seize your vessel or come anywhere close to it. 

Edited by mrsmelly

5 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

About 80 boats

This is likely to be considerably more than the available permanent moorings in the area I guess

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Local marinas have berths avaiable, These people don't want to pay or live with rules that you have in a marina or on moorings.

Those affected will range from could take a mooring but won't/don't want to, through those who entertain the notion of living "off-grid" (which isn't 100% practical in the UK) to those who have ended up in a ramshackle boat in an out of the way place having slipped past every better option on the way down having had little real choice in the matter 

Edited by magpie patrick

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Is that not just a request for you to contact them so they know when you arrived and can monitor the situation, much like going in to Bristol harbour except the large payment Bristol require. Nothing onerousabout that and quite polite surely? No where does it say we are going to seize your vessel or come anywhere close to it. 

Except we had already paid for an extra weeks stay 4 days earlier and when you phone the number or contact the email address no one answers of acknowledges. 

When finally after a few days and a complaint to whoever it was running BCC then we get an excuse that his computer wasn't working. As the only way you can book extra days is online you would think they would check regularly which boats had bought extra time.

Edited by pearley

39 minutes ago, Nut said:

its wrong for freeloaders to do what they do scrap the boats and give em a Big issue license but guess what that would be to much hard work for em.  Sell the boats for Viking burials at least a few bob will be made.

I don't think they give Big Issue licences to everyone who turns up and asks for one! And as far as I know, you can't sleep under one. I'm sure those who can afford moorings will get one,those who can move off somewhere else will, and as for the rest, it doesn't look like a few dead dossers in doorways are going to bother most people on here.

• Greenie 3

38 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think they give Big Issue licences to everyone who turns up and asks for one! And as far as I know, you can't sleep under one. I'm sure those who can afford moorings will get one,those who can move off somewhere else will, and as for the rest, it doesn't look like a few dead dossers in doorways are going to bother most people on here.

Sad isn't it

39 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I partly agree. However there are many many freeloaders that simply live on boats with zero intention of paying their way. Many crop up on here at quite frequent intervels asking how far etc to move to be a continuous cruiser.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Many crop up on here at quite frequent intervals asking how far etc to move to be a continuous cruiser.

But in so doing, they are recognising that there are rules which should be observed, even if reluctantly. They should not, therefore, be too roundly condemned.

Just now, Athy said:

But in so doing, they are recognising that there are rules which should be observed, even if reluctantly. They should not, therefore, be too roundly condemned.

You realy are a nice bloke aint you, I dont mean that whatsoever in a derogatory way. My best mate Kevin is in many ways like you, he always sees the best in people, hes a gentle soul and I often wish I were more like him in many ways ?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, nothing like it really, as far as I can see.

Tax, I know I have to pay it

Continual cruising I know I have to move to a new place every 14 day on a bonafide navigation.

Tax Avoidance, I don't want to pay a penny more than I have to  but I don't want to break the letter of the law but I don't mind the spirit.

Continual Cruising, I don't want to move an inch further than I need to from one spot but I don't want to break the rules but I don't mind the spirit of them,

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Some of the original navigators who dug the canals ended up living on the cut in dire conditions. Not necessarily in boats either.

Let's hope that there were more of the bleeding heart brigade around back then rather than heartless judgemental tories who make negative assumptions about people they've never met and have no idea about their lives, needs and hardships.

No doubt there were ignorant folk about even then who said that they should get themselves a job and pay their way rather than just be worthless freeloaders.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Tax, I know I have to pay it

Continual cruising I know I have to move to a new place every 14 day on a bonafide navigation.

Tax Avoidance, I don't want to pay a penny more than I have to  but I don't want to break the letter of the law but I don't mind the spirit.

Continual Cruising, I don't want to move an inch further than I need to from one spot but I don't want to break the rules but I don't mind the spirit of them,

I have a home mooring. I only have to move every 14 days. 

There are some people on boats who are really struggling.  And then there are those who know what their obligations are but try to avoid them.  There  would probably be a lot more sympathy for the former, both on here and by the relevant authorities, if the latter stopped trying to bend/avoid whatever rules apply to them.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

I just hope the commissioners start clearing the weed now, it's the reason I took my narrowboat off the middle level. Last summer a three hour trip would take five and a half! 

They do say that weed is a lot stronger than it used to be. Cool, man. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Athy said:

By-laws are, I believe, a form of legislation. But whatever you call 'em, they've passed 'em.

Bylaws are indeed law but, as the name implies, not primary legislation. The significance lies in the time taken in parliament. Have they enacted any new bylaws? I looked and could not find anything yet.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Bylaws are indeed law but, as the name implies, not primary legislation. The significance lies in the time taken in parliament. Have they enacted any new bylaws? I looked and could not find anything yet.

I could only find the 1875 byelaws on their website.  https://middlelevel.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/1875-byelaws.pdf