Middle Level Commissioners crack down on bank-side squatter boats,

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

It seems the Middle Level Commissioners now they have the powers. Are taking action against the lawless bank-side squatter boats who set-up camp on the Middle Levels after being kicked off the River Cam for their free-loading ways.

The riverbanks on the Middle Level apart from ones next to a road are privately owned (One of these land owners is a well known member on here). Many of the landowners have been putting pressure on the MLC to take action against these boats. Apart from not moving, it is the mess they are making on the bankside.

For many years, there had been agreement between local boaters and the landowners about mooring overnight, as long you moored at the end of the day and were gone next morning, leaving no sign that you been there. They did not mind you mooring overnight.

Staff from the Middle Level for the passed week have been travelling around the network informing the owners of these boats that they had three options.

1. Get a legal mooring (For which they would require a BSSC and Insurance)

2. Remove their boat or boats from the Middle Level waters

3. If they don't either 1 or 2, The MLC will remove the boat

This has not gone down well with some of the squatters who are yelling human rights and they will not be moved, while waving they batons (We all know which group they belong to). Others have setup camp on the council visitor (48 hours) moorings and now refuse to move. The remaineder have applied for mooings at the local marinas or heading to River Nene or the Great Ouse.

15 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Set fire to the first and most awkward, the rest will go,

As these boats are apparently occupied by their owners, perhaps not a wise move. I think you were joking, but....

16 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Set fire to the first and most awkward, the rest will go, where is another matter.

Sink then in a good spot as bank protection?

Tow them out to sea and scuttle?

Solve the housing crisis?

Provide sufficient residential moorings?

Try to understand why these people and boats exist nowadays?

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

As these boats are apparently occupied by their owners, perhaps not a wise move. I think you were joking, but....

No, just the boats, at the outset at least.

The others later if they don't take the hint.

Next year..............................No More Mister Nice Guy!!!

Nothing new, there have always been people willing to duck their responsibilities and take advantage of others.

Its just that these days the bleeding hearts brigade give then encouragement so there are more of them.

Some of the original navigators who dug the canals ended up living on the cut in dire conditions. Not necessarily in boats either.

Edited by Boater Sam
Deep feeling
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

I don't think there's a shortage of moorings - there's a major marina at March, and the rather smaller Bill Fen a few miles away, though I believe that the entrance criteria for the latter are quite strict.  Whether Fox's at March has spaces I have no idea - Firesprite will know.

14 minutes ago, Bee said:

Local marinas have berths avaiable, These people don't want to pay or live with rules that you have in a marina or on moorings.

Edited by nbfiresprite

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

In your dreams. They dont want to pay, thats why they are there. Its up to you and me to pay for everything for their use.

3 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Local marinas have berths avaiable, These people don't want to pay or live with rules that you have in a marina or on moorings.

People like that just screw it up for those that obey the (not hard to follow) rules.....they are just freeloaders ..not boaters! 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I don't recall his exploits ........

He has been mentioned here in the past. From what I remember, he is a moorings enforcement officer who takes a firm attitude towards miscreants.

Just now, Athy said:

He has been mentioned here in the past. From what I remember, he is a moorings enforcement officer who takes a firm attitude towards miscreants.

Ah, got it now! We're actually talking about the BridgEwater Canal. I was imagining high jinks in Somerset and, knowing the waterway fairly well, was surprised I'd heard nothing.

10 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Do these 'Squatter' boats have to have BSS cert's,insurance and some form of licence ? & just don't want to pay mooring fees? or are they just living outside the Law?

No they don't - but they soon will, as legislation has been passed in Parliament to allow the Middle Level to license boats and collect fees. So, they aren't outside the law at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

He generally has an overstay notice in his hand whilst waiting for you to tie up.......

1 hour ago, Athy said:

No they don't - but they soon will, as legislation has been passed in Parliament to allow the Middle Level to license boats and collect fees. So, they aren't outside the law at the moment.

Specifically making bylaws, rather than primary legislation.