Built In LPG Oven

JustTheJob

Featured Posts

Can anybody please suggest a built in oven that can be converted for LPG. It needs to fit a 60 cm wide kitchen cabinet so standard oven size really.

The problem we're having is the ovens we can see for sale all seem to need mains electric for things like grills and timers.

Many thanks :)

17 minutes ago, JustTheJob said:

Can anybody please suggest a built in oven that can be converted for LPG. It needs to fit a 60 cm wide kitchen cabinet so standard oven size really.

The problem we're having is the ovens we can see for sale all seem to need mains electric for things like grills and timers.

Many thanks :)

In which case they are not just ovens. 

Have to say, I don't think I've ever encountered a built in gas oven with a electric grill! Timers and trivial stuff like that yes, but not an electric grill. 

Yup. Needs a mains supply with a 3 amp fuse. So not more than 750W, and probably quite a lot less. You could fit a dedicated inverter if you don't have one fitted anyway.

A quick google for 12v lpg oven produces a few possibilities including https://www.spirit-leisure-accessories.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1145738-Spinflo-duplex-LPG-oven-and-grill-piezo-ignition.html

Edited by David Mack

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case they are not just ovens. 

Have to say, I don't think I've ever encountered a built in gas oven with a electric grill! Timers and trivial stuff like that yes, but not an electric grill. 

I think you’re wrong on two points: single ovens often have a second burner inside the top for grilling. On gas ovens most of these were also gas (we had one on our last boat) but now seem to be almost universally electric - probably because gas grills were useless. 
All-gas built in ovens are hard to find - I know; we are also looking for one. 

Edited by starman

6 minutes ago, starman said:

I think you’re wrong on two points: single ovens often have a second burner inside the top for grilling. On gas ovens most of these were also gas (we had one on our last boat) but now seem to be almost universally electric - probably because gas grills were useless. 
All-gas built in ovens are hard to find - I know; we are also looking for one. 

Curious how the market has shifted then, as I have fitted probably hundreds of gas-only built under single ovens back in the day. On reflection yes those with no fan were quite rare.

I agree with you about the gas grill being useless. Mine was until I may or may not have fitted the next size up of gas jet.......  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious how the market has shifted then, as I have fitted probably hundreds of gas-only built under single ovens back in the day. On reflection yes those with no fan were quite rare.

I agree with you about the gas grill being useless. Mine was until I may or may not have fitted the next size up of gas jet.......  

Yes the 230v fan is another irritation - and very hard to avoid on built-ins. I guess it’s a safety feature. We used to leave our oven door open after cooking to get the oven cooled quicker - and then kept tripping over it. 

Yes, according to this site, the model already pictured a couple of times, (which I think is sold both as Thetford and Spinflo) needs no mains electrical connections.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/thetford/spinflo/duplex/caravan/motorhome/oven/grill/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_rfvBRCPARIsANlV66Oqc57ukhY19uURf0SGEtZht07cbfMU3n-pY5Ex68Oei8gzGPOB3O8aAjoPEALw_wcB

EDIT:

Sorry I can now see you need a wider one.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

On some cookers the fan is essential. According to the manufacturer of one that we had, without the fan the control knobs would melt and the valves would leak. 

Yes true. I forgot, there are in fact two fans on the above oven. As soon as you start the burner, one is on all the time out of sight. That's likely the one doing the cooling of the controls etc.. The right hand knob in the photo controls the cooking fan which can be turned off.

So, the above oven DOES require a dinky amount of mains. Sorry

Does anybody know what year it was was that "knob wilt" arrived in Britain?  Before that, cookers's  knobs could endure the heat of the kitchen with aplomb, but ever since, they've needed fans to keep them from going soft.

edit:  I'm being serious here.  Was there a change in plastics used or was it some committee wanting to add more regulations in the guise of H&S?

Edited by system 4-50

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yup. Needs a mains supply with a 3 amp fuse. So not more than 750W, and probably quite a lot less. You could fit a dedicated inverter if you don't have one fitted anyway

Beware a lot of small inverters use over 1 amp doing nothing, some good large ones actually use less. Also a lot of electronic timers only work with pure sinewave inverters.

19 hours ago, JustTheJob said:

Well this thread escalated :)

We're ordering the oven from Midland. It uses some mains but we're happy it can run with an inverter when out and about as all heat is from gas. Thanks for pointing us in that direction.

Which one did you buy in the end - the CDA?