Inverter Issue

Moosey

Featured Posts

So, I have checked my batteries and the bank of 4 show 12v on my multimeter and I have taken the inverter out, hooked it to the car battery and it works fine.

When I hook it back to the boat battery bank, it does this .... any ideas gratefully received.

MOV_0007 copy.jpg

If your batteries are showing 12v then they are discharged (about 12.7 -12.8 is fully charged when tested at least 1 hour after charging has finished and there is nothing using any power)

Try turning everything off, start your engine and get it up to about 1200-1300 RPM and see if the inverter works OK.

If it does then you need to charge your batteries for (probably) 8 hours.

If your batteries have been left for any period of time at 12v then they will have become damaged (sulphated) and may need replacing.

Getting batteries FULLY charged is a boaters biggest challenge.

Try and see if running the engine improves the situation, then come back with the result.

Yep, video doesnt work on my Mac.

When quoting voltages, try and quote to at least one place of decimals.... so 12.5V rather than 12V

.....and try and take the voltage with zero loads (or as near as you can to none) and NO solar input.

How old are your batteries and how do you make sure they are fully charged on a regular basis?

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yep, video doesnt work on my Mac.

When quoting voltages, try and quote to at least one place of decimals.... so 12.5V rather than 12V

.....and try and take the voltage with zero loads (or as near as you can to none) and NO solar input.

How old are your batteries and how do you make sure they are fully charged on a regular basis?

The video doesnt work on a proper computer either :D

It will prob be a case of flat and or quite likely knackered by now batteries.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The video doesnt work on a proper computer either :D

That’ll be because the video is in fact a still. 

Bit I can guess what would be in it: an inverter going “eeeeee”. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’ll be because the video is in fact a still. 

Bit I can guess what would be in it: an inverter going “eeeeee”. 

With some flashing lights as well i guess. 7 hours since the OP posted, could have charged his battery's by now.

You fellas are quite right....`'eeeeee`' with green and red light dying out.

I do believe I have sulphated batteries so I'll change them out....thanks all for your input I have learned a lot :)

2 minutes ago, Moosey said:

You fellas are quite right....`'eeeeee`' with green and red light dying out.

I do believe I have sulphated batteries so I'll change them out....thanks all for your input I have learned a lot :)

It is imperative that you learn how to charge your batteries, otherwise your new ones could be 'toast' within a matter of weeks.

How do you charge your batteries currently (Battery charger, generator, engine) ?
For how long do you charge them ?

How do you monitor your battery SoC (State of Charge)

How do you know when to start charging ?

How do you know when to stop charging ?

Have you done an electrical audit to assess your daily usage (in Ah) ?