River Trent & Soar

r&slambert

Featured Posts

I think all of the reports I've seen have been folks coming down-stream and they have said 'interesting' or 'exciting'.

You will be going against the flow, how confident are you about running at high revs and not overheating ?

A lot of rain last night and the 1st 'named' storm of the year forecast for after this weekend. Its not looking good.

Saturday not bad - rain Saturday night, but Sunday is constant 20+ mph wind with gusts 35-40mph

Monday dry but wind gusting 30-35mpg

later in the week the wind continues at 30mph+ with rain Wednesday and TORRENTIAL rain on Thursday

Friday very windy and next Saturday up to 55mph gusts.

If you don't need to move it may be worth hanging around another week or so.

If you must go, then go Tomorrow or Saturday, if you can't than tie up tight and get some food, & water in, empty the toilet and sit tight.

It was do-able until today - the forecast weather for the next week means that it may well become unsafe for narrowboats again pretty quickly. You may be able to do it in stages, get to Beeston and see what the levels are like. The worst section (flow wise) is just below Cranfleet lock where you may have to run at high revs.

The Soar rises quickly and tends too go down quickly too, the Trent once it goes up is pretty slow to drop back to reasonable levels - the flow is as important as the height.

It is 1 days trip - tommorow could be the last chance for a while.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

I was at Sileby today and whilst the level indicated it was amber the flow was considerable. I watched a cygnet get swept over the weir as it couldn't swim fast enough. I had also tentatively agreed to tow a boat to Syston but after looking at the flow changed my mind and said I wouldn't do it as it would have been against the flow. Any heavy rain will bring the Soar back into flood.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, r&slambert said:

Thanks for your replies  it looks like we will leave  it where it is for now

We've been trying to move the boat to new moorings in zouch for months now

Storm-force winds are set to batter Britain this weekend with gusts of up to 70mph.

Met Office forecasters say an area of low pressure, named Storm Atiyah by Irish weather service Met Eireann, is expected to move from the west of the country across to the east late on Sunday going into Monday.

A yellow severe weather warning has been issued for the west coast of Wales and southwest of England.

The warning is from 3pm on Sunday and currently runs through to 9am on Monday.

Inland, winds are expected to reach 50-60mph and 70mph around the coast with large coastal waves expected.

Western parts of Northern Ireland and Scotland are are also forecast to be hit with gusts of up to 57mph overnight.

Forecasters say the low-pressure is expected to move to the east coast of north England and Scotland in the early hours of Monday morning with gusts up to 55mph.

Source : Sky News