Merlin back in boat electronics. Offering 80% DoD Lead batteries

Featured Posts

After winning a 20-year contract for the product with the US Army and a focus on the project for the last four years, Merlin is now refocusing on the marine market with several new products.

As one of the few British manufacturers in the sector, Merlin launched its new range of PowerCell lithium batteries, solar panels and battery management systems at the 2019 Southampton International Boat Show.

“I have been congratulated by many trade and retail customers on our return to the boatshow,” said MD James Hortop. “It is clear to me that there are many box shifters in the market but very few engineering companies who know how it all goes together.”

The company has also been appointed UK distributor for TBS Electronics for its inverters, chargers, monitors and combis and the UK exclusive distributor for Fullriver Batteries. 

These batteries are pure lead deep cycle AGM cells that be cycled to 80% depth of discharge and have a five-year warranty.

“With their cyclic life and ability to heavily deep discharge, their performance is highly comparable to lithium cells,” added James.

Merlin has been appointed as a UK distributor for TBS Electronics

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

£330 for 115Ah simple charging from a battery charger or alternator.

https://cdn.taynabatteries.eu/datasheets/DC115-12.pdf

I can buy 140ah LifePo4s for £250 each so they arnt worth the bother really as Mike says I can leave them at 10% charged for a year with no probs

I'd suggest that the simplicity, and the fact that we are 'used to working with LA batteries', and, don't need any fancy charging arrangements will appeal to some.

I'm pretty sure that if Merlin did not see a market for them they would not be offering them as Merlin already offer Lithium batteries and 'systems'.

I think as has been pointed out, Lithiums would not be much good for me (on the sea) as they are still a bit delicate.

• Greenie 1

I wonder who makes them for Merlin? I'll bet they don't make their own batteries.

When I was with BT I worked with Yuasa to develop some 100Ah pure lead VRSLA's which could reliably be taken down to 10% DoD and have a 10 year life.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It says in the article :

Teach me not to "speed read" articles. ?

Mind you I've never heard of Fullriver Batteries, possibly manufactured by a Chinese company.

https://www.fullriverbattery.com/

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

43 minutes ago, peterboat said:

as Mike says I can leave them at 10% charged for a year with no probs

How is that an advantage to you? Anyone as interested in batteries and his boat as you are surely isn't gonna leave their boat for a year with batteries at low charge?

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

How is that an advantage to you? Anyone as interested in batteries and his boat as you are surely isn't gonna leave their boat for a year with batteries at low charge?

Even a couple of weeks sitting at 10% will seriously reduce the life of these batteries especially in winter, whereas mine are unaffected by this, accidents happen and batteries end up nearly flat

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Anyone as interested in batteries and his boat as you are surely isn't gonna leave their boat for a year with batteries at low charge?

No, but I'd be interested to see any LA batteries that can be used like I've used my LiFePO4 bank in the last two weeks and not suffer serious damage.

MP

Screenshot from 2019-12-06 18-34-19.png

• Greenie 1