Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
1st ade

Supplemenary Lenses for mobile phone camera

Featured Posts

Yesterday I made the effort to take my trusty DSLR and 55-200 zoom out on a walk. I did so as I knew there was subject matter worth taking and I think the results show I was right

1223136315_UoSA(1of3).jpg.ec9caaa680b2802f5dec139292cc09aa.jpg

If I hadn't known in advance, I'd have had my Samsung phone. No matter that modern phone's are very competent camera's; they don't cut the mustard when you need to zoom in across an industrial estate (or conversely when you are very close and can't back off)

Supplementary lenses for phone's seem to promise miracles. Has anyone tried them, are they any good, are they difficult to align? In short is spending £20 on something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Telephoto-235°Fisheye-Starburst-Samsung/dp/B07C7BNQBQ going to spoil my Christmas?

Thanks

My own thoughts - if you're not going to take a camera with you, just your phone, you're unlikely to pick up the extra lens. 

If you are willing to take the lens with you, then you'd be much better having a point and click camera with a good zoom on the lens.

I don't take my DSLR out often, but do take my trusty Lumix TZ70 with me.

Kevin

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Nice picture.  The Massey Ferguson MF50 is not a common backhoe these days.

You got there first - Ha! Ha!

The 'train' guard appears to be looking at the Massey as well...

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

Nice picture.  The Massey Ferguson MF50 is not a common backhoe these days.

Recropped for you...

359599321_Backhoe(1of1).jpg.fd846ede6e82e633a4925d83d65ab478.jpg

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I bought a set of these mobile phone lenses once, tried them when I got home and have never seen them since.

Which is the fate I fear mine would suffer

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Yesterday I made the effort to take my trusty DSLR and 55-200 zoom out on a walk. I did so as I knew there was subject matter worth taking and I think the results show I was right

If I hadn't known in advance, I'd have had my Samsung phone. No matter that modern phone's are very competent camera's; they don't cut the mustard when you need to zoom in across an industrial estate (or conversely when you are very close and can't back off)

I use a DSLR all the time for my bird photography. For me the amount of glass in a lense is proportional to its performance. Mobile phone cameras are a great invention but nothing beats a good DSLR with a 'pro' lens. It costs though!

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

For me the amount of glass in a lense is proportional to its performance

Agree 100%

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It costs though!

It's not just the cost but the faff factor; especially when I've already got dog, poo bags, treats, whistle, lead, tennis ball, spare tennis ball...

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Agree 100%

It's not just the cost but the faff factor; especially when I've already got dog, poo bags, treats, whistle, lead, tennis ball, spare tennis ball...

At least with a Husky we have no need for a whistle (he ignores it), tennis balls or other toys ( he doesn’t understand what they are for, after all, he can’t eat them). A lead he treats as something designed to enable him to make me spin round in a circle when he stops to eat something unmentionable that he finds in a ditch, and most of the time he doesn’t need to be on it anyway.

DSLR cameras are a bit of a faff, I agree, but worth it.

7 hours ago, Kendorr said:

My own thoughts - if you're not going to take a camera with you, just your phone, you're unlikely to pick up the extra lens. 

If you are willing to take the lens with you, then you'd be much better having a point and click camera with a good zoom on the lens.

I don't take my DSLR out often, but do take my trusty Lumix TZ70 with me.

I was about to post something similar about my TZ70, which is a great little camera. Unfortunately mine has developed a focus and lens fault which needs sorting, thankfully still under warranty. 

I still have a Sony NEX6 interchangeable lens camera which I'll probably sell on soon. While the photos are of a bit better quality than the TZ70, for what I use them for it makes little difference, and im a lot less likely to have it with me at most times compared to the TZ70. 

On 07/12/2019 at 15:42, Rumsky said:

I was about to post something similar about my TZ70, which is a great little camera. Unfortunately mine has developed a focus and lens fault which needs sorting, thankfully still under warranty. 

I still have a Sony NEX6 interchangeable lens camera which I'll probably sell on soon. While the photos are of a bit better quality than the TZ70, for what I use them for it makes little difference, and im a lot less likely to have it with me at most times compared to the TZ70. 

I recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro and since then, with the exception of when I need a good zoom,  my thousands of pound of cameras have hardly left their camera bags, the camera on the iPhone is superb

Edited by Tim Lewis

Thanks for the replies - so; alternative question, which compact or pocket camera? I've seen two votes for the Lumix TZ70 (one tempered by failure under warranty). Any other contenders?

41 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Thanks for the replies - so; alternative question, which compact or pocket camera? I've seen two votes for the Lumix TZ70 (one tempered by failure under warranty). Any other contenders?

I haven't used the TZ70 but I have used other Lumix cameras and their Leica lens have, for the price of the camera, been brilliant.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

I've already mentioned the Lumix TZ70. I've used the Lumix cameras for about 15 years, my first was the TZ7. I've just looked on ebay and there are 13 for sale, this one being the cheapest at £20 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ7-10-1MP-Digital-Camera/254447418886?epid=170174775&hash=item3b3e3f7e06:g:v0sAAOSwJU5d7T6F

I can't bring myself to part with the TZ7 as it is a brilliant little camera. If you just want something cheap and cheerful, I recommend you look at a used TZ7, you won't be disappointed with it.

• Greenie 1