olegmenshov

Featured Posts

Hi there)))! I found out that I have a leaking from shut-off lever. If someone had a problem and fixed it that please give the brief guide how to stop leaking. Seriously, i don't know how to resolve the problem . I never dealt with fuel pump (too smart for me)

My engine is Thornycroft T90 (1980), fuel pump is CAV

IMG_20191201_202714.jpg

Edited by olegmenshov

There are a couple of O rings on that shaft that wear and they have to be replaced. I did one a long long time ago but what I did has long been forgotten. Taking that shaft out is not straightforward but is reasonably easy IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I thought I had seen a video of the procedure at the time but whether it was on here or on Youtube I cannot remember. I have looked on Youtube and cannot find it so whilst you are waiting for somone more knowledgable than me to come along try the awful search facility to see if you can turn up any information.

Partial help here   

Edited by pete.i
  • Happy 1

Hmmm I found the thread that I used when I had this problem. Unfortunately the poster has removed the pictures. I did have the pictures when I had my BMC 1.5 but they were in the engine manual and I have since sold my boat that had a BMC and all the bits and bobs that went with that engine.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/52164-leaking-fuel-pump-repair-bmc-15/

• Happy 1

Right I found those pictures and some other stuff. Not sure whether the Tornycroft is a BMC 1.5 but this stuff is for a BMC 1.5. Obviously if your engine is not a 1.5 then the other stuff will not apply but the CAV injector pump is the same. Anyway hope these help.

HHMM this wont let me upload the files as they are not in an allowed format there ya go. I can extract the fuel pump pictures from the Word docs but that will take some time BRB.

Hopefully they will help somewhat.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

I believe the Thornycroft T90 and T108 engines are the BMC 1500 and BMC 1800 respectively.

I think the "90" and "108" are the cubic capacity in cubic inches

90 cu ins  = 1475cc
108 cu ins = 1770 cc

(or thereabouts!)

• Happy 1

I did another reply to this thread but it got lost in the ether, oh well lets try again.

I did not find it particularly easy when I did the two that I repaired but then I am not a mechanic. There are a couple of very important caveats, that Tony Brooks mentioned in one of his posts on this subject, not the least of which is "absolute cleanliness" when carrying out this repair. Not easy in the depths of an engine bay.

• Happy 1