Webasco Boiler Costs??

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Whilst I realise it’s a bit of a “how long is a piece of string?” question I’m going to ask it anyway. The 57x10 boat I’m buying is fitted with a webasco central heating system which is running 4 radiators and a towel rail. Currently the boat doesn’t have a multi fuel stove ( but definitely considering installing one) so the heating for now is down to the webasco. Keeping the boat at a comfortable temperature how cost efficient is the webasco and what should I expect to be burning in diesel per day.

Edited by fergyguy

A typical 'wet' Webasto or Eberspacher will probably use around half a litre an hour or so if it's the usual 4 or 5 kw.  If you use it like home central heating it will spend a lot of time cycling into low power which can result them coking up, demanding more maintenance and shortening its life. Plenty of people do use them like this though - according to Eberspacher's investigation it's how their poor reputation for reliability was founded. You pays yer money.... ;)

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

A typical 'wet' Webasto or Eberspacher will probably use around half a litre an hour or so if it's the usual 4 or 5 kw.  If you use it like home central heating it will spend a lot of time cycling into low power which can result them coking up, demanding more maintenance and shortening its life. Plenty of people do use them like this though - according to Eberspacher's investigation it's how their poor reputation for reliability was founded. You pays yer money.... ;)

Whilst I agree with this old seadog that they CAN coke up and indeed do on most instalations, if done correctly they never cycle. My instalation never cycles, it runs continuously at the lower rate after reaching enough hotness!! If the bod fitting it knows his stuff the rads will all get hot but there will be the correct amount to give heat and keep running. The vast majority of boats simply havent enough pipes/rads. My system is superb and anyone wanting to look at how its done can have a look. 

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I agree with this old seadog that they CAN coke up and indeed do on most instalations, if done correctly they never cycle. My instalation never cycles, it runs continuously at the lower rate after reaching enough hotness!! If the bod fitting it knows his stuff the rads will all get hot but there will be the correct amount to give heat and keep running. The vast majority of boats simply havent enough pipes/rads. My system is superb and anyone wanting to look at how its done can have a look. 

Fazackerly.  Far too many fits, most I suspect, are either under piped, under loaded, or both. Mine's under piped with some 10mm JG Speedfit to the reds - convenient for the builder, but against the manufacturer's fitting advice. I have an ear out for it in use and only run it in full demand. That's ok - an hour in the morning gives me a tank of hot water and a warm boat before any short cycling occurs, by which time the stove is back up to speed. Perfect.

Mostly, I offer, there's a tendency to think a 5kw unit beats a 4kw in any circumstances, but a fully loaded 4kw working hard will likely outlive a 5kw with an easy life. Better sounding in the spec, maybe, but not necessarily better in practice. Whatever the fit, make sure it works hard for a living.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

??????

One of the Royal ordnance factories that built Lee Enfield rifles.

Built there because, I believe, of the short supply lines involved in sustaining the workers from the jam butty mines at Knotty Ash.

• Happy 1