Sleeping arrangements - along the way, or across the way?

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

We’ve slept in our back cabin for the last 28 or so years...I’m 6ft 2in...luckily the OH is 5ft 2in! Only occasionally do I kick her into the engine room....we used to have the cat share the pillows too! I do sleep diagonally but I love it...we stay in a lot of hotels with massive beds for work..and never get a decent nights sleep...much rather be tucked up on the boat. 

• Greenie 1

On 08/12/2019 at 03:17, Ange said:

There's no way I'd want to disassemble then reassemble my bed every day. That'd definitely be the deal breaker.

I dont find it a problem, not hardly any more work than making a double each day especially if you cant reach the far side 

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont find it a problem, not hardly any more work than making a double each day especially if you cant reach the far side 

Same with us, king size cross bed pulls out on interlaced slats and rests on small shelf above a radiator. To put it away, simply fold the split mattress onto the fixed bit of the bed, complete with fitted bottom sheet and duvet, then slide the slats in.

Took me longer to type that than to put the bed away or pull it out and make it! ?

The only problem is for taller people, who have to sleep diagonally, but with a king size (and it's still shorter than an longeways bed) there is more room to do that.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The only problem is for taller people, who have to sleep diagonally

Tall people just use more resources for little or no gain in a narrowboat, where there aren't even any particularly high shelves for them to be useful.  Anyone taking up vertical space in excess of one fathom should be folded in half at bed time. ;)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Tall people just use more resources for little or no gain in a narrowboat, where there aren't even any particularly high shelves for them to be useful.  Anyone taking up vertical space in excess of one fathom should be folded in half at bed time. ;)

If peeps bought a whole boat and not somett tifddy like say 60 foot,  then the dreaded cross bed would never have been invented.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If peeps bought a whole boat and not somett tifddy like say 60 foot,  then the dreaded cross bed would never have been invented.

I believe that it was invented some years ago, and installed in many whole boats carrying freight along our waterways.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I like people buying 60ft+ boats....keeps the better waterways like the L & L, Rufford branch and HBC free for us persons with sensible boats...not to mention nice spaces we can nip into at crowded mooring sites! 

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You make a good general point here Tim but, when it comes to bedtime in a narrowboat, it's not just the length that counts: it's also about the width. ;)

• Haha 1

We're liveaboards on a 57ft NB we have a cross over bed full sized double which gives ample room at either side for a wardrobe each, and takes about a minute tops to pull out, drop the split mattress into place and climb in. Takes about the same to put away each morning and gives a walkway to stern for access.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Likewise if peeps weren't confined within the restrictive beam of narrow boats you wouldn't even be having this conversation: crawling over the bed to get through the boat; remaking and packing the bed up everyday; being forced to sleep diagonally... It's ok if you're not living aboard I suppose, but surely life's too short.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Likewise if peeps weren't confined within the restrictive beam of narrow boats you wouldn't even be having this conversation: crawling over the bed to get through the boat; remaking and packing the bed up everyday; being forced to sleep diagonally... It's ok if you're not living aboard I suppose, but surely life's too short.

I absolutely agree!! I had to buy another sewer tube last time. However things may be changing and I may be buying a proper boat with a sensible beam again soon????

• Greenie 1

We have a permanent cross bed in the rear cabin. There is no acces to the engine room therefore no diesel or oil smells either.!!

We have a large opening hatch in the cabin and a its only 3 steps to the side hatch.

We sleep rather well...

On 07/12/2019 at 15:47, Athy said:

Oooh, almost as much a bone of contention as cassette v pump-out toilets!

We have a cross-bed. It is very comfortable. But I am five feet ten and a bit, my wife is a little less tall. If you're about six feet tall or over, you probably won't be able to stretch out fully on a cross-bed with out going a bit diagonal.

They're a good space-saver, occupying only 4'6" of the boat's length as opposed to 6'3" or so. Also, they can be full double-bed width (most longitudinal "double" beds are only four feet wide).

The case for the opposition will be along shortly, I'm sure.

my narrowboat has a lengthways bed which is 4'6" wide.  There is enough room to walk past it, but my layout means I don't have to do this much..  The reason most narrowboats have 4' beds is because they have daft layouts where it's necessary to keep squeezing past it to get from the helm to the living room/kitchen.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

my narrowboat has a lengthways bed which is 4'6" wide.  There is enough room to walk past it, but my layout means I don't have to do this much..  The reason most narrowboats have 4' beds is because they have daft layouts where it's necessary to keep squeezing past it to get from the helm to the living room/kitchen.

Yes, that's quite correct: the four-foot-wide size allows sufficient room to walk through the bedroom without having to do one's crab impersonation.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

And the reason they have daft layouts is because the boats the beds are within have daft beams, and that's because they built daft locks!